• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hello to all

thewizftl

I am glad that I found this forum. I have just graduated from a 6 week 300 hour training course in Heavy Equipment, Trackhoe, backhoe, rough grade dozer, loader.

I am changing careers after 18 years in upper level management in a different industry, I have decided to work with heavy equipment.

I look forward to reading the advice found in this forum, and maybe some tips on reducing my stress level when going in for my interviews/demos.

I hope that there are some companies in South Florida that are looking for a dedicated operator with no surprises.

Great to be here!

badranman

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner Cutting Edge Construction Limited
Great to have you here. You're story sounds like mine. After 10 yrs dealing with the $#@#$% of retail management I left it and never looked backed. Hope everything works out well.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Welcome to HeavyEquipmentForums!!:drinkup

Glad you found us! Take a look around, there's plenty of info to absorb. Don't be afraid to post any questions you might have.

thewizftl

Thanks for the welcome! I just had an interview and have to go out on my first demo on Monday on a Komatsu 400 excavator, for a 500 acre site clearing project. Needless to say I am a little nervous. I had my training on a Cat 311.

Do any of you pros have any advice or tips so I don't screw up my first opportunity?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and have a great day! :drinkup

DKinWA

Charter Member
Occupation
Biologist and Contractor
Just try to relax and take things as the come. No use working yourself into a frenzy. When you get to show them what you have, just do what you were taught. Don't try to show off, as they know your new and they're likely not expecting perfection. Personally, I'd take a less experienced operator that's willing to learn and has a good attitude in general. An employee with a bad attitude can drag an entire crew down if given a chance.

Working in upper level management as long as you have, you already know what makes a good employee. I doubt any of us can add much there. Take that knowledge with you and I'm sure you'll do fine.

thewizftl

It makes sense to do exactly as i was trained, combined with the employer knowing that I am green and it will take a few days to increase my cycle time. You are right that having been in management for so long I learned the hardest thing to find is an employee who is prompt, consciencious, safe and sober. You cannot train dedication and hard work.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I will feel much more relaxed now when I try out.

"The harder I work the luckier I get!"

Have a great day!!