• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hough 50 C - I maybe crazy!

Batkom

Changed 7 hoses and hydraulic oil Monday.
This has two filters in the tank on the return side.
Check out this filter, I wonder how old it is!?D6B88CF7-BB8A-40FC-ADF8-1B0509001CE0.jpeg

Batkom

Don’t have a side view, the filtering element looks a little grey.
Will cut open next week n look at it. Inside of tank was actually surprisingly clean. Few flecks of yellow paint and a very light grey layer on the bottom and walls that cleaned off with one swipe with a rag.89F38075-35AF-4FF3-A9CA-0966F26CC19C.jpeg

Batkom

Serviced the tranny this week - it was in need of service more than I had realized.
Filter was quite gray, but more concerning was the metal I found in the strainer in the bottom of the sump.
EA89F0DE-E9A6-4429-A00E-32736EB4E43C.jpeg

Batkom

Was able to reach in and clean the sump thoroughly, then flushed the system.
Drained and refilled.
Will run awhile now and then pull filter and strainer and see how it looks after 10 hours or so.

Batkom

Also got the front windshield wiper working!
I don’t understand people- all that was wrong with it was the on off switch was corroded up, got it freed up and hooked the wires back up n it worked perfectly! Why they had disconnected an obvious original factory wiring loom because they thought the wiper motor was burned up is beyond my comprehension!
I am sure the rear one is the same way as you can’t even rotate the switch.

Batkom

Mountainguyed67
Yes, I have all the manuals now, chassis, engine, parts, and an original 1966 operator and maintenance manual - thanks to eBay.
Also found a sales brochure from the mid 70s that has this exact version of the 50c pictured.
It lists the weight with each bucket option offered, and the weight of each tire option offered.
The way mine is configured it weighs
17,783 lbs
I am sure a big part of that is the ROPs cab that had become std by then. The original weight listed in the 1966 manuals are as you said.
As well,the hydraulic pump output volume was increased and the hydraulic tank design changed as well as the size of the boom and bucket cylinders were increased in the late models.

Mine was made in 1977.
I know the history on them says they discontinued mfr in 1976, but the tag on the dash says 1977. Guessing this may be due to it being made for the Air Force?
For my needs it’s a perfect size.
Has plenty of pushing grunt and the lifting capacity/ tipping load is over 12,000 lbs according to the manual.

mountainguyed67

I’m jealous that you have an IH, appears to be in good shape too. At the time I bought mine there was a 515 for sale in Southern California, but I wanted something bigger. There were 530s in the Midwest and East, but I didn’t want to ship that far.

Batkom

Well, I wouldn’t be too jealous - I doubt the parts you have had to replace would be any easier to source for the IH/Hough!
I personally think that all the Terex equipment is pretty cool - never worked on it, but all that I have seen always made any other machine it was near look wimpy! They look like they can take on a mountain and win!

mountainguyed67

The Terex is a stout machine for sure.

I was in the Army 85-87. We had forklifts that were just a 2-1/2 yard loader with forks instead of a bucket, they had International Hough on the side. The operators liked them.

Batkom

This weeks project was oil change in final drives and differentials.
Front looked good, rear differential did have a few pieces of metal on the magnet - in addition to the typical real fine gray crud.
I also noticed that the left rear axle housing has been replaced.
Wonder if the metal came from whatever happened to that axle housing.
Will have to take a pic of the pieces.
Also put two new tires on, the rears were concerning, quite rotten and one leaking thru the side wall.
While I was at it painted the final drives and wheels
Started installing new bucket edges,
The last job done to it was a mess.
Took most of the day with a torch and grinder to get it ready. Got the frog tacked in place on the ends, but need to straighten the bucket floor before I go further.76320936-1326-494E-98DA-0EB555B15320.jpeg

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Being as that appears a cotter pin puller those pieces appear pretty small. Side gear thrust washer sections maybe, possible lost a bearing at some point. Does not appear as an issue if not currently thumping grinding or other oddities.

Batkom

My guess is as yours, DMiller.
I put 18 hrs plowing on it this winter, and then a bit of other odd jobs around here, probably ran in around 25 hrs since I bought it, and I have not heard or felt anything odd.
So hopefully it was something left from the past!

Batkom

Bucket edge finished and added some side cutters to save those edges from more wear.
And made a bucket position indicator.
Roughly copied the one in my manuals picture.
She ready to go to work for the summer!