• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Happy (and apprehensive) new owner of 955L: Questions

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
So the filler on the RH side of your photo is the transmission filler.
The one on the LH side is for the steering clutch and bevel gear compartment.
You can confirm that if you follow the tubes below the fillers you'll see the one for the transmission goes pretty much straight down and the one for the bevel gear compartment cranks off at 45 deg and heads somewhat in the direction of the rear of the machine.

For the transmission in your climate the oil is an SAE10W that at least meets Cat TO-2 specification. You might not be able to find TO-2 but the newer TO-4 specification will work just as well.
You could also use a multigrade SAE10W/30 TO-4 oil that was not even invented when your tractor was built. The Cat oil is called TDTO-TMS but all oil companies make an equivalent. That oil covers an ambient temperature operating range of -20 to +40C.
https://www.petersoncat.com/sites/cat/files/downloads/Cat TDTO-TMS.pdf

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Is it possible that topping up the transmission oil will fix the problem?
Topping up the oil is what you should do as a start. The final level should be checked with the engine idling and the transmission in neutral.
I assume that you checked the transmission oil level the last time you used the machine.? When you last used it you didn't leave a pool of oil on the ground (or in the belly guard) by any chance did you.?

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
Your machine isn't by chance frozen to the ground is it? Parking up on rock or some pieces of firewood keeps it free when it's wet during freezing times. Then again I imagine it's all frozen up like a rock up there!
Cheers

Last edited:

jacr

So the filler on the RH side of your photo is the transmission filler.
The one on the LH side is for the steering clutch and bevel gear compartment.
You can confirm that if you follow the tubes below the fillers you'll see the one for the transmission goes pretty much straight down and the one for the bevel gear compartment cranks off at 45 deg and heads somewhat in the direction of the rear of the machine.

For the transmission in your climate the oil is an SAE10W that at least meets Cat TO-2 specification. You might not be able to find TO-2 but the newer TO-4 specification will work just as well.
You could also use a multigrade SAE10W/30 TO-4 oil that was not even invented when your tractor was built. The Cat oil is called TDTO-TMS but all oil companies make an equivalent. That oil covers an ambient temperature operating range of -20 to +40C.
https://www.petersoncat.com/sites/cat/files/downloads/Cat TDTO-TMS.pdf

My wife went into town with your message in hand... unfortunately the guys at the shop sent her home with 10W engine oil :(. After another trip into town I finally came home with some TO-2 spec oil.

It took almost 3 pails of oil (about 55L) to bring the level to correct on the dipstick with engine warm and transmission in neutral. But the manual says it only needs 34L!! Where did it all go? It's not pouring out the bottom. It looks like there may be a small leak but it's hard to see with snow melting off it too.

I was able to engage the transmission into both forward and reverse and plowed one track down the driveway (100m). But as I tried to reverse it wouldn't move again. I put both feet on the brakes and engaged a gear but when I removed the brakes it went nowhere. Sometimes it wouldn't stay in the selected gear - it just sprang back to neutral.

I was stuck across the bottom of the driveway blocking the access. As you can imagine my wife was less than thrilled! I turned off the machine to hear her "advice".

When I restarted the machine I played around with engaging gears and after many attempts I was able to start one track moving and then both of them. I reversed up the driveway and parked it out of the way before I got in any more trouble. I rechecked the oil and it's at the bottom of the dipstick. Again, I checked underneath and there's not exactly a flood of oil coming out. Maybe a small drip from one of the bolts at the back of the transmission. There was however quite a bit of oil under the floor compartment. I spilled a bit when filling but is it possible that oil is spraying up though the filler tube? The filler cap doesn't screw in very well.

I need to go and buy some more oil. But first I need to find out where it's leaking.

I agree that it's possible that the tracks are freezing to the ground. In the fall I removed the cover plates over the track adjusters (to check if there was adjustment left). The bolts were broken and a previous owner had tack-welded them on. I didn't get those back on before the snow arrived. Is it possible that the accumulated snow is freezing the tracks there too?

Thanks again

jacr

I rechecked the oil levels with the machine off (and cold). The transmission level is now below minimum on the dipstick and the bevel gear level is way up - almost up the entire fill tube.

jacr

It appears as though a transmission removal is in your future.
Yikes! That sounds like it's beyond my facilities, budget, and possibly my skill level!!!

I found a post on another forum that described similar problems. Their suggestions were...

"you may get away with just cleaning the steering suction screen. The seal in the back of the trans pump is facing the steering pump and if the screen gets clogged it can easily draw oil through it into the steering. The screen is under a plate with ontop of the steering clutch case beside the suction line for the steering pump"

"You usually get this problem when the seal on the input shaft of the steering booster pump fails,the steering pump is mounted on the front of the torque convertor housing,it is the pump with two external pipes attached to it,if the seal fails it sucks in oil from the transmissiom rather than from the back end,you will need to replace or repair the pump,drain the oil,clean the suction screen and fit a new filter."

