• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hancock Elevating Pull-Type Scraper

Rebenergy

hello td25c; I just joined the form after doing an Internet search on Allis Chalmers TL12 and TL14. I started browsing and found your post about the Hancock scrapers. I bought one a few years ago and had plans to pull it with my D2 crawler. the serial number on mine reads (N45 1364). I too am curious about the numbers meetings. I would like to know the age of my machine and the volume of material it could hold? I was told that mine was an 8 yard scraper, but I never was sure if I believe that. like I say I am new to this forum and will try to post a photo of my machine, wish me luck.

kb9tci

Boy, that looks familiar! Welcome to the forum!! Have you had the opportunity to use it much?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Rebenergy

no I have never used it. I used to own a small housing development and had plan to landscape but was offered a reasonable selling price for the development. I took the money and now the scraper just sits on the farm. I actually join the forum because I recently purchased a TL 14 Allice Chalmers and have owned a TL 12 for some time now.I ran across this forum as I was looking for information manuals on the TL 14. I was surprised to see a post about Hancock scrapers, which brings me to our conversation. I am interested in selling my Hancock as I have no need to landscape anymore. If any of the members have solid ideas on what these scrapers are worth I would sure appreciate the information. I will probably advertise it locally in the paper.

kb9tci

I am thinking mine may have a price tag hanging on it this summer as well. I have it all fixed up and working with good rubber and hydraulics, but I don't think I'll be using it much since I've got a track loader and dump truck.

I'm not sure what I'm going to ask for it. I've seen a few sell on internet auction for a lot more than what I'd expected.

Here's an example of one in rough shape that sold a few years ago: http://www.purplewave.com/cgi-bin/mnlist.cgi?110510A/6441

Here's a nice one http://www.tractorshed.com/contents/adpic52444.htm

Last edited:

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I pulled it home - most of the way. I ended up blowing one of the airplane tires that had about 10 layers of cords showing, about a mile from home. That was a story in itself... Needless to say, after the farm tire man could not get the bead loose, I pulled it home anyway.

I am curious about your old airplane tire and how you got it changed. I had worn out 28" 24 ply airplane tires on a early C4 Treefarmer log skidder. I ran them flat for two years trying to break the bead. They did not even squish unless I had a big jag of trees behind. When they got pretty well busted down I split the two piece wheels to find out that the airplane tire beads go all the way to the center of the rim nearly touching each other. No wonder the tire valve was right in the middle and the bead would never break down.

kb9tci

I am curious about your old airplane tire and how you got it changed. I had worn out 28" 24 ply airplane tires on a early C4 Treefarmer log skidder. I ran them flat for two years trying to break the bead. They did not even squish unless I had a big jag of trees behind. When they got pretty well busted down I split the two piece wheels to find out that the airplane tire beads go all the way to the center of the rim nearly touching each other. No wonder the tire valve was right in the middle and the bead would never break down.

That was a treat. I should have taken a picture or two of that fiasco.

I ordered the "new" tire from an outfit in Alabama. When it came in it was already buffed to fit a lock-ring rim, so that was going to make things a little easier. I called our tire man to come out where I had it parked when it blew. He monkeyed with it for about an hour and did nothing but lift his service truck off the ground trying to push on the ring with the crane.

I went over there to meet him after he called and told me he gave up. I asked him to follow me home to see if it would work itself loose a bit in the 2-3 mile journey. I pulled it with my truck as fast as I could stand to pull it to see if I could walk it loose. Nothing crazy fast, but it sure felt like that tire should have flown off!

I did not want to go down the highway, so we stopped to look. The only thing that I had accomplished with that was rattling my teeth loose and got the tire smoking hot. I had one last stretch though the field to get it to the farm, so he me me at the farm to drop off the tire off the back of his truck. I offered to buy him lunch for his troubles, but before we headed out, our curiosity and inability to accept defeat got the better of us...

