1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Homemade hydraulic flow tester

Discussion in 'General Industry Questions' started by Tomcat955, Jul 26, 2022.

1. Tomcat955

Tomcat955 Member

I need a hydraulic flow tester to test pumps on my bobcat excavator. I am most likely never going to use this tool again or at-least very rarely. OTC makes the tools for right around $3000 and just seems unjustifiable for me to spend that much on a relatively basic tool I will never use again. I found a flow tester on ebay for about 600 but it does not have the restrictor dial. Has anyone ever made there own flow tester or modified the cheaper version to have a restrictor?

2. hosspuller

hosspuller Senior Member

A little off the wall...Home made flow meter... a hose with pressure gauge teed and a valve at the end. Valve as variable restrictor will govern the output pressure, indicated at the gauge. Plumbed into a bucket, marked with gallons, pints, or liters. If you need to test for an extended time, put a drain in the bucket to recycle the oil back to the tank. The bucket, valve, gauge, and stop watch will provide a flow rate at X pressure.

cheap too ..:D

3. Tyler d4c

Tyler d4c Senior Member

Thats the method I've used for checking case drain because who wants a 0 to 3 gpm flow meter

4. hosspuller

hosspuller Senior Member

Another thought... When you plumb to the bucket, make sure the outlet is terminated with a tee below the surface of the oil. This is for two reasons... don't want to aerate the oil and prevents the hose end from whipping around.

5. mg2361

mg2361 Senior Member

Equipment Mechanic/Technician
    BigWrench55 likes this.
  6. 1693TA

1693TA Senior Member

FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
    I have a Hedland flowmeter in that range and use it often in proportional circuits.

7. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    Can't see anything thrown together working on any kind of higher flow hydraulic pump. A bucket is a sure way to make a mess and likely get hurt trying to handle pump flows. Better to hire someone that already has a flow meter to do what you want. Cost of the flow meter isn't the only cost either. You have to purchase all the fittings and connection hoses in order to hook the thing up to your pumps.

BigWrench55, excavator and muddog1975 like this.
  8. Welder Dave

Welder Dave Senior Member

Why do you need to test the flow? Is there something wrong or is it to see how much aux. flow you have for an attachment or something along those lines? It would help to know what model your excavator is to know how big of flow tester you need.

9. Tyler d4c

Tyler d4c Senior Member

Some times us poor peoples got to ball on a budget ;)