• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Harvest in full swing:

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
I like those drives to the elevato(s) myself. Kinda peaceable but I do like to drive. The folks at the elevators are all very kind natured so a pleasure to visit with. In the really hot spells I drop them a bottle of cold Gatorade and they tend to remember the gesture.

Scenery around here is all farms and many harvesting operations running concurrent so a lot of movement in all corners. Everybody seem friendly, yet busy.

Got work lined up for next years harvest with my truck and grain trailer both. Two local to me farmers that would just as soon be rid of a couple of contract grain haulers have expressed interest to retain my services as they typically start their harvest as my cousin is finishing his. If we can make this come to fruition, it will be lucrative for all concerned. I may miss the first few days but that doesn't seem to be much of an issue.

colson04

OK, I'm done, except for a field of itch weed. Here is last corn pass, and big bin set up.

View attachment 297523View attachment 297524
Love the 5020. I don't know that I've ever seen one locally. I see what you mean about the hydraulic swing for the hopper. I need to call them and see if we can add that, and the right angle PTO option to our new unloading auger. The inline PTO we currently have puts the tractor right in the way of the trucks when unloading beans.

terex herder

The 5020 is substantially better as a PTO mule in this instance than the smaller New Generation tractors. The PTO clutch is on the left side, the injection pump is electric shut off, and the big inch engine has plenty of torque at idle to power a full auger. I put a manual throttle cable on the swing hopper next to the hydraulic valve. When a hopper is emptied, the tractor is returned to idle while the truck is repositioned to the other hopper.

The green you see hidden under the auger is a forklift I use as a counterweight for the auger. Windstorms have tipped over 4 of these augers in the last 15 years, it just took me this long to get smart. A chainfall ties the auger to the forklift. However, I haven't had a severe thunderstorm to test the counterweights since I started using them.

The right angle gearbox is actually from a Hutch/Mayrath auger that was blown over, but I think Westfield offer them now as well. The companies are both owned by AGI. Getting the tractor out of the way makes it much easier to dump.

Hvy 1ton, if malt barley is worse than milo I don't want anything to do with it.

colson04

The 5020 is substantially better as a PTO mule in this instance than the smaller New Generation tractors. The PTO clutch is on the left side, the injection pump is electric shut off, and the big inch engine has plenty of torque at idle to power a full auger. I put a manual throttle cable on the swing hopper next to the hydraulic valve. When a hopper is emptied, the tractor is returned to idle while the truck is repositioned to the other hopper.

The green you see hidden under the auger is a forklift I use as a counterweight for the auger. Windstorms have tipped over 4 of these augers in the last 15 years, it just took me this long to get smart. A chainfall ties the auger to the forklift. However, I haven't had a severe thunderstorm to test the counterweights since I started using them.

The right angle gearbox is actually from a Hutch/Mayrath auger that was blown over, but I think Westfield offer them now as well. The companies are both owned by AGI. Getting the tractor out of the way makes it much easier to dump.

Hvy 1ton, if malt barley is worse than milo I don't want anything to do with it.
We use a 4040 for PTO mule. It doesn't really fit our operation anywhere else other than sitting on an auger, but fits that niche pretty well. I can start everything while standing flat on the ground. Couldn't do that with any of our newer tractors.

How quickly can you switch from using the right angle PTO to inline PTO? The right angle setup would be great for filling our small bins with beans, but wouldn't work with our wet bin setup as the grain dryer is in the way.

56wrench

Haven’t seen any right angle drives around here, most bin yards are spread out enough to allow trailers to be backed alongside the tractor/auger. I had mine set up with an electric, remote powered swing auger that i could control from the cab of the truck as i was backing up. I kept a remote in each truck as well as one in the tractor. I also had a camera on the top of the auger to see if i was hitting the hole when positioning the auger, especially at night when changing bins. I had numerous 2200bu bins and the biggest was only 5000bu. A lot of the big guys around here have a leg and a complete handling system

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Just for something completely different - we're just starting harvest here in Western Australia. This video is from a large wheat/barley/canola farm in the Eastern Wheatbelt region of Western Australia, it's poles apart from your U.S. harvest.
Look up "Cascade, Western Australia" on your maps to see where he's located.

This year has been a total disappointment with a very poor level of rainfall right throughout much of the State. Some of the marginal Northern and Eastern-most farms will not even break even this year.

As a guide, the State produces around 20 million tonnes of grain in total (1 tonne - 2,204lbs). The last 4 years have been bumper years, with the 2022 crop being a State record, ending up with 25 million tonnes of grain produced for the year.
This year, the total is forecast to barely reach 15 million tonnes, and that is quite a bit below the average.

The farm this guy is operating on is probably around 15,000 to 20,000 hectares (1 hectare = 2.471 acres), and this is a common size farming operation in the Eastern and Northern broadacre farming areas of W.A.

You'll see the road train picking up the grain to haul it to the local grain collection centre (called "the bin" here). We use only end-tippers (end-dumps), no belly dumpers here, the end-tippers are more versatile.

You can calculate the gross load of the triple road train, we can get 16.5 tonnes (36,366lbs) on a tandem, and 20 tonnes (44,080lbs) on a tri-axle.
Airbags are popular, the authorities give you higher axle loadings for airbags here, they say they damage the roads less than steel springs.

