• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How are heavy equipment mechanics' wages trending.

I've spent 13 years working as an automobile mechanic. Over that time, wages in that industry have trended down after accounting for inflation. I recently took a job as a heavy equipment mechanic. I'm curious how wages in my new field have been trending?

Last edited:

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
It doesn't REALLY matter whats going around you..
YOU NEVER get what you deserve.. YOU GET what you negotiate..
When everyone was making a "cap" of 17-18/hr.. I was making in the hi 20's..
& do the negotiations behind closed doors & after hrs if possible..
It seems alittle late tho.. you ALREADY took the job..
+ theres a big learning curve from AUTO to DIESEL.. & auto to heavy..

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
In another thread it was pretty well stated that the usual way for someone in your situation to reliably move up is to gain experience and then look for a better job. Although once you become experienced, if your current boss is willing to match, then stay where you are if you like it.

Around here there are a large portion of people working on their own. Wait some years before you do that but always keep it as a possibility.

One thing I would advise you to do. Get Quickbooks now and track all your personal income, expenses, assets and liabilities. And start learning the program. Also, if you can stomach it, get some good rewards credit cards and run the limits higher and higher twice a year until each limit is about half your income. Of course pay the bills in full every month. This all takes time and you will be much better prepared in a couple years when opportunity comes along.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
That's odd.. I keep getting notices from my CC companies that want me to "increase" my limit..??
I have cards that have 15-20k limits on some of them.. HOW MUCH does 1 person need?? I was actually gonna call & LOWER some of them.. probably a bad idea, huh?? I only have 1 card that has reoccurring charges & its on auto-pay for 31.10 each month.. lol.. and I only use one other card & ITS on auto pay too..
..probably no more than 2-300.00 a month.. gas & ebay/amazon..
KINDA SILLY to have a 20k limit on them..?? AND they wanna BOOST IT UP.. WTF??

It seems alittle late tho.. you ALREADY took the job..
+ theres a big learning curve from AUTO to DIESEL.. & auto to heavy..

I think I got a fair deal. Otherwise I wouldn't have taken it. It even comes with an automatic raise after 1 year to account for some of that learning curve you're talking about.
Also, I know I'm starting out closer to the low end of the pay scale for my area. (which was about equal to the top of the pay scale in automotive). The top end of the pay-scale is about 50% higher than where I'm starting, so there's that room for growth as I gain experience.

My question though is not about my specific circumstance. I'll figure that out. I'm trying to get the big picture context. Inflation over the last 10 years has totaled 14%-15%. Is a top mechanic now making 15% more now than a top mechanic was 10 years ago? More? Less?

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
That's odd.. I keep getting notices from my CC companies that want me to "increase" my limit..??
I have cards that have 15-20k limits on some of them.. HOW MUCH does 1 person need?? I was actually gonna call & LOWER some of them.. probably a bad idea, huh?? I only have 1 card that has reoccurring charges & its on auto-pay for 31.10 each month.. lol.. and I only use one other card & ITS on auto pay too..
..probably no more than 2-300.00 a month.. gas & ebay/amazon..
KINDA SILLY to have a 20k limit on them..?? AND they wanna BOOST IT UP.. WTF??

Boost it up! So long as they don't do a "hard pull" against your credit. You don't have to spend any of the money. It helps your credit score to be using a low percent of what you have available. And a high credit score can have fringe benefits such as lower car insurance rate.

Plus if you need a pile of money fast such as if your roof blows off, or you need to buy a bunch of materials for a huge customer order, it is free money for 30-40 days.

I have done a lot of customer orders on credit cards and never paid a nickel of interest.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I think I got a fair deal. Otherwise I wouldn't have taken it. It even comes with an automatic raise after 1 year to account for some of that learning curve you're talking about.
Also, I know I'm starting out closer to the low end of the pay scale for my area. (which was about equal to the top of the pay scale in automotive). The top end of the pay-scale is about 50% higher than where I'm starting, so there's that room for growth as I gain experience.

My question though is not about my specific circumstance. I'll figure that out. I'm trying to get the big picture context. Inflation over the last 10 years has totaled 14%-15%. Is a top mechanic now making 15% more now than a top mechanic was 10 years ago? More? Less?

It is hard to say because in our area a large portion of the top mechanics are on their own. That is my impression the way to make money is to be independent.

However, we are a small town so there is no big dealer to offer high pay packages either.

Wes J

Hard to say really. Around here, dealer mechanics are largely union. Same for municipal and captive mechanics for larger construction outfits and quarries. That helps the crappy guys make a good living, and it probably caps the good guys from getting even more.

Personally, the whole union debacle is a major turn off for me. I'm sure it is for others.

I don't know how the construction equipment mechanics got so wrapped up in the unions. I don't know of any truck or ag mechanics who are required to be in a union other than city mechanics or the "mechanics" at the bus garage.

