• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Homeowners buying old giant excavators?

grachman

Is this only viable for YouTubers looki ng to generate content? I have thirty acres on mountain side. My fantasy is to have giant excavator that works but is cheap.

suladas

800's can be had for dirt cheap at auctions but there's a reason. Some guy with a small pit bought one and no one would let him load their truck with it. Also if it breaks good luck fixing it yourself. Just trying to remove a pin on bucket would require a crane because everything is so dang big. Break a hose? Going to spend $$ buying wrenches to take it off and $$ finding somewhere with that big of fittings.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
This guy bought a 345..........

hvy 1ton

Buy excavator for cheap, spend over double the price getting it home
It makes sense as long as you never plan on moving it again. What really hurts is a component failure on a 30+ ton machine compared to the smaller ones.
Is this only viable for YouTubers looki ng to generate content? I have thirty acres on mountain side. My fantasy is to have giant excavator that works but is cheap.
A 690 isn't big enough to fall into the category of cheap, big excavator. There is a premium in the used market for any excavator that will fit on a tag trailer. Mostly the 12-16 ton machines and to a smaller extent the 20 ton machines. In the before times, it wasn't hard to find a better 30 ton machine for the same money as long as we're talking not near-new machines. No idea if that holds true still, I've been avoiding watching the used market. 90's pickup truck prices on Bring a Trailer are depressing enough.

chidog

Wasn't too long ago I remember seeing a PC1000 for around 20 something K close by.
The tracks looked like new.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
Just delivered a new mower to a recently widowed woman last week. Her deceased husband recently purchased an older Caterpillar 235 excavator she is going to be selling; it's not been used since arriving at their farm property. Delivery was included in the purchase price, so no idea what it will cost the seller to relocate it once sold.

Cancer took the deceased on a very short timeframe so he never got to use it I'm told.

Welder Dave

If that's the size of machine you class as "giant" your ambitions are far too low IMHO..........
See Page 3 for photos.

Homeowner with 2 x 80-Ton Hoes
That is one of if not the most epic thread ever on the forum. 2 80 ton front shovels for a 3 acre property. I wonder if he ever put the counterweight on the Komatsu??