• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

how cold is too cold?

Dirtman2007

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
wow someone found the underground spring! Could the stuck machine still be used to help pull itself out or was the motor flooded with water.

RioCan

I work in Northern Canada and we don't shut down for low temperatures. We have worked plenty of days at -40C and -50C. We run Cat graders and dozers, Komatsu trucks and P&H shovels at these temps. The equipment isn't as productive but we keep a close eye on it.

Dad5

I work in Northern Canada and we don't shut down for low temperatures. We have worked plenty of days at -40C and -50C. We run Cat graders and dozers, Komatsu trucks and P&H shovels at these temps. The equipment isn't as productive but we keep a close eye on it.

Ah yes, the joys of Northern Labrador. My experience is the same as RioCan, keep running regardless of temps. Synthetic oils are a big help, good fuel and good maintenance. The only thing that shuts down the mine sites where I work is white out conditions because of safety. -72 is the coldest I have worked in. Speaking from a mechanics stand point it takes a long time to get things done outside in those temps. Frostbite, wind burn and skin freezing instantly when it contacts metal are some of the issues that we deal with. -25, sunny and no wind is actually very nice to work in due to the lack of humidity in the sub artic winter. The best part about the winter is no mud and the ice and snow fills in the holes on the haul roads making them very smooth.

ben46a

Nothing like digging up a 5 year old post dave! Lol You must be bored! I have to agree, -25 isn't too bad. My first night hift it was -56 and I had to get new 797s that had been sitting for 3 months with summer fuel going. Learning experience for sure. But the boss told me "don't usee mor than a 3 second spray of ether or it may hurt the engine" I guess 200L displacement 4000 hp engines don't like a much ether as a 6-71 on a cool day.

Dad5

Nothing like digging up a 5 year old post dave! Lol You must be bored! I have to agree, -25 isn't too bad. My first night hift it was -56 and I had to get new 797s that had been sitting for 3 months with summer fuel going. Learning experience for sure. But the boss told me "don't usee mor than a 3 second spray of ether or it may hurt the engine" I guess 200L displacement 4000 hp engines don't like a much ether as a 6-71 on a cool day.

Somebody has to keep things rollin here Ben! I spent some time in the seat of the Kobelco today.