Is this feasible?

Thanks again.

nicky 68a

Jacr,my wife is also abit ‘unsupportive’in my quest to acquire anymore ‘marriage ending heaps of sh#t’ (in her words)to my collection.
Years ago,I took the the advice of TC Tractors,and sold all the older D8’s and their baggage.
I’m still married……

leadfarmer

Well, I'm quite familiar with your fluid level problems.

Transmission oil is transferring to the bevel gear case. Sounds like yours is doing it at an alarming rate.

Mine was doing it at a decent rate, and it seems to be a common issue with worn out old 955s. I went and looked at a 955 for a friend two summers ago and it was doing the same thing.

Check out the last post in my thread here: https://www.heavyequipmentforums.co...d-from-transmission-to-bevel-gear-case.83596/

Some general knowledge: the 955L engine is coupled to the transmission via a shaft with flexible coupling. The transmission is directly coupled and bolted to the bevel gear case. The bevel gear case is your "rear differential" and contains your brakes and clutches. On each side of the bevel gear case are the final drives. The brakes are mechanically manipulated, the clutches have hydraulic boosters which are activated by the pedal linkage. So you have pressurized hydraulics in the transmission and in the bevel gear case.

From the view of sitting in the operator seat, the hydraulic pump is located on the front left upper area of the transmission. Going down the left side of the transmission you have the transmission screen and transmission filter. Behind and below those are the transmission pump and PIGGYBACKED on it is the steering clutch pump. This is where the problem lies.

The transmission pump drives the steering pump with a common shaft, and when things get worn the transmission pump will transfer fluid into the steering pump.

First you should remove, inspect, and clean the steering gear screen. It is located on top of the bevel gear housing, left side, low and behind the transmission. Not fun to deal with. If this is plugged up it could be increasing the transfer of fluid. Also, replace the steering clutch filter that is located directly under the seat on top of the bevel gear housing.

Also, replace the transmission filter and the clean the transmission screen.

Now, if you can slow that fluid transfer, you can do another trick I did for awhile. That would be manually moving the fluid from the gear case back to the transmission. I did this with a cordless drill driving a fluid transfer gear pump. Slide the suction hose down the filler tube for the bevel case and pump the fluid into the transmission. Go work the machine awhile, then repeat as needed. Mark the suction hose so it is inserted down the fill tube to the proper level. That way when it stops sucking the level is correct.

If you want to fix the problem, you're going to need to replace the transmission pump, maybe the steering pump, along with a bunch of o-rings and seals you will encounter. I went aftermarket on the transmission pump to save money and so far I have not regretted it.

Most likely, you will find your lack of transmission response is also solved when you replace the pump, as I did. Your transmission is dependent on hydraulic pressure to function properly. Mine was also sluggish or non-responsive at times.

You will need to drop the main pan under the transmission and work on this from above and from below. I've worked on a lot of stuff, and this was one of the hardest jobs I've ever tackled. The parts you're working on aren't big, but they are just insanely difficult to get to. I also removed a lot of lines that were leaking at connections and replaced seals to reduce leaks. You won't get them all, but you can get a lot of leaks fixed with just an o-ring or gasket. One of my major leaks was the transmission input shaft, so give that a close look. That repair was a bit more involved.

You will need the correct part book for your machine to look up seals and other parts.

The service manual will also be handy to have. Again, it needs to be the right one for your machine.

Regarding your stuff control lever, they should feel the same. A mechanical linkage joint is probably in need of attention. You can try spraying the connections with Kroil, but I replaced a lot of my rod ends and disassembled/cleaned/lubricated the pivot points.

Excess slop in the transmission linkage can also contribute to the machine not going into gear. Those pivot points and rod ends were in really bad shape on my machine and caused me some shifting issues. The pivot points on top of the transmission, one at the front of the top cover plate and one at the back, are critical and needed the most attention. If the front one has a lot of play in the shaft where it enters the top of the transmission, I "fixed" this by welding a heavy washer to the top of the housing around the shaft to hold it in place, as replacing the internal bushing is next level.

So with the floor pans removed, move the linkage around and see what has slop. Your service manual will give linkage adjustment measurements too.

Add this to your maintenance to do list too: adjust the pedal linkage and brakes per the manual. This will make sure your clutches and brakes are working as intended.

I was in your exact same shoes not long ago, in terms of knowledge and experience. Between forums and the manuals I got it done. My 955L has thrown other repair challenges at me, this past fall was really interesting, but the machine lives on. And my significant other is getting her dream horse farm built slowly but surely.

Last edited: