• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Guy's help me pick out a good farm size track loader with 4-1 and teeth

BCOWANWHEELS

Occupation
semi retired and angus cattle farmer
Looks like loader 101 has got to be learnned. Just when you think schooling os over you realize its never over. I just want a good machine that has had maint. Done reguarly. Its hard to find a used machine thats spec'd the way you want it exactly. What about rippers on the rear think there needed. I have a new 120x120 shop going up soon and i need to cut the top of a hill off to get a good level spot and make a access road about 1/2 to 3/4 mile long

denver m farms

Occupation
Farmer/cattle buyer/ construction/excavating
No i don't think rippers are needed but they are something you would use every little while. At first when you started this and said you were working on your farm i never thought about you wanting to spend the money for something as late model as a 605 or a later model 953 but that's great,A 953c is about the best machine i have ever ran and i have been on about every track loader there is.You are also right about cat beeing the way to go they are. And yes a track loader is for sure what you need.

BCOWANWHEELS

Occupation
I,d guess the first year i owned a machine 200-300 hrs then after that no more than 100 hrs a year max. I have a good barn to store it in when not in use . I,d like to keep a machine under 40k as i can write it off my taxes. But mostly 40k wont take long to spend if you hire the work out on a 250 acre farm. Its been neglected by previous owner for 40 yrs.
Plus i just like to get out and work...... Thanks again

charles walton

I liked the B model best and I have operated all of them made from 84 till about 2002.you can also find 963's very reasonable these days,they are nice big machines if you have any big trees or heavy excavation to do they'll make it a breeze.I currently have an old 955L with the D-6 size tracks that suits me fine for what I am doing but I would like to have another good 963.

BCOWANWHEELS

Occupation
Charles is the 963 a "b" model also and mechanical f.i. Its a 3116 engine right with a turbo ?

charles walton

The 963 comes in B and C and the earlier ones were just plain 963 you can tell the year by the serial number.The C model in both the 53 and 63 were electronic.The 963 made before the B had a 3304 and the 3116 started with the B model the earlier 53 had 3204 and used the 3116 starting with the B model.I know where a 953b with 6600 hours is here in Ga,asking 42k and they have a 63b for 47k I haven't seen them in person but they have cab with air and look strait in the pictures.

JBGASH

Occupation
Plumbing & Excavation Contractor / farmer
I hsve a 953C that is a turbo and has a 3116 engine. It has been excellent with no problems at all, has 5900 hrs now and will need a new undercarriage in the near future. It has many electric / hydraulic controls but they have not caused any trouble yet. I keep it shedded always when not in use to hopefully avoid some maint. issues with it. It is easily moved with a 2 axle lowboy also. It also is a quick attach of which we have a dozer blade and set of heavy duty forks that we put on it in addition to the bucket. You will be pleased with a Cat whether it a 53 or 63 both will do a ton of work in a day.

charles walton

That's the same place I was talking about.I have owned a 4n1 bucket tractor and it was ok but they give trouble when you get a lot of hours on them,but if its tight when you buy it you'll be ok no more than you'll be using it.There are not a lot of 4n1 buckets on 53 and 63 in this area but I think I saw some at a dealer in N.Carolina.Where is Kingsport in relation to Atlanta?

charles walton

I hsve a 953C that is a turbo and has a 3116 engine. It has been excellent with no problems at all, has 5900 hrs now and will need a new undercarriage in the near future. It has many electric / hydraulic controls but they have not caused any trouble yet. I keep it shedded always when not in use to hopefully avoid some maint. issues with it. It is easily moved with a 2 axle lowboy also. It also is a quick attach of which we have a dozer blade and set of heavy duty forks that we put on it in addition to the bucket. You will be pleased with a Cat whether it a 53 or 63 both will do a ton of work in a day.
You must have a later model,alot of the first c's gave trouble thats why you can buy them cheaper than a B often.They are nice tractors as long as they're working right.I think they got most of the bugs out by 02 or 03 and now days they're D models.You probably won't find a good C for 40k.

denver m farms

Occupation
Farmer/cattle buyer/ construction/excavating
I would not be affraid of a 953c, atleast i have never had or anyone i know that has one has had any big problems with one, Now i have heard of some problems with the very early c models on 953s like 96 and 97 models but you will probably be looking at newer than that anyway. If you see a machine with system one u/c that is a big plus in my opinion the quick way to tell is if the idler is narrow and just touches the bushings.

BCOWANWHEELS

Occupation
when you say "will need a new undercarriage in the near future" what do you do, remove your complete bottom and exchange it at cat ? or do you just strip yours down to the frame and bring everything back up to new spec's.

JBGASH

Occupation
We will replace all track shoes, both rails (chains), all lower rollers, both top rollers, sprocket segments, front large rollers, all bolts, check both track tensioners for proper operation and repair as needed. The material cost for these parts from Heavyquip was appox. $11,000.00 if we had them do it the labor was appox. $2000. I am also going to get a bid from Cat for comparison.
when you say "will need a new undercarriage in the near future" what do you do, remove your complete bottom and exchange it at cat ? or do you just strip yours down to the frame and bring everything back up to new spec's.

BCOWANWHEELS

Occupation
I'd make sure if you dont go genuine cat that the aftermarket parts are made in U.S.A. because in the import parts the steel is inferior. would you take them your machine or just the undercarrage to reman it ? is there any machne work needs to be done when you do this or is it just swapping out parts ? also your old parts do you have to trade them back in as cores ?

JBGASH

Occupation
If Heavyquip or myself does the job, they will come to my shop if I go with Cat I will take it to them. There is no machine work to do, just swap out the parts. And all old parts will be taken to the salvage yard by me.
I'd make sure if you dont go genuine cat that the aftermarket parts are made in U.S.A. because in the import parts the steel is inferior. would you take them your machine or just the undercarrage to reman it ? is there any machne work needs to be done when you do this or is it just swapping out parts ? also your old parts do you have to trade them back in as cores ?

BCOWANWHEELS

Occupation
got it. been on youtube looking at undercarrage rebuilding, other than its heavy work and takes big equipment to do it seems simple enough. when you say you take your old parts to salvage yard do you mean scrap steel yard or component rebuilders. i see they rebuild about every component on machines... and hooray i learned what a grouser is !!!!!! I,am getting there. i have most of whats necessary to do a u/c rebuild i feel including a over head crane.
bob

Dickjr.

I know a fellow that has a 43 and 53B for sale right now. And no I won't get a penny out of it but pm me if interested and I'll give you his info.