• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hellllpppp: Komatsu PC220LC-6 major problems

Jon_one

HELLLPPPPP !!!!!!!!!!!!!! i have a similar problem . But i cant post as yet :(

I am having a few problems with my 1999 komatsu pc220-lc6. i had a guy work on it and he messed up everything. i am now trying to troubleshoot and solve my problems .

1. today the machine decided not to respond to throttle inputs but revved fine manually when we go and push the throttle by the injector pump. it worked fine up to this morning .. we checked the throttle switch and it seemed to be working fine . we checked for continuity on it.. also i believe associated with this problem the machine wont shut off with the key and we would have to stall it . only started happening today .. could this be some sort of sensor on the pump / main valve system ?

2. the machine tracks very slow and weak unless i try to open the bucket which would be moving the right lever to the right position .. it just barely needs to be engaged to make the tracks move faster but it works and it makes a significant difference .

3. if you could give me some wiring and hydraulic diagrams of the machine that would be very good so i could trace all of my lines and make sure they are in the correct position since my ex- mechanic messed up all of our lines..

4. the machine gives off a error code E-02 .. i would go and verify this code in the morning ... i could also get more details about my machine like s/n if yall need it ! thanks a mill

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Welcome to the forum Jon_one. :usa

I moved your post to it's own thread hoping it will produce some response specific to your machine. ;)

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
You have a short in the wiring or a diode is blown. You should also check all the fuses. There are two that supply the engine control processor. The EO2 code is the notice to the operator that there is an electronic problem in the throttle control circuit.

One thing you shouldn't do is manually move the throttle control lever at the fuel pump. It turns the motor into a generator and can blow a diode or damage the processor. I'm going to be gone this weekend but if you PM me I can email you the procedure for getting into the codes and a list of what the codes are.

Jon_one

Ok so I got the codes . What I need now is a wiring diagram .. Some of my wiring was messed up and I want to run new wires properly . I would post errors just now . It was jus basically a few disconnects and a short .

Jon_one

1:01 abnormality in error display . Reset system
1:02 error in clock . Reset system
E2:22 short circuit in LS control EPC solenoisd system

posted from mobile phone .. Made a error don't know how to delete .

Last edited:

Jon_one

1:01 abnormality in error display . Reset system
1:02 error in clock . Reset system
E2:22 short circuit in LS control EPC solenoid system
E2:28 abnormality in auto deceleration output system
E2:33 disconnection in front pump TVC solenoid system
E2:37 disconnection in rear pump TVC solenoid system
E2:18 network response overtime error
2:13 disconnection in swing brake solenoid .

Jon_one

ok so the throttle problem ended up being a faulty ignition switch :s but in still have those issues ^ anyone could shed some light on them ?? i see three sensors by my hydraulic pump and this guy that had my machine a few months ago messed up my wiring :( .. i would post pics of each sensor i am seeing .. one has a bunch of hoses connected to it and is on the side witth the hydraulic tank.. the other two are on the pump itself ...

John C.

Occupation
Now that you have all those codes written down, you need to clear them out of the computer. Do this by holding the button on the back of the panel with the key on, then turn off the key still holding the button and count to ten slowly. Let go of the button and count to ten again. Now push the button again and turn on the key. Count to ten slowly and then proceed to checking for codes again. If they all clear and you still have the problems, you will need to check hashed wiring and blown diodes. The diodes are behind the operator and under the console pieces in the left rear corner of the cab. They are taped directly to the wiring harness.

Give me the serial number of your machine and I'll see if I have a book with the schematics.

Nice score on the tune up book. I've never seen it before and it is quite a find.

Jon_one

ok so i just followed your reset procedure and code 2:22 remained and now a new one popped up but i was expecting it 2:27 Abnormality in engine speed sensor system .. because in monitor mode i didn't see any engine rpm's... so that is just two problems now ! :D ... where is the engine speed sensor located ? and which sensor exactly is the LS control EPC solenoid ? i would look in the tune up book to check .. but still let me know, i checked for continuity in my solenoids and all three seemed to be good .. i guess its the wiring .. i think this solenoid is the one off the pump because i was just checking to see which was getting voltage etc.. and that particular one wasn't receiving any voltage . but the machine was just on ACC and not actually on so i thought that was why i know the other two for sure come on before the machine starts so it would not start under load ..

Jon_one

ok i would get serial number tomorrow i forgot about that just now .. and as for my remainder of problems .. some guy made us change our hydraulic pump because we had some problems with the machine a few years ago ... and apparantly nothing was wrong with the pump .. (not much people know about komatsu in my country) he checked pressure's and got 750 psi .. later on we found out that the stupid man checked the pilot pressure :S and not the main pump....

so now we have a poor installation .. pump and valve body isn't tuned .. tracking is not strong or fast unless you close the bucket while tracking ... the engine would rev up for everything else but turning the turn table .. so we often have to use another control to keep the revs up to move the turntable... and the boom retracts slowly .. and the arm raises slowly ..
so tomorrow i am going to tune up my pumps as directed in the tune up book and see if that helps .. i am trying to get some gauges .. what size is the access holes on the pump for the gauges ? i was thinking its a standard size ...

Jon_one

can anyone understand page 31 on that link i posted with the tune up book ?? it just so happens to be my valve body ...........

John C.

Occupation
You need to check the position of the bypass switches. They are in with the fuse box. I believe they are supposed to be in the up position but it has been awhile. They control the swing brake solenoid and the pump bypass. Shift them to opposite of what they are now and see if the codes go away.

As I recall the EPC solenoid is on the stack with the other solenoids but I'm not sure. What it does is turns the pumps on stroke real fast when you operate a function.

As to tuning the pump, you need to solve all the code problems before trying to adjust the pumps.

Jon_one

yes up position is correct... well its just one sensor i need to fix .. i guess i would have to trace the wires and test for voltage .. it may have come out where they joined it ...

Jon_one

Ok ! So it ended up being corroded terminals on my pump controller ! Now I am getting correct resistance to my solenoids ! I just have to tune my pumps now !

Jon_one

ls relief.jpg

ok so this is my ls relief valve right ? it was suggested to me by John.C that it may be bad but it seems to me that it is badly adjusted .. but i do have another ls relief valve lying around from an old main valve ..

Jon_one

Just a recap of my problems, tracking is sort of weak unless i operate the close bucket function .. just enough to barely move bucket ..
boom raise is slow .. arm is slow .. boom raise and arm in together is even worse ! bucket close is acceptable but needs a little work still . swing is fast sometimes . other times it is acceptable when it slows down a bit and i operate something else (bucket) while swing is operated it would speed back up ... arm out spikes from fast to acceptable momentarily ... like if i go from fully closed to open , during opening it would "spike" and you would hear and feel the increase in pressure ..

machine monitor blinks telling me my ppc pressure is low ... would check that this week...