• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Homeowners buying old giant excavators?

Welder Dave

There was someone on here that bought a couple compact machines from China not too long ago. Little bigger than a lawn mower engine but pretty low price in comparison.

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
There was someone on here that bought a couple compact machines from China not too long ago. Little bigger than a lawn mower engine but pretty low price in comparison.
I think I know which thread you're talking about. I guess they're not too terrible, as long as you don't set your expectations too high. I just think they're funny to look at and funny to watch someone operate some no-rop tiny little thing.

skyking1

Here is a great example of what you can get. This was the biggest piece I have operated and the particular one was very special. You had to go out the door, down the side walk, through the engine compartment doorway and pull a parachute cord to shut it down.
https://www.ritchielist.com//1/1-3-...F8ULE0-jLdjZSgZxYtSS7iivQt83fPLRoCVH0QAvD_BwE

caterpillar-375,6721553_1.jpg

Only 50K!
It loads it's own counterweight, woo hoo!
This one went for 25K

https://www.ironplanet.com/for-sale/Excavators-1994-Cat-375-Tracked-Excavator-California/6152717

Not a bad garden spade

you can see down in that walkway in this video.

Last edited:

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Here is a great example of what you can get. This was the biggest piece I have operated and the particular one was very special. You had to go out the door, down the side walk, through the engine compartment doorway and pull a parachute cord to shut it down.
https://www.ritchielist.com//1/1-3-...F8ULE0-jLdjZSgZxYtSS7iivQt83fPLRoCVH0QAvD_BwE

caterpillar-375,6721553_1.jpg

Only 50K!
It loads it's own counterweight, woo hoo!
This one went for 25K

https://www.ironplanet.com/for-sale/Excavators-1994-Cat-375-Tracked-Excavator-California/6152717

Not a bad garden spade

you can see down in that walkway in this video.
Damn right. A proper digger, not something that belongs in the Lawns & Gardens catalogue. You’d shift some dirt with one of them.

skyking1

75 metric tons for 25K. That's quite a bit over scrap price, so some of the parts went somewhere.
If I had a 2000+ yard job close by it would be worth a look. Even all cobbled up it can move some yards.
The one time I ran one I was loading trucks off a pile on a Saturday. She was boom slow so I worked the stick circles.

rmllarue91

Occupation
field technician
In my experience parts second hand are super cheap for them now. every dismantler has 2. Quarry i work for replaced theres with 385b. Parts are not as affordable but still cheaper than 45 ton Deere or komastu.... I really like them 375s when i hit lottery I'll get one for the back yard.

Welder Dave

That's the extended reach version. There's also the D handle variety and don't forget the hoe for those long trenching jobs.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
12 watchers and 1 bidder tells a tale. So there were 12 star eyed DIY'ers that had big dreams and only 1 dumb enough to bite. Or it went for parts. :p
For anyone who owns a business it’s a risk that probably isn’t worth taking. However for a private individual if they can get something delivered to their property for scrap value or not much more the decision process is somewhat different. And it’s a cool toy…..

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
For anyone who owns a business it’s a risk that probably isn’t worth taking. However for a private individual if they can get something delivered to their property for scrap value or not much more the decision process is somewhat different. And it’s a cool toy…..

Until the old lady wants the "yard art" that hasn't ran in months off the property. Scrap value vs divorce.. Yikes - wasn't planning on spending that much. :p :D

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
If I had 15 or 20 less pieces of yard art my wife may be happier. I just fire them up and move them around once in a while to confuse her. I sold my DW-21 Cat scraper and took a D6C on part trade last fall. She rolled her eyes when I told her I downsized.