• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hauling a Case cx160 excavator with a dump truck.

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Concrete building slab and grading contractor
Ok. I understand the legal limits. I was more asking if you had a preference on how much you want on the truck. My trailer tires are only good for 4500 lbs each x 8 means that the trailer cannot have more than 36 K on the tandems, which is inline with the federal 34 k limit. Truck weighs 26,500 lbs, trailer is about 10,000 lbs and machine weight is to be determined.

I am guessing I need at least 25 k on the truck tandems...

Shimmy1

Ok. I understand the legal limits. I was more asking if you had a preference on how much you want on the truck. My trailer tires are only good for 4500 lbs each x 8 means that the trailer cannot have more than 36 K on the tandems, which is inline with the federal 34 k limit. Truck weighs 26,500 lbs, trailer is about 10,000 lbs and machine weight is to be determined.

I am guessing I need at least 25 k on the truck tandems...
You're going to needing at least 28k on the drivers, because with a pintle, you're only going to end up with about 10k on the steer, if you're lucky.

I think he has that hoe right where it needs to be. We hauled a 25 ton hoe for 10 years on a 25 ton tag trailer. Steer had 9k, drivers had 29k, and trailer had 48k, with the hoe 18" from the front of the trailer.

skyking1

You're going to needing at least 28k on the drivers, because with a pintle, you're only going to end up with about 10k on the steer, if you're lucky.

I think he has that hoe right where it needs to be. We hauled a 25 ton hoe for 10 years on a 25 ton tag trailer. Steer had 9k, drivers had 29k, and trailer had 48k, with the hoe 18" from the front of the trailer.
I agree with that, but my preference would be more rubber on the trailer than the 4500 pound tires he has, and the excavator farther back. The way it is that is the way it has to sit.
OP, scale for your trailer axles. Go get a load ticket on a scale, and move on.
Keep in mind when you load that hard behind the axle on a pintle hitch, it will do some umwelcome pushing in downhill corners. Nothing that can't be handled but the first time it happens on a slick rainy day it is an eye opener. It is not the same as a tractor 5th wheel, it gets a little more leverage on you.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
You may turn out to be right Shimmy, only after the rig is weighed will we know, but regardless, I don't like the looks of it and wouldn't go that route. That's just me.

Skyking, that is another point, I pulled a 160 on a 25 ton, two axle for a short period of time. I didn't like how it travelled, felt unstable. I sold it and bought the triaxle. Again, that's me, it probably was ok, i will roll the dice on different things, this just isn't one of them. The peace of mind is worth the better trailer.

skyking1

yeah I have no choice here in WA, I can literally watch the needle bounce at 34K with my setup *IF* I am far enough forward and I remember to take the bucket off too. A bigger machine would mean a different trailer too.
The way my setup is is totally comfortable with the 120.

JaredV

If you have a quick coupler, put the bucket/s in the front of the box to take weight off the trailer and get it closer to the steer axle.

suladas

It really is amazing how far forward the hoe needs to be to get the right pin weight, I found I wasn't loading mine anywhere near far forward enough until I scaled it. I run my 210 36" from headboard in this picture it was 38" from headboard and pin weight was 12,800lbs. It does make the steers light at 8000, but can't notice in how it drives.

As long as you're not exceeding any tire/axle/road weight limits a 160 is fine on a tandem. My 210 weights 50,000lbs and i've had no issues in 5 years now on my 25 ton tag.

Attachments

• 487EC182-D102-4872-9591-2C11AE6EB486.png
    487EC182-D102-4872-9591-2C11AE6EB486.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 44