• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Help with Cat 955k serial number

Hey Jon,

Thank you so much for the info sir. With Nige’s help I found a used cylinder barrel with Off-road Equipment in Alcoa, TN. I’m going to order it Monday and continue trying to get the machine ready to work. Thanks so much again for your time Jon.

We got the machine up and running, and I’ve done a little work with it. Seems to be running well so far. I’m starting to get the hang of the controls. Can y’all help me with what this wire is on the top of the engine? It is broken, and I can’t find what it goes to in the manual.

Attachments

• IMG_1361.jpeg
    IMG_1361.jpeg
    529.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1362.jpeg
    IMG_1362.jpeg
    530 KB · Views: 13

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
The photos are not very clear, and neither is the service information I can find. All they show is a wire somewhere close to the exhaust manifold.
Can you trace where the wire goes, or what colour it is, anything that might help identify what it is.?
Could it be part of the wiring for the glow plugs.? Do they work.?

Attached is what's listed for wiring but I don't think it's going to help you much. The electrical schematics won't load up for some reason.

Attachments

• 6K5389 Battery & Wiring.pdf
    833.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 6K5950 Engine Wiring.pdf
    147.9 KB · Views: 2

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
That looks like a wire going to the glow plug, to me. If the wire is broken, that particular glow plug won't heat up when you hit "Heat" on the Start switch, but all the rest of the glow plugs will still work.

sawmilleng

A thought to try: Oz's suggestion that it could be for a glow plug could be checked by getting a multi meter and checking for power in the wire (with the other meter lead clipped to ground--somewhere on the engine block)
Once this is set up, try turning on the glow plugs and see if you get power in the wire. If so, it is probably a glow plug wire. If not, well, you have eliminated one possibility.

It seems to me that glow plugs are generally hooked up "daisy chain" style so I'm not so hopeful that this wire is for them.

Jon.

The photos are not very clear, and neither is the service information I can find. All they show is a wire somewhere close to the exhaust manifold.
Can you trace where the wire goes, or what colour it is, anything that might help identify what it is.?
Could it be part of the wiring for the glow plugs.? Do they work.?

Attached is what's listed for wiring but I don't think it's going to help you much. The electrical schematics won't load up for some reason.
Hey Nige,
The 955k is up and running, and I have been able to get some work done with it. Thank you so much for the help so far. Can you answer a question for me sir? Can you please look at the pictures I’ve attached? What is the crow bar looking thing in the picture? This compartment on the other side of the machine is bolted down flush.

Attachments

• IMG_1826.jpeg
    IMG_1826.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1827.jpeg
    IMG_1827.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 10

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Looks to me like the biggest hick, on-the-fly repair, that you could ever find. Jam a wrecking bar in under the track guard, and wire the access flap to it, to stop the access flap flopping around - instead of just welding a new nut to the guard, and installing a new bolt to hold the flap closed.