• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How cold before you don't work?

dirtdigger130

Really cold

We work when the phone rings we dont go buy the thermometer we have turned the keys at negitive 29 below ,we have ripped 4 feet of frost to get footings in not fun but I make sure its a open check book job.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
My personal lowest working temp was Big Sky, MT at minus 43. Ground heaters made it possible if not ridiculous, but you turn wheels when you can.

grandpa

Last edited:

mitch504

Granpa, if you look on your graphic, you'll see that not far from me it was 55/24. That's too cold for me to be happy, but I have fought fire laying in the water during the coldest temp we've had here in many years, 4 farenheit.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
I can always warm up if cold but if the temp is above 80 it is time to call it a day and go fishing.

Ross

If the trucks and shovels are working then we are working .. Regardless .. be it we work on a Out in the cold, back in the truck ratio

Am confuzzed with the temps .. -25f ?

Then theres a How hot before you dont work thread in the making

Try 30 - 35C + 100% humidity .. Theres no getting away from it .. When its -30C you can always pull the Tough Duck jacket on. No way to escape the heat.

grandpa

Yup, agree with you guys on the heat,,, grampa can always put on more clothes to stay warm, but if he starts taking clothes off,,, well it just aint a pretty thing.,

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Yeah, but you don't have to shovel heat....:cool2

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
If its below freezing we don't work. Even if you wanted to it would take 3+hrs to get there on side streets. Since all our freeway have tons of overpasses and there solid ice.

Accudraulics

In Winnipeg Manitoba Canada we have ten months of winter and two months of poor sledding. I've worked on -60 C with the wind chill factor and driven truck in howling whiteout blizzards with ice packed roads. It needs to be done so we do it, only have one choice do it. Tomorrow will be the same great weather. Welcome to Winterpeg!

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I had 18 months in Siberia on the open-pit coal mines. We used to park up machinery when the temperature hit -45C (-49F) because below that temperature steel does weird & not-so-wonderful things. That was still air temperature not including wind-chill though. Like Ross says the heat, or more specifically the humidity, is what kills you. Summer temperatures here will be above 30C 24 hours/day and humidity over 90% for maybe 3 months continuously. The sweat just drips off you.

Yesterday was January 1st and had my traditional New Year's Day dip in the Caribbean ........ not much wrong with that.

Ross

I had 18 months in Siberia on the open-pit coal mines. We used to park up machinery when the temperature hit -45C (-49F) because below that temperature steel does weird & not-so-wonderful things. That was still air temperature not including wind-chill though. Like Ross says the heat, or more specifically the humidity, is what kills you. Summer temperatures here will be above 30C 24 hours/day and humidity over 90% for maybe 3 months continuously. The sweat just drips off you.

Yesterday was January 1st and had my traditional New Year's Day dip in the Caribbean ........ not much wrong with that.

Aye the cold can effect equipment real bad .. Cummins power machines fair better as it pumps hot fuel back to the tank .. Some of the cat gear sufferes from Fuel Gelling .. Detriots aleft running regarless as they light up on you when over fueling cold .. The good thing about real cold is its real real dry here .. Great for air systems .. Its worse at -5 as everything freezes ..

BUT: The Tropics are the worse eh Nige, Sitting between the banks of a C32 thats showing 89C on the coolant gauge and its smoking hot out with the humidity .. Ciggy box just falling apart and having to dry the cell phone out after a stint in the pit ... I remember doing a valve set on a C11 and I must have dropped a 1/2 ltr of sweat into the rocker box .. (Made a Mental note to ignore that next engine oil sample :rolleyes: )

DigDug

Not in love with temps below 0 , but will never quit because of temperature .

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
as i look out at a termometer reading -3, heading to -10 overnight prolly, I think i'm calling off tomorrow. Its work that don't have to be done, and that cold is hard on things. If someone was out of water or something, I'd be out right now. Once -15 is hit, it better be a well paying emergency, thats when steel starts snapping, nothing wants to start, fuel wants to gel... and othe bad stuff.

Nige

Aye the cold can effect equipment real bad .. Cummins power machines fair better as it pumps hot fuel back to the tank .. Some of the cat gear sufferes from Fuel Gelling .. Detriots aleft running regarless as they light up on you when over fueling cold .. The good thing about real cold is its real real dry here .. Great for air systems .. Its worse at -5 as everything freezes ..

BUT: The Tropics are the worse eh Nige, Sitting between the banks of a C32 thats showing 89C on the coolant gauge and its smoking hot out with the humidity .. Ciggy box just falling apart and having to dry the cell phone out after a stint in the pit ... I remember doing a valve set on a C11 and I must have dropped a 1/2 ltr of sweat into the rocker box .. (Made a Mental note to ignore that next engine oil sample :rolleyes: )
In the real cold conditions we used to use a refined #1 diesel fuel (as opposed to most #1 diesel which is #2 cut with kerosene) but even that didn't prevent fuel waxing in some extreme circumstances.

Tinkerer

In the real cold conditions we used to use a refined #1 diesel fuel (as opposed to most #1 diesel which is #2 cut with kerosene) but even that didn't prevent fuel waxing in some extreme circumstances.
Nige, What ratio of kerosene/diesel fuel mixture did you achieve your best results ? Also what was temperature when you needed to add the kerosene ?

Nige

I seem to recall it was a 25% kerosene/75% #2 blend that we used. However it was supplied to us ready-blended by our fuel company. so I would not guarantee those numbers 100%. We were using the fuel when the ambient temperature consistently went below -10C (14F).

Honestly my preference (although it's more expensive) is for using a properly refined #1 diesel fuel rather than a blend of 2 existing products. The reason for this is that to produce a #1 diesel fuel the fuel company removes a large part of the wax products from a #2 diesel fuel, whereas adding kerosene only removes the wax from the pecentage of #2 diesel fuel in the blend that is replaced by the kerosene. All this afrects the "Cloud Point" of the fuel. See below for a long-winded explanation ........

Cloud Point - It is important to understand that the cloud point of a fuel is different from the pour point. There is no relationship between cloud point and the pour point. The cloud point is the temperature that allows some of the heavier components in the wax to solidify in the fuel. This wax is not a contaminant in the fuel. The wax is an important element of No. 2 diesel fuel. The wax has a high fuel energy content and the wax has a very high cetane value. Removal of the heavier wax lowers the cloud point of the fuel and also reduces the amount of energy that can be obtained from the fuel. Removal of the wax also increases the cost because less fuel can be made from the same amount of crude oil. The cloud point of the fuel is important because the cloud point can limit the performance of the fuel filter. The wax will alter the fuel characteristics in cold weather. Solid wax can fill the fuel filters and will stop the flow of fuel.

You can lower the cloud point of a diesel fuel by mixing it with a different fuel that has a lower cloud point. No. 1 diesel fuel or kerosene may be used to lower the cloud point of a diesel fuel. The efficiency of this method is not good, because the ratio of the mixture does not have a direct relation to the improvement in cloud point. The amount of fuel with low cloud point that is required makes the process less preferable to use. The following illustration contains a table that can be used to find the necessary mixture for two fuels with different cloud points. In order to use the table, you must know the exact fuel cloud point of each fuel. This specification can change from one purchase of fuel to the next purchase of fuel. This specification is normally available from personnel at the source of the fuel supply. When fuels that have a lower cloud point are not available, this method cannot be used.

Here's how to read the chart. Find out the cloud point of the 2 fuels you plan to use in your blend. Draw a line from one to the other - Line A. Take the % of lighter fuel in the blend from the scale at the bottom of the chart and draw a vertical line (Line B) up until it hits line A. From the point where the 2 lines hit one another read horizontally to your left - Line C. This is the Cloud Point of your blend.

Cloud Point.JPG

oldseabee

Occupation
Retired
When I was testing a tree harvester for Clark in Northern Ontario, union tree cutters didn't work if it went below -55 Deg F. We didn't go by those rules.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
looks like i am mixing a little fuel today. or maybe just add some "power service" . we are starting a week of sub 0 weather today.