• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

hello from pacific northwest

ricojsuave

Hello All,
Rick here in Spokane, Washington.

I start my 5-week pre apprenticeship training in January. I'm curious about lots of things, but thought I would start off with just a few questions for anyone willing to help:

Are the classes all day long?
How long after classes typically before getting to work and getting paid?
How many months out of the year do you usually work?
(probly only a question for you Northerners)
What kind of wage should I expect starting out?
(hopefully someone in my general vicinity)
Anything you suggest investing in? (rain gear, tools, etc)

Appreciate any help here as I am new to the field!

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Welcome to HeavyEquipmentForums.com!!:drinkup

I can answer only a couple questions.

Having rain gear is a good idea, and a narrow track shovel for cleaning can't hurt either. Next an insulated lunch box and 1 gallon water jug come to mind. Some jobs will put you quite a ways from food and water so carrying them becomes essential.

As with any other job, it would be a bit foolish to assume you will start at top pay scales (union jobs are the exception), so this would be determined by your market. You may have to take a less desirable job to start where you can improve/prove your skills to move on to something better.

In today's labor market, anyone who has reasonable skills, a good work ethic and shows up reliably is a valuable asset. If you have these traits, you can expect to do well.

I have a question for you: How did you learn of our Forums?

ricojsuave

Thanks for the reply. I am excited about the opportunity.
I just started surfing hoping to locate information and feedback on this trade. Looks like I found a good spot.

Rick