• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hauling dozer

Bandit44

What would be the best setup to haul a 550JD dozer. The weight of the dozer is around 18500 lbs. I can move it now with a one ton truck and trailer but I don't go far from the house. I am starting to need to move it longer distances and more often and would like a bigger setup, but don't want more truck and trailer than needed. Any suggestions?

Turbo21835

Honestly, it is always better to one up your truck and trailer combo from what you currently have planed. This way in the future, if you want to expand you do not have to expand your trucking to go with it. I would say your best bet will be a tandem axle dump with a good trailer.

One other option, is build yourself a dozer truck based off of a tandem axle truck. I worked for one company that had three. Basically, it is a flat bed with beavertail on a tandem axle truck chassis. All three were set up specifically for fast movement and self sufficiency. All had a transfer pump that was hooked into the fuel tanks of the truck. You have to run on road fuel which is the only downside. They are a great option as long as you dont need to haul anything but the dozer. Of course the downside is you cannot drop the dozer off, and go get a load of dirt or stone for the job, you need to rely on someone else for materials.

Reuben

These questions always blow me away...but yet I commend you for asking if you honestly dont know. The bigger the better of course, what is legal generally is not always safe. personally I like to see our investments going down the highway in a safe and secure manner. If I were going to set a truck up for the sole purpose of towing the 550 I would get a nice single axle,deisel engine with atleast a split rear end tranny,air brakes and a well built tag with air brakes. this way you can wizz down the highways and feel plenty relaxed

Bandit44

I didn't mean to ask a stupid question, just wanted advice from someone who had more experience in hauling equipment. I know there could be several ways to haul it, I just thought some setups might work better and be cheaper that others. I know that I could buy a large truck and a 50 ton lowboy to haul it but I don't think that's in my buget at this time. Thanks for the suggestions.

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
Exactly what erthmover said is the perfect rig.Please don't be stupid and try moving it with that 1 ton truck---not enough ass by any means.Been in this biz for 35 years now,I would like to think I know a thing or 2.Just to prove my point,I have a 450D which gets hauled by my 02 Chevy 7500{33K GVW} and 10 ton Evans trailer.

LT-x7

Occupation
Earth Moving Contractor
Keep in mind if your not moving the dozer at least several times a month its cheaper to hire someone to haul it. Check into the registration and insurance on a rig like that, not to mention the license to drive it.

John White

A 26,000 GVW would be a great improvement over your 1 ton. You would still be a little on the small side. When you go over 26K your tags and insurances really goes up. Of course you want to be on the safe side. You can find some of those under 26K pretty reasonable. (Sometimes less that a 1 ton.) I know its safer and more practical to go larger than smaller, then you can expand. It would scare me to pull a JD450 with a 1 ton. I have a 1 ton and pull a little Mitsubishi dozer and this still makes me pucker in a panic situation. It weighs only 9K. I have a little Chev 6000 dump that is rated at 20k and it handles it vry well. Plently of brakes & additional weight. Plus I have good trailer brakes. You dont want to scrafice safety for price but you seem to be like me, there is a limit on what you can afford when you are a small businless. But definately none of us can afford a law suit to save a few dollars.

IdleUp

Just make sure you have a CDL license if you hook that trailer up!

Remember if the GVW of the truck and trailer (even if empty) exceeds 26K you need a CDL

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
nobody but a fool would try to move that machine with a one ton. No less than a 26,000 GVW single axle dump truck and a 12 ton tag trailer with air brakes would be best. This will require a class A CDL to drive it too. Remember, the rating for the trailer is the gross, not the net.

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
You can't be even close to legal on the trucks GCWR in NY no matter how it tows. If you can into an accident even if it is not your fault it would be a laywers dream. In 1978 I had an old Lull which was 18,000 lbs and I had a decent trailer and a Chevy C-50 I forgot the spec's on the truck may be 18,000 GVWR. Towing the machine just ate the rears out of the truck so fast it was crazy. Then I got a C-7000 and it has a 28,000 GVWR and I was towing a 23,000+ lb telehandlers. Still a hard job for that truck although it never had a mechanical problem I now just pay someone to haul them for 400 bucks each way.

Bandit44

Still looking for something to haul my dozer on. I looked at an auction Friday and they had a 1999 International forestry truck. It was a 4900 DT 466E with a dozer bed and hyd. ramps. This truck had a dual axle rear end and they said they had been hauling a 550 dozer on it. Do yall think a setup like this would be considered a good way to move the dozer? I don't know the specs on this truck but if the state forestry commission had been using it it should be legal. Looks like it would be just what I need and easy to get around with.

Turbo21835

Still looking for something to haul my dozer on. I looked at an auction Friday and they had a 1999 International forestry truck. It was a 4900 DT 466E with a dozer bed and hyd. ramps. This truck had a dual axle rear end and they said they had been hauling a 550 dozer on it. Do yall think a setup like this would be considered a good way to move the dozer? I don't know the specs on this truck but if the state forestry commission had been using it it should be legal. Looks like it would be just what I need and easy to get around with.

Thats almost the exact truck I talk about in post #3 in this thread. Its a good option even with its versitility downsides. Ive never driven one down the road, and it seems like there would be a few situations where it would be a harry ride, considering you have the weight up there. Then again, maybe its no different than a dumptruck :beatsme

Bandit44

The worst drawback I can see Turbo with a setup like this is the dozer setting up kinda high. But other than that I think it would do just fine with what I am wanting to do with it. I am not going to be going far from home just moving it around the county. But it might end up driving and handling like my wife's Jeep Cherokee with that dozer sitting on it. Thanks for your advice Turbo.

td8

Banned
The forestry division around here use those type trucks to haul their dozers on.They look like a good set up if you drive a lot on small country roads.I know my tandem dump and tag trailer are hard to get turned on small roads.As for the handling I would say they would drive about like a log truck.

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Load is going to be high and behind the cab. If you have to stopt quick or God forbid somebody should it you head on the dozer will be right through the cab. I won't haul anything like that on a bed behind the cab.

Bob Horrell

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner/Operator grading business
I have a buddy that hauls a D4H with a similar setup. The disadvantages are difficulty loading/unloading in uneven terrain and the high center of gravity. We are in a hilly area where access is sometimes tight. His truck gets in and out of tight areas much better than my triaxle dump and equipment trailer.

KomatsuD31p

Towing

I have a Komatsu D31p-20. I think it weighs in around 15,000lbs. I pull it with my F-450 and a 32ft tandem dual gooseneck dovetail with 12k dexter axles. I have no problems, but I cant go 100mph but I dont need to either that would be dangerous. Does anyone have any input on this by the way it has 12 1/4" x 5" electric brakes. Thanks