• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hey..........Lets play "what REALLY happened?!"

Hoshaft

I'm going with shock load, we took 3 rear ends out during sugarbeet harvest this year. All the parts that came back fit inside a coffee can, the destruction was that bad.

AzIron

I am going on the interlock while spinning especially on a dump truck

Seen that a time or two they dont limp very far

sfrs4

Occupation
parts admin
i'll go with incorrectly set up diff from new/refurb not enough or too much backlash causing small shock loads or constant pressure for the last 2500 miles since it has been put in, eventually causing spectacular failure

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
The third image shows the tooth shaved off the ring from the heel out, the damage to the neighboring tooth says it had a lot of momentum. So, I'm thinking he had the diff lock in, was spinning while the other guy was tugging him out. As stated before, sudden traction in a high speed spin, bringing everything to a sudden stop leads to catastrophic failure. The image of the carrier shows the one screw and hole accumulating material opposite direction of travel, unless it grenaded in reverse, shock load. Set up looks good from images. No undue wear on heel or toe, top of tooth doesn't look sharp.
He should a just let the other guy pull him out.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Its funny u mentioned "STUCK".. That's what happened to my Bronco when I was PULLING another stuck truck out 4 wheelin.. Jam it in low, spin the tires, jam it in reverse, spin the tires, jam it in low.. on & on till sumpin went "CLUNK"..

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I am sure all you guys know this but I have been stuck so many times I will relate my own personal thoughts

1. Spinning breaks traction so you have less force to move you forward (the trouble is you don't know how much traction you have until it spins) and also slicks off the surface
2. Spinning digs you deeper in the mud (occasionally may clear away loose material but this is rare and spinning needs to be stopped to hook up to the ground again)
3. Spinning tires no longer prevent the truck from sliding laterally into worse mud, a telephone pole or whatever
4. As possibly shown in this thread, the energy available when spinning is much greater to break stuff.

Mother Deuce

Found myself staring at the posterior of a bulldog most of the day today. Could not get the image of that ring out of my head. I had to go get somebody else to drive the truck at noon for a bit just in case! :oops:

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
:rolleyes::)Well you know why they put the bulldog facing forward don't you that's so two a-holes can stare at each other:rolleyes::)
Knew a guy in the 80's that drove a fancy Dodge with the Ram hood ornament, walked out of the shop and he was sitting in the pickup on his phone and noticed the ram had been turned around facing the cab. Gave the ram a flick as I walked by, he leaned out and said "You know why the ram is backward?" I said "Yeah, so you see two azzholes looking at the pickup". He said "Touche" :D

Vetech63

I stopped by there yesterday...……….to find the entire rear diff pulled out from under the truck. The guy doing the work said he didn't notice that part of the ring gear got wedged between the carrier and the rear housing and cracked the housing. I will get pics of that today I hope.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Oopsie!!
Must’ve made one helluva BANG!!!
Naw, didn't hear a thing just started and let it warm up a bit and put in low and eased out clutch at idle and truck never moved! That's my story and I'm sticking to it! Must have happened when Fred drove it last!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I'm of the thinkin' that the screeching from the tires and roar of the engine was enough to drown out the EXPLOSION that rocked that third member!!! The sudden jolt from that sudden snag I do believe got someone's attention and would be CAREFULLY looking in the Driver seat/cab floor for brown stains.