• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Harvest in full swing:

colson04

When I grabbed the scale tickets yesterday after we stopped I meant to see what the other tractor and trailer weighed. She commented all her loads exceeded 1000 bushels and was overweight on the scales. I heard her say almost 82K with her last load as we were trying to beat the rain.

I was loading while she was running to the elevator. It was still dry while I loaded but started deluging upon me as I was exiting the field. The 3.6 mile trip to the elevator in a consistent downpour elevated the load from a consistent 14.6%, to 15.5% moisture content.
You guys don't run tarps?

We have one smaller dump truck we use that doesn't have a tarp. It doesn't get used much, and we don't load it when rain is imminent.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
We have tarps but seldom use them. I asked cousin if I should tarp and was told no as I was already rolling. Don't think I've seen a single manual tarp deployed this entire harvest. I've covered the loads when they sit overnight if rain was possible, but the second driver cannot deploy, or store a tarp as has bad shoulder(s).

1693TA

Occupation
Average weight on 40' steel two hopper and 3 axle tractor around here is 27,000. Normally net
53,000 legal hauling soft white. This summer I averaged 57,000 net on overloads out of the field.
That is pretty close what I'm seeing also judging by the an annunciation panels at the scales. Grain trailers must be balanced pretty well as I've not seen any tag, or drag axles on the ground unless an older farm truck with a dump box.

It's been years but I think my white R model Mack scales right at 22K with about 50 gallons of fuel because of the winch, head rack, and frame glove/fishplating. Heavy I know, but something to start and possibly prove a theory with.

1693TA

Occupation
We are getting back after it at 8:00am. Cousin picked about 10 acres yesterday afternoon and loaded my truck and the chase cart directly from the combine and said it was still very wet. However thinks it will be dryer through the overnight hours as there has been a pretty good breeze most of the day and night.

Eighty acres yet to go so hopefully a good long day today, or a late morning tomorrow to finish up.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Was cautioned by employer to close tarps whenever had load in trailer, DOT here seems picky for some and ignores others.

colson04

Well, we were able to harvest another 90 acres of beans between Tuesday and Wednesday and woke up to rain today. The beans shelled very well, but the moisture was high, around 17.5%. Not ideal, but we're forecasted rain the next 3 days, then a 3 day break, then more rain at end of next week. We took what we were given and made the most of it. We set up the dryer Monday and ran about 1400 bushel of the wettest beans through it yesterday. By late afternoon, the beans were around 15% so those just went into the bin. We still have 280acres of beans to harvest.

Also had a little breakdown while hauling a load to the bins yesterday morning. Not my proudest moment, but its fixed and ready to haul another load. 20231018_082958.jpg20231018_100413.jpg

colson04

While Bluey was getting fixed, we pulled out the new semi to keep things rolling.

2012 Freightliner Cascadia. 525 ISX, 10speed Eaton, 394,000 miles. Former rental truck from Star. Very clean truck. When Star sold it, they put new rubber all the way around, replaced drivers seat and other stuff before my uncle could take delivery. It's the nicest truck I've ever driven. Quiet, tight transmission, smooth ride. Tare weight 26,000 pounds. I'll be able to haul 900 bushel of beans, 950 bushel of corn legally.

20231018_162537.jpg20231018_163905.jpg20231018_163902.jpg20231018_162543.jpg

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
Here in SE Ohio, the silage chopping was pretty much finished a week ago. Bean harvesting started then, and is still in full swing. Rain tomorrow could likely stop that for a few days. Our neighbor, nor any of the other farmers around here, have started picking or shelling corn yet. Some fields look like they could be ready at any time. A lot of farmers here don't do beans, so I am thinking that those may start picking/shelling next week after the rains.

Old Doug

My sisters husband called me and my brother needing drivers yesterday afternoon around 5:00 . We both didnt have enough clean clothes so we did some laundry . I got to my brothers around 7:30 we arived at our sisters around 10:30. Its going to be a long day.

colson04

colson04 how did the yoke break? Bad ujoint?
Yoke broke first.

Colson04, foot slip off the clutch when starting fully loaded in the field?

Sorta. I made it out of the field, down the road to a 4 way stop and did the damage there. Intersection is uphill. I put truck in 1st instead of low, let off the brake and clutch too quickly to keep from rolling back and that was all she wrote. Thankfully, I was 1/4 mile from the tractor and grain cart. Walked back to the field, a neighbor stopped asking if I needed help. I said yep, and we proceeded to use the tractor to pull the truck through the intersection and to a local junk yard up the road where we could get off the road. Unhooked, drug dead mule out and put the Freightliner under. Away we went.

colson04

I feel for ya. When under pressure and a weather timeline, **** happens
Weather has been a killer for us this year. We started cutting beans 3 weeks ago. We got 3 good days in, then 2 weeks of rain. We were able to cut for 2 days this week, then it started rain Thursday and supposed to keep raining through tomorrow. We might be able to run some by Monday, but they changed forecast overnight and it's showing rain from Tuesday through Saturday next week again. We have 340 acres of beans done with 280acres left to go. A dry week and they could all be done. Then we have 800 acres of corn. Samples from early this week showed all our corn is over 26% moisture still. Once it gets under 25%, we can run our high moisture corn, but we aren't too keen on drying 25% corn for the bin yet.

Old Doug

Hauled corn till a little after midnight .I was tiered didnt sleep good the night before . I told my brother he could drive the newer truck with the automatic i thought maybe my arm would hurt today but i am ok.

1693TA

Occupation
Going back Thursday after both truck and trailer bringing back to my shop to do maintenance/upkeep/repairs to both units, along with sandblast all the wheels and repaint.

Spring packs for the trailer are less than $200.00 each and will replace all four and hardware. Really do like those new drive tires on the tractor as they seem to wear very well and are quite smooth in operation.

1693TA

Occupation
Dragged my trailer out of the shed and will probably get it back to the shop later in the week. The tarp is complete but has a couple of repairs from being older. Going to look to both electrify the hopper doors, and tarp operation(s) along with blast and repaint as not favorable to the current scheme.
20221202_150103.jpg
20221202_150206.jpg
20221202_150310.jpg
20221202_150112.jpg

Also have a little rust repair to do in the front from not being kept washed up on the insides.

56wrench

I used to have open-ended super ‘B’ trailers. I feel they are easier to clean the road salt/calcium out of than the closed end types no matter how well the ends are sealed up. The downside is more wind resistance with the open end style, plus they take a lot longer to do a good wash job