• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Head mechanic, new to here.....

heymccall

New guy here. My name is Brian and I'm responsible for maintenance of the fleet for a sewer line contractor. I keep finding neat things to read about here, but I don't see what I think I'm looking for. We run almost all late model equipment here and everything has a coupler on it. I've been ordered to reengineer the aux plumbing on all my excavators so that digging is not impeded when working without a hyd attachment and I've redesigned it on quite a few, successfully. I was looking to see if someone else has done the same and also what types and brands of hose Quick couplings you are using.

Also, I'm surprised to see very little Brand A is better than Brand B banter on here. That's a good thing:) .

I tried to start a new excavator thread by I'm not authorized yet on this site.

Also, since every machine we own has at least 4 attachments, can anyone recommend a "Tim the Tool Man" tool belt to allow the excavators to carry all their attachments with them:D ?

BTW, I found this site following accident photos from another site.

TRACKHOE71

Occupation
OPERATOR
Welcome!

Welcome to HEF!:usa pics are always welcomed! Just have every track hoe carry around a stonebox with them to put there attachments in! just a thought!

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Also, I'm surprised to see very little Brand A is better than Brand B banter on here.

Thats because everybody knows that those brand A's were an absolute POC...Junk for sure...The Brand B's will bury them for breakfast...use heaps less fuel and are much more comfortable:rolleyes: :D

PSDF350

Thats because everybody knows that those brand A's were an absolute POC...Junk for sure...The Brand B's will bury them for breakfast...use heaps less fuel and are much more comfortable:rolleyes: :D

You are soooooooo wrong!!!! Brand A far exceeds brand b it's not even funny. :)

Wulf

Sweet hijack squizzy :notworthy

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
You are soooooooo wrong!!!! Brand A far exceeds brand b it's not even funny. :)

You have got to be kidding me:D Those Brand A's would hardly push the skim off a custard!....and crap service, you can't get parts, have to wait months for stuff to come from BrandAzackstan! and the damn things fall apart as you drive down the road!, no power, gutless.........I suppose you voted for Chevrolet in that other thread:rolleyes:

:lmao :lmao :lmao

PSDF350

You have got to be kidding me:D Those Brand A's would hardly push the skim off a custard!....and crap service, you can't get parts, have to wait months for stuff to come from BrandAzackstan! and the damn things fall apart as you drive down the road!, no power, gutless.........I suppose you voted for Chevrolet in that other thread:rolleyes:

:lmao :lmao :lmao
LOL Another reason education is so very important. Did you stop taking your medication again:) Hey squizzy you happen to notice my call sign PSDF350 still need to ask were I voted:pointhead Now go see a doctor about that brand B fetish. :eek:

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Those Brand C's are crap as well....I suppose you voted "None of the Above" in the Chev Vs Ford thread...:rolleyes: :D

I know you voted for "None of the above" there Mr. Squizzy so I guess the above statement holds true. What, the Isuzu just not cuttin it? :D

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
LOL Another reason education is so very important. Did you stop taking your medication again:) Hey squizzy you happen to notice my call sign PSDF350 still need to ask were I voted:pointhead Now go see a doctor about that brand B fetish. :eek:

I know you voted for "None of the above" there Mr. Squizzy so I guess the above statement holds true. What, the Isuzu just not cuttin it?

Awwww C,mon you guys stop picking holes in my fish net:D

CB old son, the Isuzu is just fine, as you would expect from the worlds best selling truck....saw the new model today:( ..all that chrome and lectrickery windows an stuff....plus about another 60 Horsepower :crying :crying Oh well...back to work:eek:

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
CB old son, the Isuzu is just fine, as you would expect from the worlds best selling truck....saw the new model today:( ..all that chrome and lectrickery windows an stuff....plus about another 60 Horsepower :crying :crying Oh well...back to work:eek:

Hind sight is 20/20. :D At the same time though, all that fancy stuff is just something else to break.

excavator

Here's the exact reason I asked a few months ago about a blog for mechanics only. heymccall is asking a decent question, and is happy to not see all the brand b.s. ect. and what does he get? 1 decent reply, a note from Steve, and over 10 replies that are exactly what he didn't want to see. It would be good to have a forum just for mechanics to ask questions. No B.S., no operators. Don't get me wrong, I've learned alot from operators. But when I need a technical question, relating to equipment repair answered, I talk to another mechanic, not with an operator. It's no different than an operator coming and asking me how to dig a ditch.

excavator

Parker, VEP and several other fitting companies make a screw together quick coupler which can be connected under pressure, some up to 4000psi. This way when the attachement is removed in the morning when it's cool outside, you can still reconnect the hoses in the afternoon when the heat has created pressure in the lines. They are a little spendy, around $100.00 and the only problem I've had with them is when they are dirty when connected. The face seal doesn't like sand. What kind of attachments do you use?

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Here's the exact reason I asked a few months ago about a blog for mechanics only. heymccall is asking a decent question, and is happy to not see all the brand b.s. ect. and what does he get? 1 decent reply, a note from Steve, and over 10 replies that are exactly what he didn't want to see.

With all due respect, he posted in the new member introductions thread, and his question was only a part of that post. Different people have different ways of browsing the forums, and somone who may have had a good answer to that question might not have bothered to read the new member introductions section. Internet BBs are a wonderful way to interact, but they have their limitations, and that's one of them.

As far as the other replies, I think he was specifically referring to the sort of "Cat is wonderful, and Case stinks" sort of comments that one might see. (I specifically chose two brand "C"s for that example.) The playful banter about brands A and B was just that. I don't think that was what he was objecting to.

Does anyone know of any forums covering heavy equipment repair? Some place where different problems and ideas/ solutions could be discussed. I would like to hear of any you might know of.

I assume the above quote from you is what you're referring to when you say you asked about something for mechanics only.

It would be good to have a forum just for mechanics to ask questions. No B.S., no operators. Don't get me wrong, I've learned alot from operators. But when I need a technical question, relating to equipment repair answered, I talk to another mechanic, not with an operator. It's no different than an operator coming and asking me how to dig a ditch.

In a PM I sent to heymcall, I told him I'm always glad to see mechanics become part of the forum. Many of the questions asked here are technical in nature, and it's the mechanics who are most likely to know the correct answers. At the same time, there are quite a few members who are a combination of things--operator/mechanic/owner, and they have both questions and answers to share. The way the forum is set up (generally by machine type) a member or guest knows where to ask questions and look for answers on that type of machine. If there was a section just for mechanics, I'm not sure it would work as well. Dozers would be mixed up with loaders with mini-excavators, etc.

I say the following, not to shoot your idea down, but as a serious question, for the good of the board--If you have a suggestion of a way to make that work, by all means make it. There's always room for improvement. :)

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Parker, VEP and several other fitting companies...

And here again, is an example of the limitations of the BBs way of doing things.

Your concise and intelligent answer to heymcall's question is buried here in a thread having nothing to do with the technical topic. If either of you would care to start a thread about quick couplings, perhaps in the "General Industry Questions" section, I can move your posts to it... :notworthy

PSDF350

Here's the exact reason I asked a few months ago about a blog for mechanics only. heymccall is asking a decent question, and is happy to not see all the brand b.s. ect. and what does he get? 1 decent reply, a note from Steve, and over 10 replies that are exactly what he didn't want to see. It would be good to have a forum just for mechanics to ask questions. No B.S., no operators. Don't get me wrong, I've learned alot from operators. But when I need a technical question, relating to equipment repair answered, I talk to another mechanic, not with an operator. It's no different than an operator coming and asking me how to dig a ditch.

This place would be dry and really boring if all there was was strictly an exchange of facts. Sorry but boys will be boys. And sometimes boys just wanna have fun. If some cant handle that, then go to google. You'll find what your looking for eventually, or not. Here I go again adding useless info.:beatsme