You'll hear him talk about paddocks - that's fields to you guys in the U.S. and U.K. and Canada.
You'll also hear him talk about "utes" - that's "utility" vehicle here, or pickup as you know them in the U.S.

Auto-steer is nothing short of an amazing invention, it never existed when I farmed 40 years ago, but these young guys talk about how it's been around all their lives!

You'll notice the fire truck features big in our harvesting operations. Fires are quite frequent, usually starting from a seized bearing, and they have to be tackled promptly.

He's talking about the day being 37° - that's 37°C, about 98°F. We have days of extremely high fire danger (usually when it gets over about 40°C with a strong, hot Northerly wind) - and those days are declared "fire-ban" days.

On fire-ban days, everything stops in the paddocks, no-one is allowed into any paddock with any machinery or vehicles. This is to stop fires that might become uncontrollable otherwise.

The "seed terminators" on the rear of the harvesters crush and spread the weed seeds and straw to ensure that the weed seed bank is reduced, so a reduced level of weed spraying is the aim for the following year.

All the field silos are portable with fold-down wheels, so they can be transported from paddock to paddock with a vehicle or tractor, as required (only when empty, of course).
The chaser bins are all locally made, all the tractors and harvesters are fully imported from the U.S.

Last edited:

Truck Shop

Chaser bins---those are called bankout wagons here.
No fire ban days here in the fields--it's hot you keep cutting.

colson04

We use a 4040 for PTO mule. It doesn't really fit our operation anywhere else other than sitting on an auger, but fits that niche pretty well. I can start everything while standing flat on the ground.

How quickly can you convert from right angle PTO to inline PTO? Right angle wouldn't work with our setup when filling our wet bin.

Truck Shop

We use a 4040 for PTO mule. It doesn't really fit our operation anywhere else other than sitting on an auger, but fits that niche pretty well. I can start everything while standing flat on the ground.

How quickly can you convert from right angle PTO to inline PTO? Right angle wouldn't work with our setup when filling our wet bin.
A repost.

colson04

Haven’t seen any right angle drives around here, most bin yards are spread out enough to allow trailers to be backed alongside the tractor/auger. I had mine set up with an electric, remote powered swing auger that i could control from the cab of the truck as i was backing up. I kept a remote in each truck as well as one in the tractor. I also had a camera on the top of the auger to see if i was hitting the hole when positioning the auger, especially at night when changing bins. I had numerous 2200bu bins and the biggest was only 5000bu. A lot of the big guys around here have a leg and a complete handling system
Our bin site is fairly tight to access. It was setup back in the 1960's or early 1970's. When my grandpa bought the farm, this little bin site was not included in the sale, even though it adjoined a parcel he bought. A neighboring farmer bought it, and owned it until 2009 or so when he quit farming and sold it to us. It had two 15,000 bushel bins on it, and a large foundation where a bin sat, but had been removed before I was born in the 80's. We had the foundation inspected, and upon approval, had a brand new 50,000 bushel bin erected. We produce about 25,000 bushel of soybeans annually, and around 105,000 bushel of corn. We typically put up 20,000 bushel of high moisture corn for feed, fill our big bin, and then grain bank (future feed purposes through local elevator) or market the remainder of the corn as it comes out of the field.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
Running that auger with the 4020 is cumbersome with PTO engagement on one side and hydraulics on the other side of the hood.

terex herder

As far as switching out the right angle gear box, I've never done it. But it would be pretty easy. Gear box attaches with 4 bolts and a 8020 coupling chain. Put the inline PTO shaft on and you are good to go.

I was using some legacy bins and started a larger bin site on one side of the legacy bins. Then a tornado came through and removed the legacy bins, damaged one new bin, and laid 2 of the big pto augers on the ground. I wasn't very happy at the time, but in hind sight selling those 3 old bins to the insurance company wasn't a bad deal. They were both useless and useful, at 22,000 bushel, a bin that is filled in 6 hours isn't much value, but it still beat setting in line at the elevator for an hour.

hvy 1ton

How quickly can you switch from using the right angle PTO to inline PTO? The right angle setup would be great for filling our small bins with beans, but wouldn't work with our wet bin setup as the grain dryer is in the way.
Several companies make transfer conveyors that are either swing away or drive over. If you can't do everything with an integrated swing away, that's probably the way to go.

colson04

Several companies make transfer conveyors that are either swing away or drive over. If you can't do everything with an integrated swing away, that's probably the way to go.

I know. I brought that option up when a new unloading auger was being quoted. It was dismissed. Ultimately, it's not my money and I get paid hourly, even if it would save labor and my back.

@terex herder , how many acres do you farm and what kind of yields do you get? It would take us a good week to fill 22,000 bushel of soybeans. We could do that in a big day running good corn, but we rarely get to because of our dryer capacity.

Plebeian

In other parts of Australia there are bottom dump trailers. Lighter and simpler than walking floors. Also do not have to get the air hose out to clean-up compared to a double-B trailer end tipper.
Some places some B-double bottom dumps are rated to 104K pounds of material.
Pumpa Manufacturing, Swan Hill, Victoria

Crestmead, Queensland

Last edited: