• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hauling a Case cx160 excavator with a dump truck.

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Concrete building slab and grading contractor
I bought a new to me larger excavator. After looking for several years, I found something that I hope is about right for my truck and trailer, a Case CX160.

I have not been able to determine the actual machine weight because it is listed as different amounts. The lowest I have seen is 28,500 lbs. But most every where online shows it weighting 36,500.00 lbs to 38,000 lbs. I have a tandem dump truck and an 20 ton eager beaver trailer. The trailer length is about right for a Cat 953, the truck does ok pulling the track loader.

My trailer load capacity is 48,000 lbs and the trailer weight is about 9500 lbs. 20 ton pintle hitch.

The machine I bought is 200 miles from me and I am wondering if I make the drive, if i can get it on my trailer and get it home. Would the boom go towards the cab or the rear of the trailer. The 953 puts the weight right on top of the trailer axles.

Will I able to haul this with my dump truck or do I have too much excavator? My avatar shows my truck and trailer. If you right click it and open it in a new tab you can see my trailer better.

I am worried about the tongue weight.

What do you think?

Last edited:

skyking1

Where are you at? If you are running the federal axle rule, you can't haul that and keep under the 34,000 pound limit on a tandem trailer. A 3 axle trailer hauls it with no questions.
You may be able to fix that with a permit.
.Load it up and knuckle it in tight with the boom to the back and everything curled up and laid between the tracks. Measure the top of the machine to the deck and the deck height to know how tall you are running. It will be close to 13', only 6" below the legal height.
Ritchie brothers specs it at a little over 10' so the 3' deck gets you to 13'.

IceHole

13.5ft? It's 15 here. Didn't realize it was so low elsewhere.
10.5 wide.

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Well heck. It never crossed my mind that it could be a wide load. I wonder how much tongue weight I will have if I back it onto the trailer. Sure seems like a big counter weight. I will not need to get on an interstate but I have never been on the back roads that way so I don't know what bridges there are. Something that seems so straight forward now has a pucker factor.

skyking1

Last edited:

skyking1

If you are in Georgia you can haul 20,340 pounds per axle on a tandem, for a total of 40680 pounds.'

https://oversize.io/regulations/axl... Route Gross Weight:,4 axles is 70,000 pounds.
36,200 excavator
9,500 trailer
45,700 total

I run about 6000 pounds of tongue weight with my 120. I have to meet the 34000 pound tandem rule.
PXL-20210528-222349975.jpg

You need to run a bit over 5000 on the tongue to be legal.
It will be fine. It may take a few moves to figure out the driving sweet spot.

Last edited:

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Thanks Sky King,

I notice that the axles on your trailer seem more centered than mine. Mine are further to the rear of the trailer. Is it possible that the machine might need to be loaded with the boom forward?

skyking1

Yes, if that is your truck you are a little forward eh?
Note that the end of the tracks are even with the back axle in my setup, and that leaves me with 34,000 exactly on the rears and the ~6000 on tongue. You are way forward of that. I'd go even up or even a bit aft of that back axle with the end of the track.
Remember that you will fine tune it after a short drive to get the sweet spot.
I can drive across the state scales here when they are out of service, but if that is not an option you might just go pay $10 to get a scale ticket at a CAT scale or a rock pit. Drive on slow, let it stabilize as each axle comes on to the scale and note each weight. Then you are no longer guessing and you can tune it up right there.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I pulled my CX160 and now 160X4 with a triaxle trailer and 4 axle Mack dump truck. I wouldn't pull that with a double axle trailer. You are way heavy on the hitch as the pic shows and you may want to curl the bucket up against the arm and lower the boom more. It appears you are traveling about about 1 foot higher than you need to be. I have a prolink thumb and hyd coupler and I am just under 40k. If you ran that over a scale I think you would find your overweight on the truck axle and putting an aweful lot of faith in the pintle hitch. A triaxle trailer would make it tow much better and get some weight off the hitch.

skyking1

Those are good, the dump truck has a Buyers with the air gate on it similar to that. No knocking like that loose pintle on the 1 ton.

As suggested by @KSSS above, you may not be knuckled in as tight as you can be.
When all is said and done, I climb up and drop a tape down so I know what I am running. My trailer has no deck between the deck frame rails, and I welded some channel in that the stick rests on, I get it lower that way.

Last edited:

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
That don't look good. Almost the entire excavator is forward of the front duals on the trailer. Run that over a CAT scale and at least know how your loaded.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Here is what mine looks like on a Triaxle.

Attachments

• PXL_20220430_214004708 (2).jpg
    PXL_20220430_214004708 (2).jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 30

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
State limits are the most important ones, as these will determine how much and if you can move within that state.

Again, there are two numbers you need to know, the maximum legal and maximum permitted weight.

When you know those two numbers, you'll have three ranges, for example for Texas, maximum legal weight on a tandem is 34,000 pounds and maximum permitted weight is 46,000 pounds. That is, you can load your tandem up to 34,000 without purchasing a permit, you can load 34,000..46,000 with a permit, and if your tandem is loaded over 46,000 you cannot legally enter the state of Texas

I googled this. Your State may have something different.

skyking1

Like I said, you're way forward. You need to have the tracks back over the rear axle on that trailer so at least flush with it.
@KSSS
I posted his limits up there above, he's in Georgia so he can run up to 40k on those two axles on the trailer. I'd get more weight over those axles and less on pintle.