• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hayes trucks in the logging industry

HDX

Al I had talked to Calvin and Mike Cross both about her but neither could really remember what 40-117's number really was. Do not know who or where her remains ended up. Hopefully sitting in the back of some yard in the weeds. As for the winch on 246, Well she was low bedded down to Sarita where she was pushed into the line among the Fire Tankers. She would end up never being started or even looked at by anybody but me. I kind of watched over all those old girls. Things would go missing from all of them and I tried to keep a list with dates etc but it all seemed to fall on deaf ears. The favorite parts truck seemed to be old 246 and nearing the end she was to have so many things removed it was impossible to keep up. Both doors were completely stripped of all their part's including the windows and vent windows . I managed to jam them shut with a two x four in the grab handle's and cover the windows with plastic tarp. The decision was made that she would be dragged out into the yard and the winch was to be cut off. The scrap guys came from Campbell River so when they got there I went over with a spray can of paint and marked where to cut without doing any more damage that had already been done They did a good job but the winch was their prize. Truck was destined to be dragged onto the barge and go to the Duke Point auction. I made a few calls and arranged to buy her right there. Got one of the other drivers to give me a hand after work and we pulled her over and pushed her in beside the 17. In the mornings while 17 was warming up I would go over 246 and make notes of what all was missing and what would be needed to get her going again. Would get home and load the pick up on Friday nite and drive down on Saturday morning and spend the day working on her. Took a lot of time but finally put a set of batteries in her and primed the fuel system again and she flashed right up. There was air coming out of places that I had never even imagined. Lots of plugs and fittings and air lines replaced then drove her over to the fire hose and washed her all off. Made arrangements with Dave Golbeck who was driving the lowbed and when he was coming up to Cameron Shop Yard to get a loader, he back hauled her up there for me. Did not want to drive her because the last time she had an oil change ,It was in a BCFP Shop by their guys. Worked out very well. Did encounter some issues when installing new oil filters though. That can be another story when we hook up some time. Never was able to find out if in fact the winch was re-sold or recycled.

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Thanks Steve , the saving of the #6-246 is a good story , its an interesting Truck with a interesting history . To be saved from the clutch's of the scrap dealer is a happy chapter in its history . To be restored for a future pampered life is the icing on the cake .
I'm not absolutely certain of the BCFP # of the #40-117 , but it was originally a Preloader , if that narrows the mystery down a little .

HDX

For sure Al Somehow we should be able to come up with a positive ID eventually. If for nothing else but peace of mind. At least then she will be accounted for.

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
Not familiar with a 600HP V12 silver 71.Looks like its twin turbo.With 600HP and 120 rears its getting to be a serious truck...I remember doing a P-16 winch preloader for use with the folding reach trailers..Good looking truck

camptramp

Occupation
I'm a little curious about that too , I've driven that truck a couple of day's now and then , it wasn't an overly powerful truck . The ex BCFP #6-251 Timberwest #40-128 had about the strongest Twin Turbo V12-71 , I think Calvin & Mike got it up in the 570's . Calvin Oliver & Mike Cross rebuilt & repowered several Hayes HDX's & Pacific P 16's and really did an out standing job . We really had some great guy's in the Maintenance shop back in the day .

HDX

Top picture of 36-81 is in fact ex 209 a 1954 HDX not an HD. Bottom picture is 249 She has 91,000lb Clark diff's NOT 120's Did he mean BD121's There was never a BCFP Hayes with 121's in it. As a side note Al I talked to Lance and he confirmed that 40-117 was in fact old 220

camptramp

Occupation
Don't yea just love a little controversy . LOL The Hayes HDX parked behind the #36-81 is the #36-85 ex BCFP #222 . The Hayes HDX sand truck is an ex Caycuse truck not sure of ex BCFP# . I was sent over to Caycuse to borrow it one time when we were still BCFP . Heading back to Honeymoon Bay , got passed the DLS and stopped to look in the box to see if it was loaded , stopped just passed the Caycuse Campsite to see if brakes were dragging . The old V12 was pretty tired .

HDX

Al The sand truck was old 219 later had a fire tank mounted on her and re-numbered 36-120. The HDX above with the rad out of her is ex BCFP unit 228

HDX

That Dumptruck was ex M&B Nanaimo River Division Logging truck H-91 Is a 1955 HD 18-60. Came with a Rolls Royce Engine with 8041 main and 8031C aux SFD 4600 rear diffs and 11:00X22 tires

HDX

First picture---- HD Hayes White and green Was a Foster Truck from north Island being used at Franklin. Later returned to north Island Second picture----- is an ex M&B Franklin River Division 1972 Hayes HDX. Unit number H110 sold to Pat McKay. Picture taken at Camp A at their Mill Site. He eventually sold the truck and it went from the R/B Auction to a buyer in Squamish where it sat for a while then resold again and went back logging. Third picture---- is ex BCFP Caycuse Division HDX unit number 6-229, Sold to Island Pacific Logging as a Fire Tanker. Truck still owned by IPL but will be for sale. Still has all the pre-Load assembly on her. Only need's a Folding reach trailer and an oil change and a new clutch (From what I was told) she could go back to work V12 with 6 speed main and 4 speed aux trans. Fourth picture ---is Ex 1972 M&B Franklin River Division HDX H112. Truck was made into a line horse in the mid 80's and then sold to Joe Carvello Contracting when Weyerheauser took us over. Joe made it into a ramp truck to haul his excavators around, Then the Industry went into toilet and he parked her. Was later sold to somebody up at the north end of the island. Winch that came off her was sold to a guy in Campbell River that mounted it on his Kenworth but now winch is for sale again because the Kenworth has been parted out.

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator

HDX

No Cory H189 was an inhouse rebuild at Sproat Lake Shop Body shop did the up-grade there Don Bodner and Bob Creighton were the body shop crew there Not sure but somewhere I have pictures of her at Lamar Lake Logging. Maybe their bone yard is where I saw her last. Those headlites were a take off idea from the challenger style trucks--see the similarity there??? They had a preload truck there made at challanger and thought the box lites were cool, so they put them on her