• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Help with Cat 955k serial number

Hey everyone,

Can y’all please help me identify the year of the machine below? Thank you in advance for any help.

Attachments

• IMG_6730.jpeg
    IMG_6730.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 18

sawmilleng

I think you have photographed the serial plate for the ROPS canopy...

There is usually a SN plate on the left side of the engine but that can be misleading because engines can be changed.

You can also look at the rear of the machine- there is usually a SN stamped high on the main casting.

Others with more experience will likely chime in to give more detailed location info.

Jon.

Thanks so much for getting back to me everyone. Here are some more pics of the machine.

Attachments

• IMG_0993.jpeg
    IMG_0993.jpeg
    489.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0992.jpeg
    IMG_0992.jpeg
    336.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0991.jpeg
    IMG_0991.jpeg
    501.1 KB · Views: 13

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Can you post a photo of the Serial Number you found please.

85J329 (or 85J00329 if you go to Cat for parts) is a 1968 machine, one of the earliest in the 85J series.

Try looking at the engine. You should find the same Serial Number that you found on the tractor if everything is original & kosher.

Here is a pic sir. Do you have a recommendation for the engine oil and filter sir? I need to change it.

Attachments

• IMG_6736.jpeg
    IMG_6736.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 11

Nige

Do you have a recommendation for the engine oil and filter sir? I need to change it.
Believe it or not there is no engine oil filter listed for anything with a Serial Number lower than 85J4296.
Post a photo of your filter installation. Hopefully someone will be able to recognize it.

Also check if you can find a Part Number on either the filter housing or the cover. That might also help to identify it.

Ok thank you sir, I will send a pic this afternoon. Do you have a recommendation on the oil to use? Also, is there a good place to buy a service manual?

Nige

You can get manuals HERE. There are a few used ones kicking around on Ebay but they appear to be almost the same price as new ones. I would go with CD personally because they are cheaper, but some people prefer paper versions.
NOTE: If you buy a Service Manual it will have a copy of the Operation & Maintenance Manual included in it.

For your climate (Birmingham AL, correct.?) I would imagine a good quality 15W/40 diesel engine oil would do the job just fine.

361brock

Occupation
retired
That model year didn't use a spin oil filter, canister with cartridge, like the older H model had. I changed mine over to spin on, maybe someone did that to yours too. Send pic of that side of engine.

Nick

Still trying to get the 955k going. Hired a friend who is a cat mechanic to fix all the leaking cylinders. He was able to rebuild the top right cylinder, but the top left (driver side on a car) had rust pitting in the cylinder barrel. Does anyone have a lead on where to buy a used cylinder barrel? Also, I read that some people use JB weld in the pitted areas and hone it down. Has anyone had experience with this? Thank you in advance for any help. Hoping to get it working one day!

Nige

Does anyone have a lead on where to buy a used cylinder barrel?
If you have a Parts Manual then you could search sites such as Machinery Trader for used parts. The search works much better if you plug in a Part Number. Try calling Offroad Equipment in Alcoa TN but if you do call them you’ll need a Part Number first.

Also, I read that some people use JB weld in the pitted areas and hone it down. Has anyone had experience with this?
No, but I wouldn’t recommend it for the simple reason that if any of the JB weld ever comes loose it could bugger if some extremely expensive hydraulic parts.

sawmilleng

Baseball, do a search for "repairing pitted hydraulic cylinder barrels" on google. There's a ton of info out there.... But differing solutions depending on the amount of pitting and just how deep the pits are. And how much life you want out of the cylinder.

A bit of a summary for you:

Solutions to repair the pitting:

1. Epoxy filling and re-honing the barrel. For epoxy to work properly, the cylinder must be ABSOLUTELY clean, as the epoxy will not stick to oily steel. There is an industrial product called Belzona 1151 that might do the job for you. The Belzona line of epoxy products is heavily supported by technical people who will help you with details of doing the job properly and, more importantly, tell you if their product is routinely used for this kind of repair.

For the re-honing of the barrel after the epoxy repair, I would be inclined to go to a shop that has a proper cylinder hone that can be set to a size. However, I have seen people post that they just used a spring type hone to get the epoxy back down to the barrel size without trouble.

You may have a nearby hydraulics shop that would do this type of job for you for a reasonable cost. They probably have done the procedure in the past so they will know what works and what doesn't.

2. Some people have talked about TIG or MIG welding up the pits in the bore, then cleaning it up by grinding the high spots back out and finishing up with a precision hone. Lots of work. Good for the guys who are making a living with the cylinder.

3. Get a new piece of cylinder barrel and have a shop re-barrel the cylinder. Involves lathe work and lots of shop time but may be less costly than a replacement part.

Non-repair solutions:

4. Find a good used barrel.

5. New part, brand name or aftermarket.

Further to fixing with epoxy material:
The concern about an epoxy repair failing and sending crap down the line is real but can be offset by using "compact pressure filters" in line with both end of the cylinders. These are small filters about the size of a pop can that contain a metal filter like sintered bronze and filter down to about 25 micron. They are available for the pressure ratings necessary....3000psi or therabouts?

YMMV.

Jon.