1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

how cold is too cold?

Discussion in 'Other Earthmoving Equipment' started by 637slayer, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Alexander Rus

Alexander Rus Member

740s

Attached Files:

2. Alexander Rus

Alexander Rus Member

D6rii

Attached Files:

3. wormkiller

wormkiller Well-Known Member

IUOE Local 150
    Awesome! IT was -10 F this morning, two pick ups couldnt start, nothing in th yard started and ran outta shop work. I felt tired of the cold, but those pictures show I aint got it too bad. Thanks.

4. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Senior Member

Alexander, welcome to the forum!!:drinkup

From my experience, mostly with heavy trucks, the #1 problem has been fuel filter waxing/plugging.

The fuel won't have gotton to the point it's changed from liquid to solid yet, but rather the wax in the fuel starts to..............to "drop out", (I guess for a lack of a better example), and these wax particles can't pass through the filter element. The enigne might start and even run, but flow is reduced so much that the engine won't do much more than idle, or it may even quit.

Cutting it with #1, kerosene, and/or adding alot of fuel anti-gel solves the problem.

We've had a spell of nightime temps between -10 and -25F for about the last week. I've changed out 2 sets of filters so far on my semi even with having added anti-gel. It'll start, but won't go down the road. I've now switched to blending 50/50 #1 instead, until it warms up.

Also, thanks for the great pics.

On Edit: Alexander, since you're the only Russian I've seen joining in here (HEF), could you take a peek at this other thread of mine and see if you've an answer or opinion about my Russian tanks converted into Ag. equipment question.

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=2369&highlight=questions

Was I right or am I going crazy??

Last edited: Jan 26, 2008
  5. alan627b

alan627b Senior Member

Heavy Equipment Operator
    The Adventure Continues

I got to work this morning, and did not see the backhoe in it's usual place...happened to catch something out of the corner of my eye....one reeeeaaally buried Cat 330C.....this time they brought in another dozer (D4C)
    another hoe (the same 325C as last time) and several big towing cables.....we spent 8 of the 10 hours we were there digging and pulling to get the hoe out!
    Unfortunately, I didn't have the camera this time, but God what a mess! We had both dozers, the 325C and the D350 off road truck all cabled together and finally pulled it free about 4:30 this afternoon. I sure hope they come up with a better plan soon, like maybe getting a dragline instead of a hoe....at least this time, it wasn't my fault!
    Alexander, welcome to the board, your pics look a lot worse than we have it, even though some of them look like our situation this morning! Our hoe as stuck about like that Hitachi, except in mud.
    Try to imagine a chocolate pie, with a thin crust and a lot of pudding for filling.....
    It's going to get real interesting next week, when it gets up in the upper
    40's/lower 50's and this whole mess thaws out! I didn't work yesterday, as the dozer had it's fuel system freeze up after it got down to -9F the night before.
    Stay tuned folks, I'm sure it's not over yet....
    alan627b

Last edited: Jan 26, 2008
  6. joedirt

joedirt Well-Known Member

Alexander,
    Boy that does look cold. That pic of the D6R reminds me of the other night. I was plowing snow with our D5N. Had some big 12 foot or so drifts and the wind was blowing hard. Long story short, the snow built up around the little steps where the doors hinge open. You guest it, I was stuck in the cab. I couldn't get the freekin doors open. I'm to darn fat to go out the side windows so I devised another plan. I stood an old branch up in the snow with the dozer blade and grabbed it through the side window. I then proceeded for about an hour to peck at the snow on the outside of the cab from sitting in the operators seat. I finally got out.. Good grief..

7. 637slayer

637slayer Senior Member

scraper hand
    well we are in a heat wave and goin strong here in wy three days straight no cold related problems, lows of -5 at night and highs in the 20s, never shut em off. even when it was -30s i think we still had it better than alexander those pics looked terribly frigid, how long was that hoe and six sitting there to get that covered in ice and snow?

8. alco

alco Senior Member

Well, it's -41 right now without the windchill. With the wind they say we're down to about -48 right now. We haven't started to slow down yet.

Brian

9. Big Iron

Big Iron Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    With the drill on the crane about 40 to 45 below.
    Heres why the oiler position is not the most sought after position on the Slope. My oiler heading up to knock some ice of the crowd plates, he may smiling:) but he ain't happy:mad:!!
    Don't ask why i'm out looking up at the drill, I have no business looking at the drill, I have no business being more than 3' from the cab heaters, must have been temporary insanity:beatsme!

Attached Files:

10. 637slayer

637slayer Senior Member

scraper hand
    your oiler looks way too happy for 45 below, he must like his job.

11. MKTEF

MKTEF Senior Member

Production manager
    For the D6:

I was working on a site in the high mountains up north 20 years ago.:)
    We parked a Toyota Hi-Ace for the weekend up on the worksite.(good old work car.)
    Bad idea.....
    Monday morning the whole car was filled with snow.:eek:
    The wind and snowdrift had found its way trough the door gaskets, filling the whole car with snow.
    And i am talking about completely packed, no air left inside the car.:mad:

We used showels to empty most of it, started it, and the heater did the rest.

I have to admit the area has a special snow, as it blows to and from, the snowcrystals get smal and round by the wear on the rest of the snow.
    So the crystals are smal, and when wind is strong, be aware...:confused:
    So i would recomend that u think of where u park up in the mountains...

12. xkv8r

xkv8r Active Member

I was just reading it was -67 f in O'brien Falls,Alaska , and -45 in Fairbanks.

13. surfer-joe

surfer-joe Senior Member

It's just terrible here today, right at 80 degrees with a light breeze, mostly sunny with some scattered very high clouds!:D

14. BIGBEN2004

BIGBEN2004 Well-Known Member

The east coast is finally getting some colder weather now. Tonight it is going down to about 10F with the winds at a steady 30-40 MPH and gust up to 60 MPH. The windchill in the morning is going to be around -10F they said. That is allot colder then what we have been having lately. Just the other day it was almost 70F. I want summer to come faster.

15. tylermckee

tylermckee Senior Member

coldest we get is about 20 degrees around here

16. pwrstroke6john

pwrstroke6john Well-Known Member

Its -2 right now in michigan and okay if it doesnt get any colder. I really dont know how you guys in canada and alaska do it, I guess the coldness must grow on you something

17. alan627b

alan627b Senior Member

Heavy Equipment Operator
    Things are going much better on our pond job, partly due to the cold weather and the Komatsu long reach PC200 they rented. It does take a while to move a large amount of material with a 1/2 yard bucket, but it beats getting buried!
    Here's a couple of pics of one of our other jobs last summer, this one was really buried!

Attached Files:

18. alan627b

alan627b Senior Member

Heavy Equipment Operator
    More disaster pics....

Attached Files:

19. Construct'O

Construct'O Senior Member

Dozerwork,tiling plus many more!!!!!!!
    Only good thing i can say is i'm glad it wasn't mine!!!!!!!!

So how'd it get that far out in the pond to start with?

20. bobcat ron

bobcat ron Banned

playing with the new 247 MTL
    There must be a layer of mush under all that hard soil!