1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Hayes trucks in the logging industry

Discussion in 'Forestry Equipment' started by Hayesno1, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Hallback

Hallback Senior Member

Gyppo tower logger
    Are there any camps left on the island?

John C. and DMiller like this.
  2. camptramp

camptramp Senior Member

Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
    Good Question ! There are still Logging Operations on the Island , but the camps that were off the beaten path and semi isolated , all have better roads into them and the Cook Houses and Bunk Houses have been closed down and now have the crew commute from where ever they live to logging operations . There maybe a couple on the North end of the Island , that still have a cook house and bunk houses . There are areas on the North West coast of Vancouver Island that are still isolated with no road access that would have a camp with Cook House and Bunk House's . The last time I was at a camp out of Gold River for a ten and four shift as a relief driver . The camp was a Trailer Complex set up on a Barge .

Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
    Hank R, John C., dirty4fun and 5 others like this.
  3. Hallback

Hallback Senior Member

Gyppo tower logger
    Most of the camps I was in for Columbia were float camps. We only had 3 or 4 land camps

4. Tones

Tones Senior Member

Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
    Just found this video

5. Hayesno1

Hayesno1 Senior Member

Project manager
    I got this flyer from a very good friend. I have just booked/payed my ticket to BC so I can participate the show on The Island. Hopefully I will see/meet some of you at the “Hayes 100” Anniversary show in Port Alberni. 95506405-9C5D-49E3-80C2-FF4A1362F59A.jpeg

6. Hayesno1

Hayesno1 Senior Member

Project manager
    Here is a link to a Rayoniers log trucks safety driving from the early 50s. Look at Hayes model 20-19 - 20 indicating a 200 hp engine. Later you will see Mack LM models and at the end a Sterling/White from the early 50’s.

7. Hayesno1

Hayesno1 Senior Member

Project manager
    I found this video Yesterday.

3 Hayes trucks going for auction - old M&B unit #H28 and #H89 from Shawnigan Div. Both HDX models but as I recall #H89 was original an HDX preloader that was converted to a standard logging truck. Yellow truck is an HD model. I do hope they will survive and put in to service or restored. They seem to be in pretty good shape. Well less than 3 month I will visit the Island and go hunting off highway trucks and other logging equipment