• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hey..........Lets play "what REALLY happened?!"

Vetech63

Ok, now that I have seen the housing, it doesn't seem that serious of an issue to me. The "hump" on the housing you are seeing is just a bit bigger than a quarter, and you can see a small crack on the last pic where the paint is gone...….the crack is maybe 5/8 inch long. Now...……………..I am NO truck guy, but if this was a piece of heavy equipment, I personally would have reused this housing with some clean up and a small weld. SO...……….you truck repair guys, is there some government regulation that would prevent my type or repair for this? ……...or have I just been around equipment too long and don't know $hit about trucks? LOL ;)

Vetech63

Guys, I want you to know that the mechanic doing this job is a "know it all". I asked him why he was replacing the housing yesterday and his reply was "Its cracked! Look right here!" You should have seen the look on his face when I said "Dude, that's nothing!" , while his boss was standing there with us. If looks could kill...………………….:D Oh well, its their money wasted in my opinion. Unless someone can prove there is some law against I see no reason this couldnt have been repaired in 15 minutes and reused. They have a used housing coming at the moment for $1500.00 and a hell of a lot more labor.

Delmer

So they're going to put a new ring gear on that differential and put that back into a different housing? Does that seem backwards to anybody else? I'd prefer to get a used (non grenaded) differential to put into that housing.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Did anyone open up the differential and inspect the spider gears? How about the diff lock on the number two Axel did anyone check the sliding dog clutch. That Carrier showed that it had been damaged when the Ring gear let go that was shown clearly in one of the 1st 3 pictures They're going to go ahead and use that failed part though and replace a part that could be salvaged.
I really wish that I could see things from other people's point of view sometimeso_O

Vetech63

So they're going to put a new ring gear on that differential and put that back into a different housing? Does that seem backwards to anybody else? I'd prefer to get a used (non grenaded) differential to put into that housing.
No.....they have a rebuilt diff sitting there. They are replacing the diff housing ( axle housing if you will) with a used one. I found out today that the guy doing the repair is a hell of a welder. He used to do pipeline welding so I am told. I would have thought someone like that would have looked at the housing as a super easy repair. He told me today "When I see a crack, I replace it.....no questions asked." Seems to be a very black or white thinking individual.

Vetech63

Did anyone open up the differential and inspect the spider gears? How about the diff lock on the number two Axel did anyone check the sliding dog clutch. That Carrier showed that it had been damaged when the Ring gear let go that was shown clearly in one of the 1st 3 pictures They're going to go ahead and use that failed part though and replace a part that could be salvaged.
I really wish that I could see things from other people's point of view sometimeso_O
LMAO...……….come on, that's too in depth for this guy. He is only repairing what he can see with his own eyes. I believe I know what's happened to a few of their trucks now...….when I see the transmission out of the same truck...…………….several times. Get my drift? ;)

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
We got cracks all over around where the leafs met the axle tubes and when the leaks got unbearable would have the shop across the way weld them back up. Never a problem as far as I know. I have talked to other companies that did the same thing. Seems that would be a higher stress area than where that chunk made its dent, never seen one break there on its own so I would have welded it there also.

Vetech63

Quality drivers quality technicians
ROFLMMFBO
Oh....its great entertainment! He had pulled a front spindle off a Freightliner about 6 months ago and I happened to show up to work on their wheel loader. He was installing a brand new spindle while I was there. Come lunch time, the shop emptied...……..so I walked over and picked up the old spindle, didn't see a dam thing wrong with it. When he got back from lunch his boss was with him...…...so I walked over and asked why they replaced the spindle? He proceeded to show me that the new oil seal would not fit on the old spindle, but it would on the new one. I pointed out that the old spindle had a speedy sleeve on it and if you took it off it would fit. I watched as he removed the speedy sleeve to find a perfect surface...……...and the seal fit. The boss shook his head, started laughing, and walked off. I wasn't trying to throw him under the bus, but I guess I did unintentionally.

AzIron

You know what I think is hilarious is I know outfits that would take that cracked housing ignore the crack rebuild it completely and roll with it they would call the crack a BREATHER