I was still hooked to it with the truck, so he hooked to it with his crane as well to brace it while I positioned the backhoe to push the tire off the bead with the teeth of the bucket. He spotted me and I slipped a few teeth behind the bead and used the extend-a-hoe to push against the tire. Well, it kind of worked. I was more successful in pushing my truck sideways about 4' and lifted half of his truck off the ground, but the rings started to move as the rusty bead started to move.

As the rings started to come loose by means of a BFH and tire tools, we started to get excited. Prematurely. The rings finally came out, so I hooked the outer bead with the hoe bucket teeth and pulled on it while he took his hydraulic bead breaker to the back side. It was about all his bead breaker could do, but it came off the back bead after quite a few attempts.

Now, the easy part. Or not. The tire should slide right off, right? Not exactly. By the time I gave up, I had my truck drug the other direction and had his truck on the other two wheels. The tire was not coming off.

The tire man did not think my next idea would work, so I had to try it. I unhooked the hoe, he moved his truck, and I took off with the scraper with my truck to the field. I made about a dozen circles in one direction and almost a dozen in the other to see the tire take off down the field free from the rim!

That was half the battle.

The rim is sized for a 20" tire and I would guess about 14" wide. It had 16" wide bias tires, but I found a 17.5" wide radial that was the same height. That does not sound bad, but I swear the bead on each side of the tire was 3" thick! We slid the tire with the tube and boot on the rim after he shined it all up, but it was far from where it needed to be to get those rings in.

Out comes the backhoe again. He was able to push on the sidewall far enough for him to slip the rings back in with his boom as I braced the other side with the bucket. At least that took a lot less effort to do, and nothing else came off the ground or slid sideways!

I still bought him lunch!

seaweed

no I have never used it. I used to own a small housing development and had plan to landscape but was offered a reasonable selling price for the development. I took the money and now the scraper just sits on the farm. I actually join the forum because I recently purchased a TL 14 Allice Chalmers and have owned a TL 12 for some time now.I ran across this forum as I was looking for information manuals on the TL 14. I was surprised to see a post about Hancock scrapers, which brings me to our conversation. I am interested in selling my Hancock as I have no need to landscape anymore. If any of the members have solid ideas on what these scrapers are worth I would sure appreciate the information. I will probably advertise it locally in the paper.

Hi I would like to buy your scraper. can you contact me with more information . Thanks Ray

Rebenergy

hi seaweed. What kind of information are you looking for? I have taken some photos and can post them if the group doesn't mind. I see your location is in Maryland and that it's a long way from South Dakota. After reading the posts about tire problems and changing tires makes me think a person wouldn't want to pull it back to Maryland. :) I will attempt to post some photos.

kb9tci

I think my new tire is rated for 225mph and I'm closer!!

Let's see some pics, Rebenergy!

Rebenergy

I will go take close-ups of all the tires later this eveningand get them posted tomorrow. They are in fairly good shape for their age.

kb9tci

The Cat still under the weather, so we decided to get the scraper out and give it a shot in digging out the walkout. It was doing a pretty slick job for an old fart. It gave the old Oliver a workout for sure. I was doing pretty good until I ripped the tube in the new tire :eek:

4KZW87XAJeiRHH1_LF94yeKm90DfSJ4tUvK8c-9qKa0.jpg
ZjLe70dOs0J8nqwKhwKjlegLc2pcA1Cts3UeR63Qjd4-1.jpg
NNd9LGNvtMxBGE3tYmN97C0JkQ0CcRjbtvDrmPpfIiA.jpg
isemOubWpK2CsWG7v2qAEt0dyvu3KSJwanVf50KV_Rw.jpg
HU6sIIrO5Tqs3_gdI1IpLqAf96RPohpjuXbJ8pYcvig.jpg

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Good pics! I Like the Oliver. When I was a kid a million years ago I ran one (2wd) raking hay. It was a big step up from the old hard to turn John Deere B I started on.