• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Help:Starting excuvation/landclearing business

steve

Hello Guys, this is my first post, and I was wanting some info or advice on how you guys got started in the excavation/landclearing business. I have decided to get into this on my own. I have ran several small excavators and have a good mechanic background. Questions I have are: What is the best excavator to buy; what is the best way to finance, rent or buy a machine; and most of all what is the best way to get started and get some business going. The first six months to a year will be critical for me, because those excavator payments are not cheap, and I will need to line up a bunch of work before I get started. I was thinking about buying a dump truck, with a pindle hook trailer and an excavator to get started. Any advice of how you guys got started will be of great help, thanks.

Last edited:

tylermckee

You can't really go wrong with any of the new machines, im guessing you would want a 160 sized machine with a thumb. hitachi, deere, kobelco, cat, hyundai, they are all pretty good machines. all will have their own differences but you cant go wrong with any of them, the dealer would be more important to me. I dont know if you want to buy new or used, but if i was going to start an EXCAVATION company i sure as hell wouldnt want to be renting my machines all the time. I know that a member on this forum cascadescaper just got a new CAT 312 and cat was offering i think a 36 month no payment deal when you finance a new machine with them, might not be a bad idea for someone just starting.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums!!:drinkup

I'm just a small landscape company working with just a skid steer. I can tell you how a buddy of mine started his company, it was with just a backhoe, a used F-600 and used trailer. Keep your initial investment as low as possible so you can manage your debt, then as the revenue comes in you can invest more into the business. My buddy now has 4 tri-axle dumps, 2 six wheel dumps, a 655 backhoe, 2 Cat 315s, a number 12 grader, a D5, a 545 skip loader, a Michigan 75 and 175 payloader, NH ls180 skid steer, I/R paver and 2 Cat rollers!

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
I posted on your other thread, but I'll add a little bit here. With the finance plan we got from Cat, our payments are about $4000 a month I believe for a machine that came in at $147K with tax and all our buckets. We pay no interest, and like I mentioned in the other thread, we originally were under the impression there were no payments either, but my dad misunderstand what the sales guy said. Either way, it still pays out the same, so we might as well be making payments now. $4K a month is not hard to generate during the busy months, maybe a little tough in the winter but we do orchard removal during the winter and spring and it is huge money up here. During the average removal, we bid by the acre and at our production rate we're making upwards of $200 an hour, which is quite a bit more than our hourly rate of $120/hr.

It all sounds fine and good, but you're still jumping into a very expensive business to start up. If it wasn't for our tight knit community, we wouldn't have a good company to move our machine for us. We do a lot of work with a lot of people and that's what's helped us get going in excavation, our networking with other excavation guys, general contractors, and a general connection with a lot of trade folk throughout town. At this point, I don't have my CDL so we have a good friend who is doing our hauling for us. We're holding off on a dump until next year, spending a couple hundred grand this year wouldn't have been a good move on our part just yet, plus insurance on a truck is ridiculous.

For someone who is going to get started doing landclearing, I would honestly get an 8 ton machine. I know a guy that does foundations with an 8 ton machine because he can't afford a larger machine just yet, it takes him longer, but if you're not swamped with work when you first start out, what's your hurry to get done? You can get a NICE 8 ton machine for around $60K with reasonable hours and if you're a decent mechanic, you don't need a brand new machine, although the peace of mind is worth something.

puredieselpower

Occupation
I build Pole Buildings
what size excavator were you looking for a friend of mine uses a mini for his clearing then he also uses it for digging footers and running in sewer lines.