• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hayes trucks in the logging industry

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
The coal truck is actually a P-12..I thought it was one of Sowchucks coal trucks as well but I believe just the drivers door was his...Saddly that truck will probably be scrapped as the people who removed the engine found the need to torch the front(3 layers) of the frame off..Its worth its weight in parts tho....Cory

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
BC-12valve,generally the logging now is longer with the move to more highway trucks. We have seen the same thing over and over,log the flat in the summer and head to the mountain top in the winter. That is when you need a hobby.

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
Depending on where you want to live there are a lot of driving jobs around for highway logging truck in the interior of B.C.

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
The coal truck is actually a P-12..I thought it was one of Sowchucks coal trucks as well but I believe just the drivers door was his...Saddly that truck will probably be scrapped as the people who removed the engine found the need to torch the front(3 layers) of the frame off..Its worth its weight in parts tho....Cory
The 4 ex Sowchuck P-12 trucks sold at a on site Auction, 1975-$8,500.xx, the 2 1981 sold for $11,000.xx each and the 1982 went for 415,000.xx. the cost of rear ends, transmission and engines is worth far more $$.

BC-12valve

Belcarra, B.C. (Home) Merritt, B.C. (Work)
Occupation
Winch truck/Lowboy Operator (rig mover)
BC-12valve,generally the logging now is longer with the move to more highway trucks. We have seen the same thing over and over,log the flat in the summer and head to the mountain top in the winter. That is when you need a hobby.

So, historically late fall and winters are slower eh? Are there many seasonal guys?

Depending on where you want to live there are a lot of driving jobs around for highway logging truck in the interior of B.C.

I live in lower mainland, only place I'd move would be the island. Princeton eh, gorgeous country up there! We actually have a good family friend up in Princeton that owns a log truck and a few other pieces of logging equipment.

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
On the island,winter is the slower season. With the use of highway trucks and hyd. Loaders and processors,the crews work most of the summer only they may start 2-3hrs early and shutdown early. Using the off highway trucks with line loaders,the heat can shut them down sooner as friction of lines etc. can start a fire quickly.

BC-12valve

Belcarra, B.C. (Home) Merritt, B.C. (Work)
Occupation
Winch truck/Lowboy Operator (rig mover)
On the island,winter is the slower season. With the use of highway trucks and hyd. Loaders and processors,the crews work most of the summer only they may start 2-3hrs early and shutdown early. Using the off highway trucks with line loaders,the heat can shut them down sooner as friction of lines etc. can start a fire quickly.

Great information Blk prince, really appreciate it. Maybe if I have any more questions I'll shoot you a PM if you don't mind? I've derailed this thread so I'll let someone get back on topic!
Happy holidays everybody!

RCP57

Occupation
commercial fisherman/part time elf
I've made a little more progress finally on the little HD dump truck. I've spent most of the last few days working away on this stuff. It may not look like much but there are close to 30 hours tied up in these little wheels and the tooling I had to make first to stamp out the centers. The studs are 1-72x3/8 bolts and the brass ones in the axles covers are 0-80. Luckily enough the 0-80 holes aren't threaded. All 60 of the 1-72 holes sure are though! Patience is a virtue using taps that small in aluminum...

I have a bit more work to do on them but they are nearly finished appearance wise. I ordered up some decent looking tires for them. Hopefully they will be here next week sometime so that I can stick em on! My next step will be making frame rails and then I can start assembling the chassis. Anyway, I hope you guys enjoy the tiny parts...

Reg

dirty4fun

Reg, you are the man! You do a really great job of making your own part, and you pictures are just as good. Thanks for sharing, hope you have it ready for me to check out this summer.

RCP57

Occupation
commercial fisherman/part time elf
Thanks guys. Jim, you will have to fight the other Jim for the controls on this one. I guess that might answer your question Ian but if not, yes its for someone else. I don't get to keep this one :(

dirty4fun

Darn, O J gets to have all the fun, guess he also gets to pay to have the fun. I still think about how fun it was to operate your Hayes Reg, have shown the pictures to many people. Most couldn't believe you had built it, and so many of the others, even the kits you buy aren't as good as what you build Reg. Looking forward to seeing it as it comes together.

Salkeld

Hayes Cab

Hayes.jpg

This is quite the Hayes thread... I was wondering if anyone knows much about this cab? Years produced, model... I don't know too much about it at this point, other than in the early 50's the cab got wrecked on a Mack EHU (cement truck I think, about a '39), and that they pulled it off and put on the Hayes cab on the mack chassis...

Thanks!

Matt

HDX

Salkeld Welcome to the site! I think we were talking at the Duncan Truck Show a few years ago. Is the truck still around? I seem to recall it being down in Shawnigan Lake area or somewhere close to there. Is this her? The Hayes cab was adapted to this truck. Was originally a "BA" model cab and reworked to fit this application Will try and find a picture of a Hayes truck with the same cab. Cant promise it will happen right away because we are busy but I WILL LOOK for you OK

Salkeld

HDX, Thanks! I have been to a few of the ATHS shows in Duncan, but I'm there in my '40 Chev pickup... This Hayes belongs to a friend (Chris, it was his grandfathers truck) We're in the process of putting it back on the road, Aiming to be done for Nov of this year. That is her in the picture, from way back... It won't be a restoration, as the cab is all we had of it, but she will see the road again! The Cab is currently in Victoria, won't be too long before it goes under the knife for some extensive cancer removal and repairs... I think earlier in this thread I saw a beautiful looking dash... Are there replacement blanks available for the Data plate? Looking forward to a picture of a BA

Cheers,

Matt

Salkeld

1932 Hayes Anderson.jpg1935 Hayes.jpg1939 Hayes Anderson.jpg

I did a little more looking on the web, and don't recall seeing these ones on the thread. A '32, '35 and '39. Not sure what models they are...

The '39 (from Duncan?) looks similar with the front window, but different side windows and door hinges... In narrowing down the year of this one, looking like 36-38 from what I've seen so far...