• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hitachi ex120-5 won’t turn off with key

maineplower

I have a ex120-5 that I bought with the throttle control missing. I put a new motor and cable on both Deere. I’ve set the idle rpm’s with the computer and done the learning procedure. I tried a different key switch. Still it won’t turn off with the key. Any ideas??

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
I think that machine is the same as a Deere 120. If so, sounds like the V2 alternator shut down relay isolation diode is shorted. The diodes are behind the seat, below the fuse box. To identify the diode in question, it should have a red/white and red/black wire going to it.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Yep. On the Deere "LC" series they called it the shut down relay, starting with the Deere "CLC" series they called it the load dump relay.

maineplower

I changed the relay no change. Could it be something to do with the alternator back feeding the machine after the key is off? The key shuts everything off like the heater fan etc properly when the engine isn’t running, as soon as engine is running key doesn’t shut things down.

maineplower

Found them. Swapped it with another and it works. Have to get another Monday from the dealer. Thanks for your help

maineplower

This worked fine for a few works, now won’t shut off with key again. What would cause the diode to fail?

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
No. An intermittent dead short of the wiring to ground "after" the diode is more likely the issue.