• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hayes trucks in the logging industry

HDX

As a side note The engine side panels were changed to the drop in /lift off style. Also deleted the front air cleaner when 3408 was installed. This picture was taken when H189 was on the re-haul hauling from their dryland sort to the dump on the alberni Canal. The "Pup" trailer behind this truck came from Menzies Bay Division. Was hauled down from there by Vic Rowlinson with his highway Kenworth and lowbed, and hauled to Cameron Division. We were going to utilise a couple of them on a specific haul but as things turned out they never really got used so were sent over to Sproat Lake division to replace the old Pacific trailers we sent over there some years before, one of them being X309 a 1967 50 ton Pacific trailer with Budd Wheels

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
Yes I notice the similarity to the Challengers.After looking again I can see the side panel revisions..
I find small changes like these and other camp changes interesting.They also give the trucks a little personality of their own other than there long history of owners and their numbers.
This is a whole other subject tho...

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Boulder Bill , Mesachie Lake . Picture #1 BCFP #6-246 Timberwest #40-125 . Picture #2 BCFP #6-245 Timberwest #40-124 .scan572.jpg scan573.jpg scan574.jpg scan575.jpg Picture #4 BCFP 6-252 Timberwest #40-129 .

diamondtguy

Occupation
First yellow HDX looks like a KW rebuild.Headlight boxes and removeable side panels.Who's rebuild/refit are the next two(maybe the same truck) HDX's.Quite the mix of Hayes,Pacific and KW touches on the front end.Side panel handles are painted I assume to give the illusion of the original design..
Probably the first HDX I have seen with the cat walk supports.

DBDLS

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Last 2 pics are of Kip Brown rebuild. They did 2 trucks...N14, 18 speed Roadrangers, extended the height of the rad tanks, plumbed the air to air piping over the top of the rads, raised the cab 8 inches I believe, modified water and fuel tanks and made new mirror support brackets, fabbed new fenders that allowed access to the sides of the powerplant, used Kenworth rubber latches for side panels and KW style mechanisms to keep top hood panels open. A lot of work was done to make a fine looking HDX rebuild.

Saw one recently that looked like it was being parted out. A real shame.

HDX

First picture is Franklin River Division's first HDX. We had 4 other WHDX's in 1968 but this was the first HDX with an Allison Trans. Driver was Lawrie Drybrough. Second picture is a K/W rebuild diamondtguy 3rd and 4th pictures were taken by me when Jim Falconer and I went over to Powell River to see about some parts that Kip Brown was getting rid of, Bob Hoar wanted to copy them so I let him . We had been over there a little while before and this truck was still undergoing this rebuild. It was a freezing cold day and we ended up getting screwed up with ferries BUT we got the parts LOL

diamondtguy

Occupation
Thanks guys..A lot of work and thought went into those HDX's..Kip Browns name rings a bell with me.Did he by chance have some P-16's in later years..
HDX....Lawrie Drybrough would be your dad ???

HDX

Yes, He drove Hayes's from 1948 till he was finally seduced to the dark side on Oct 27/76 when he went onto a P16 Pacific. He would go on to finish his career on H40

diamondtguy

Occupation
I don't know what's making me quietly giggle more....That fact that he was seduced to the "DARK SIDE" or the fact that you know the exact day it happened...
Does that mean I am from the "DARK SIDE"..????(its ok.....I know I am lol)

HDX

Cory, It was a running joke between Dad and I. He said he never had a truck that rode as good as a Pacific. I said to him, SEE IT ALREADY AFFECTED YOUR ABILITY TO THINK CLEARLY. LOL, Was a good time, Sure miss him!!!!

diamondtguy

Occupation
My dad was my best friend..Its a relationship that cant be duplicated or replaced.Saddly he died in 1988 at the age of 53.The Diamond T was his.He bought it in 1968..I still have it ...
I have heard the Pacifics ride better than the Hayes but I am sure your dad was just poking his son in the ribs to wind him up a little...

dirty4fun

I worked with me dad for almost 30 years on the farm, we were not only father and son but best of friends, too. Miss him dearly, but still have all the thoughts and lots of dreams where we are together. A great man!!