Welder Dave

I think a lot depends on how good you are and/or how quickly you learn things. Also your personality and how you communicate with people. Maybe you're really good at a job that nobody else likes to do or don't complain if you get the job no one else wants. If you're good at your job and you have a good boss your work should speak for itself and you should be rewarded. Negotiating can be tricky sometimes if you don't have enough experience. Someone like thepumpguysc or Nige could ask for the moon because they're worth every penny. Asking for more and not being able to back it up could lead to big disappointment. A big peeve of mine is people who over exaggerate their skills or experience and can't back it up. I worked in a shop where a guy thought he was the cat's meow because he had his welding ticket and was going to get his steel fabricator ticket as well. He couldn't do a simple 2 pass fillet weld around a 4" pipe coming out of a tank. It have a groove between the 2 passes and I got tasked to grind it all off and do it over. A 1st year apprentice could have done a better job.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
I don't know how the construction equipment mechanics got so wrapped up in the unions. I don't know of any truck or ag mechanics who are required to be in a union other than city mechanics or the "mechanics" at the bus garage.
Come a little further north. Nobody pulls a wrench or lever without the union. Not while earning a good wage. The IAM has gotten pretty weak with car dealers crying poor all the time. But that's the automotive side which includes truck shops and some heavy equipment shop guys. The IUOE/MOE on the other hand, kinda dictate where the pay scale lands. They have a strong union and demand their membership prove competency. By doing this, they keep the membership up to speed on current trends and therefore command a good wage.

Wes J

I'm mostly scared that people in Chicagoland will one day realize that they can move out of the collar counties and have a real life. Short commutes, low cost of living, nice scenery, friendly people, and on and on.

Once they figure it out, the jig is up. They got close back in the early 2000s. Every decent hunting plot and fishing hole was leased out to some Land Rover pilot from the suburbs. The recession took care of that.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Back to the basic question of wages over time I would say they seem to have kept up or gone past inflation according to this calculator.

https://westegg.com/inflation/

I kicked in $12 per hour that I was making in 1983 and it says that amount in 2017 was worth $29.96. Top dealer field mechanics in my area are making over $35 an hour. Keep in mind that doesn't count fringes like vacation, retirement, insurance or anything like boots, tool repairs and replacements.

The dealer charge out rates back then were around $40 per hour which in 2017 would be $112.37. Charge out rates today for dealer wrenches is around $140 per hour.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Generally speaking, good mechanics are in demand. And as years go on, the technological contraptions make it harder on the Gomer Pyle types. As much as I like to complain about the electronification of everything, that is where my own skill lies. So it keeps me in business.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
As much as I like to complain about the electronification of everything, that is where my own skill lies. So it keeps me in business.

I'm right there with you on this. Emissions have been big money the last 5-6 years. I just don't think it's right we get beat to death while 3rd world countries don't have to abide by the same rules.

Muffler Bearing

Occupation
Truck Mechanic
Emissions and computers have made the field of diesel repair challenging and educational. If I were just working on the mechanical systems my Dad fixed in the 80's I'd be bored as hell. I don't care if the white collar world still thinks I'm a hammer-toting gorilla, I know that the challenges I face require an understanding of chemical reactions and high speed data transmission, not to mention hitting stuff with a big hammer.
I hope new tech keeps coming out each year to make this job more interesting.
And if this thread is still about pay I'm in a dealership @ $35.50 hourly which is a cut from the Truck dealership I left getting $45 flat rate to be on a service truck.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Been Union and non, will stick Union if at all possible just to get in on pension programs and group rate health benefits, worth their price for dues and the lower premium/input levels. Been a shop mechanic, small independent garage, dealer, utility and others, been a independent on the side but could not see past my benefits to go fully independent but that is each individuals call. If you can pack the cash away and NOT touch it for a retirement plan then by all rights Independent IS the way to go, expenses/bad debt or billing can exceed income so have to be choosy and careful of who you work for or machines to work on. Examine the independents in your region, if is supply heavy you may be better off where at as the discounting to retain customers is a bad day to have to encounter. We have three dealers and four independent mechanics around here, we also have four independent machine shops but ALL are so back logged they can barely get anything done, the price ranges reflects that and the shingle for Mechanic/Machinist Wanted hangs solidly at most. Most indies do not take on long term work they leave that for the dealerships to absorb where they can bump good fast $$$ recovery work in and out either daily or every few days.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
I hardly ever worried about "whats trending".. {God I hate those words}
If I made enough to pay my bills & have a dam good time when I was off work.. what else matters??
I'm not a "keepin up w/ the Jones'" kinda guy.. but I ALWAYS had more sh*t than everybody else.. lol
Its all in HOW you spend the money YOU HAVE..
Instead of using your 3000.00 tax return on new FANCY tires & rims for your 2000.00 pick-up.. I bought a lake house. Instead of using your end of year "bonus" on a vacation for a week.. I bought a boat> that I can use all year long..
& while you used your side job money, 2000.00 for a new Alpine stereo in your 2000.00 pick-up truck w/ the 3000.00 wheels, I bought a golf cart to run around my lake house.. GET IT?? Lol.

I bought a lake house... I bought a boat... I bought a golf cart to run around my lake house.. GET IT?? Lol.
I get it. I bought a portfolio of diversified mutual funds that pay me dividends.
Gotta keep an eye though on what is still my most lucrative revenue generating asset, which is my skill set and occupation.