• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hough 50 C - I maybe crazy!

Batkom

Checked out the attachment adapter closely and it was definitely added later.
The welding on most of it was done very nice - to where it looks factory.
But in the difficult to get to spots - welding was not as good.
And the bucket has the original bosses where the lower pins go thru.

Batkom

Looks to be the Hough/IH UD282, also had a 260 but have not seen one in years. Should be a ID plate down on the block. Glow plug wiring has seen better days!!
LOL, w think that’s the NEW wiring!
He replaced glow plugs sometime in the last 5 years.
As well as the alternator and starter.
Also noticed today that the original fuel pump was bypassed and the new one baling wired in place.
Kind of funny the things you don’t see right away- and I spent an hour going over it before I made an offer!

Batkom

Another question
On the alternator side of the engine,
Is that an oil filter housing- where the hose is going past?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
All the filters on this will be cannister, If feel experimental can buy aftermarket truck remote filters and eliminate the old cans. Cleaner. On the old GP System feeder wire went to one then daisy chained next to next to next, no reason for the BIG Daisy Flower wire sculpture pictured.

Batkom

He had at least one hydraulic hose blow that I see has been replaced fairly recently.
And the rest, while they do not have weather checking on them, they are definitely old!!
So I would like to replace all of them soon.
I know I could pull a fitting off to verify if it’s JIC
But if anyone knows if that’s what was common might save me the mess!
The thread OD and pitch matches a JIC 12 fitting

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
As with most MilSurplus will end up changing most of the hoses as they shock load and either fail or start sweating/seeping, lack of use and they become brittle. Still should be a decent random use little loader.

Batkom

kshansen
Yep, it opened for me - and has good instructions, want to make sure that its working with winter here!
Got a chassis and engine manual coming, should make getting this thing up to my standards more straightforward.
The one hydraulic cylinder that has the weep has a little piece of the wiper missing.
after all new hoses, I will go ahead and get all the cylinders redone.
And of course tidy up all the wiring! What is it about old machines and wiring? Seems like no one ever finishes the job when they replace or remove something, they just leave the unused wire hanging there- drives me NUTS!
Went to the surplus center and found they have a joystick style spool valve with a third accessory spool, good for 25 gallons a minute.
this would be really nice to have for a swivel snow plow or grapple etc.
Not sure its quite big enough though, as the current valve has -12 control circuit fittings and the one from surplus center has -10 size control circuits with a -12 size supply.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
A great deal of Shade Tree boys would have a problem electrically and the first instinct they would have was 'Run a New Wire'. Wire generally NOT the problem but lacking trouble shooting skills many machines got hacked to pieces still broken after multiple 'Fixes'.

Reactions: DB2

Delmer

Leave the cylinders alone till they start leaking. Being that old, most likely they've been done already, and not all at the same time unless the military did them. Fix as needed. The weeping one you can fix so you don't keep bringing more dirt into the system.

Batkom

Made a little progress this week, removed the old fuel transfer pump that had just been left in place!
Cut the zip ties of that were holding the newer fuel pump in place and mounted it where the old one was.
Replaced the wires to it, they had been spliced three places!
Rerouted the fuel lines and the air lines.
Did all of that while servicing the anti freeze alcohol air reservoir.
Also picked a snow plow for it.
It has hydraulic swivel so I ordered another single spool valve, so I can swivel from the cab and have an accessory circuit.
I decided Welder Dave was correct- leave the original one in place!
But used the plow yesterday Morning anyway.
The quick coupler on the plow hoses are make n female, so hooked it together and then grabbed the blade, swung it over to an angle, disconnect and plowed. It was just a small snowfall of 3 inches overnight.
Plowing with this is awesome! plowed our private road in 3 passes.
I am going to need to wear hearing protection when plowing though! With hammer down, she is loud in the cab!

Batkom

LOL
You guys crack me up!
Ok, I will get that mess straightened up when I add all my new LED lights.
Be a few weeks though- left today for Puerto Rico, then Florida till after the new year!