• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hayes trucks in the logging industry

HDX

Post 1439 I tried to get a close-up of the cab roof. The head of the cab section (department at Hayes) was John Rotar!! He and his crew came up with a new idea for the severe service cabs and it was made of checker plate steel So the roof section on these trucks was made with the checker plate material rather than standard tin. Most HDX's had deckboards above the cab for protection but these trucks were not so the heavier roof made complete sense!!! If you want I can come up with other WHD pictures showing them in action mostly in the logging business. These were probably the most beautiful and very popular trucks at the time!

HDX

This is the only picture I have of John Rotar and the cab crew in the Hayes factory.
Wish I could ID the other guys.
IMG_0130.JPG

HDX

Yes Her sister went to Juskatala three weeks ahead of her coming to Franklin. H17 was still in pieces on the floor when I went over and saw her. The sister was H34 and a conventional. She ended up being sold to a couple different outfits after M&B went sideways. I was in Campbell River one day lookin around and went by Tom Turners place (CR Alltrucks) and out of the corner of my eye I caught sight of an HDX Spun around and went back. As soon as I saw the cab I know it was H34 then started looking under the yellow paint and sure enough there was the red and white. The reason I knew it was H34 is because H17 and her had a different style cab on them. Hayes was starting to gear up to try these new cabs that had been built up country (AGM) instead of the tried and tested cabs Hayes built themselves. I asked Tom about it and he and another guy had bought her but were going to resell her. I came back and told Dave Mills (log hauling contractor) about her and he went up and bought her. She is hauling down there in Sarita now . I will take a picture of the two of them together one day and post it. These were the last trucks built in the Hayes factory. There is a story making the rounds that there was a brand new LAST HDX being built up at Juskatla after these but it was an old 1966 HDX that they rebuilt with a new cab and fenders and hood Where we come from that was called a rebuild. Mike Murphy did this for many years so if you are gonna go down that road well then I would say Mike built the LAST HAYES several times over and ALL his rebuilds are still running around. That other one was burned to a crisp in a forest fire Money Talks BS walks and small change rides the bus Show me a serial number LOL

dirty4fun

You people need to get together and write a book about these trucks. You have so much history of the Hayes trucks, alone to have quite a book. It would be a shame to not save the knowledge for others to read. There could be a whole library of books about all these machines that it take to harvest timber.

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
Some pics of Hayes WHD - same truck as posted in #1437. I am still looking for pictures of the HDX posted in #1432. I've seen one painted yellow and one painted purple. Both got same front fender style like post #1432.

Attachments

• Hayes WHD bed1s.jpg
    Hayes WHD bed1s.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 772
  • Hayes WHD bed2s.jpg
    Hayes WHD bed2s.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 781
  • Hayes WHD bed3s.jpg
    Hayes WHD bed3s.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 766

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
Post 1439 I tried to get a close-up of the cab roof. The head of the cab section (department at Hayes) was John Rotar!! He and his crew came up with a new idea for the severe service cabs and it was made of checker plate steel So the roof section on these trucks was made with the checker plate material rather than standard tin. Most HDX's had deckboards above the cab for protection but these trucks were not so the heavier roof made complete sense!!! If you want I can come up with other WHD pictures showing them in action mostly in the logging business. These were probably the most beautiful and very popular trucks at the time!

HDX; Great Pictures and don't say that twice. Please post them! You know that is my favorite Hayes model!!!

ap40rocktruck

Occupation
Owner / Master Model Maker
Interesting to see the Superpesa WHD's in the factory fresh look. Flex frame for heavy haul. So did these have Clark trans or Allison? 12v71 power?

Ap40

Sicard

To HDX, regarding post 1439. Those are beautiful trucks, thanks so much for sharing the photos with all of us. If only we could go back in time. I have a question if someone could answer it, that would be great. On T. Brad Dunkin's site I see a what looks like a Hayes HDX with a Scot cab. What's the story on this one?

ben46a

I'm amazed that someone in BC even knows what a Scot is! They just tore the plant down about 5 years ago, still had 2 fulley dressed cabs inside and a bunch of new bare cabs and hood outside.

Sicard

Ben46a, Yes, I have heard of a Scot. The Canadian Army had one on Vancouver Island when I lived there. Have you seen the truck I mentioned on that post 1453 it looks to me like the best from both coasts of our fine country, Hayes and Scot. I was wondering if there was a connection, between Atlantic truck and trailer (JD irving Scot ) and Hayes.

HDX

Sicard , Scot bought the manufacturing rights to Hayes after Paccar shut down Hayes in Nov/75. They had the idea that they would custom build a few of these trucks but alas it was not to be Too expensive and just too labour intensive to build I know that they used the Rad / Bumper/ and fenders and a few other components that were used on the Hayes HDX and adapted the Scot Cab etc . I never did see the frame layout or what frame was used under these. A lot of the Hayes components were out sourced by this time, and with Hayes in downtown Vancouver (225 W 2nd Ave) now gone a lot of these companies just ceased making parts. Scot seemed to just fade away in the late 90's and never heard much about them after that. Yes they did have Military contracts to supply trucks for Fueling at Air Bases as well as heavy haul lowbed tractor's and standard type 6x4 service tractors. Cant add much more than that Sorry

ben46a

Ben46a, Yes, I have heard of a Scot. The Canadian Army had one on Vancouver Island when I lived there. Have you seen the truck I mentioned on that post 1453 it looks to me like the best from both coasts of our fine country, Hayes and Scot. I was wondering if there was a connection, between Atlantic truck and trailer (JD irving Scot ) and Hayes.

http://hankstruckpictures.com/pix/t...2005/jan27/scot-dump-truck-body-installed.jpg

This is the one your refering too? It. Sure does look like a hayes of some sort.

Born2clearcut

1960 Port Renfrew area
BCFP's Truck #203 with a few big logs on top

Attachments

• july1960renfrew  T 203.jpg
    july1960renfrew T 203.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 1,640
  • july1960renfrew  T 203 (1).jpg
    july1960renfrew T 203 (1).jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 1,648
  • july1960renfrew  T 203 (2).jpg
    july1960renfrew T 203 (2).jpg
    317.6 KB · Views: 1,652

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Great pictures Born2clearcut, we are so lucky your grandfather was such a great photographer and your sharing them with us . An old friend rwt got hold of me yesterday , his dad Loyd Thompson drove the #223 and #6-237 HDX Hayes preload logging trucks new at BCFP Renfrew Div. ,and has some pictures he'd like to share with us . He also worked for Taylor Way around its final day's. Welcome to the site rwt . HDX rwt tells me he seen the #6-237 at Narrows Inlet ,so thats where it went when it left Renfrew in 1986.