• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hayes trucks in the logging industry

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
Sorry I dont know but I have seen several off highway trucks with that kind of dump box. I have only seen one name on box, SSW. Maybe someone can further information.

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Interesting dump box, was that built from a tank car or tank of some sort?
That Gravel / Rock Box looks to be a recycled water or oil tank off a rail road car . When the Logging Rail Roads were shut down most of the equipment was cut up for scrap , but a lot of "Tanks" found new uses .

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
That Gravel / Rock Box looks to be a recycled water or oil tank off a rail road car . When the Logging Rail Roads were shut down most of the equipment was cut up for scrap , but a lot of "Tanks" found new uses .
Hi Al, it was so great to meet you again and Thank you for showing up at the show and sharing your information/knowledge about BC logging industri/history.
Well you might be right but I think the box is to wide to be a railway tank car but I have been wrong so many times before

camptramp

Occupation
Hi Al, it was so great to meet you again and Thank you for showing up at the show and sharing your information/knowledge about BC logging industri/history.
Well you might be right but I think the box is to wide to be a railway tank car but I have been wrong so many times before
Good point , but I'm pretty sure it was some kind of a tank .

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
Fun to see this old HD still going strong and kept in really good condition. I remember way back in 2005 when I followed her for over an hour before she stopped and dumped a load and had a chat with the owner.
8F5C9457-AD5E-45B4-8077-FF535057D6B0.jpeg C1FEF928-FA0E-46B2-8FB2-E87E9F27FBA2.jpeg 52C56FB9-4E9D-442E-8060-8622C0B11EAD.jpeg

camptramp

Occupation
The HD Hayes in picture is a very unique truck the late Richard Neva ( unfortunately we lost Richard earlier this year ) was a very talented man great driver , mechanic , welder and fabricator . He was an owner operator with a logging truck around the Cowichan Valley for many years . When "third axles" were appearing in the logging industry , Richard made a "Dog Logger" out of his two axle pole trailer . He ran smaller diameter tires on his trailer so he could get more pay load , due to the extra height he gained . The HD Hayes in the picture was to be his last logging truck . He wanted a solid truck that had no fiberglass to crack . He found a Hayes with a good cab and built a truck from the ground up . New frame rails and X member's new suspension Cat engine new trans . When the truck was nearing completion many things changed in the Cowichan Valley concerning Independent Log Haulers , Richards Contact disappeared and his will to finish the Hayes also disappeared . Richard had done most of the wrenching and welding on the truck himself , but at times his son Scott and friend Lance Lingren had pitched in to help along the way . Richard had gotten the Hayes running for the Hayes 75th show at Port Alberni but it hadn't done much since . Lance and Scott got the Hayes running for Richards Memorial Service which was shortly before the Hayes 100th at Port Alberni . Trevor Bennett who owns the green twin steer self loading Hayes HD and several other friends encouraged Scott to take the Hayes to Alberni for the 100th . Richard would be proud , The crew is getting smaller RIP Richard .