• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Grove TM225T Boom Disasembly

Renco

Has anyone disassembled a Grove TM225t boom or have any illustrations to do so?
I need to swap out my base section and can't find anything in my manuals .
Its an old crane, but runs and drive great.
Any help would be appreciated

td25c

Sounds like a big task .

I have the TM 250 T model . Little newer version of the 225 . My manual dose not show the procedure for removing the boom sections . It gives instruction on removing the cylinders & wear pads .

What I call the base section is main part of the boom that contains the mid & fly sections .

My first thought was pull all the cylinders and remove each section at a time until you get down to the base section ?

But looking at my manual it may be possible to leave the mid & fly sections together & take them out in one piece ?

Never had to do this so I am also curious .

You will need another crane or fork lift to help with the job .

The TM 225 boom is similar to the TM 250 with a few changes . The 225 has the rollers on the bottom of the boom sections where the TM 250 uses the poly wear pads . Little different extension cylinder arrangement on the mid section .

TM 225
http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=9775687

TM 250
http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=6409517

Few photos on this thread removing cylinders from a TM 250
https://www.heavyequipmentforums.co...A-Boom-Removal&p=215844&viewfull=1#post215844

What is the issue with the base section on your TM 225 T ?

Renco

Thanks for a quick response.
The base section has a collapse at the gusset plates where to two lift cylinders attach.
I am looking to either repair or replace this section
IMG_6108.jpg

td25c

Wow !

I figured you had some form of damage .

I imagine it would be pretty tough finding a replacement base section .

I don't have any service manuals for the 225 . I'm sure there are similarities between it and the TM 250 crane . Looks like you will be totally disassembling the boom . My cylinders remove from the rear . Hopefully the mid & fly sections are not damaged .

I would figure on getting another crane to lift the boom off the machine & get it on the ground for disassembly .

Good welder or fabrication shop could probably fix it .

That area is one difference I noticed between the 225 and 250 cranes . The 250 has outer pin bosses and the gusset's are a little different .

Can see them if you look close at some of the photos on the 250 I posted on machinery trader . That also might be a slim chance that you could upgrade to a 250 boom assembly ? I just don't Know ? The two machines are similar with some design changes . Might be something to look in to .

http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=6409517

Knepptune

I sure hope that wrinkle did not tweak the inner sections of boom

Yep. Looks fairly serious.

Take the cylinder and hoses loose from the back of the boom. Pull the wear pads out of the front and slide the outer two sections out together. If the boom was full retracted when the accident happened that boom will have to be taken apart with a torch.

Renco

The sections were extended when this happened. We did not pull them back in fully, so as to not cause more damage.
I think the damage may be isolated to the base gussets, unless the internal cylinder was affected. The end of the base tube stops just before the failure.
I was hoping someone had pictures or diagrams to aid in the work?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Damage like that would seem to indicate shock loading. I would think you would be required to have third party inspection of all the components before reassembling the machine and putting it back to work again.

td25c

Yeah Renco , This is about the best diagram I would have showing the boom assembly on the TM 250 Grove . Similar to your TM225 boom . Do you have the service manual for the 225 ?

Attachments

• boom diagram 001.jpg
    boom diagram 001.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 390

Renco

It was just a slow steady pull when this happened. But you may be right about the inspection. I'll look into that.

td25c

Yeah , hopefully the damage is limited to the base section only and the mid sections & cylinder are ok .

Be nice if you could find a used base section . I'm just not sure where to look ?

Grove is pretty good servicing older units . I get parts from http://www.wppecrane.com/ I just wonder if they might be able to help locate a used base section ?
Looks like Stephenson Equipment is the Grove dealer in your area .
http://stephensonequipment.com/
We are getting a lot of rain this afternoon & supposed to change over to snow this evening :(.

Last edited:

dbl612

Occupation
crane operator
Yeah , hopefully the damage is limited to the base section only and the mid sections & cylinder are ok .

Be nice if you could find a used base section . I'm just not sure where to look ?

Grove is pretty good servicing older units . I get parts from http://www.wppecrane.com/ I just wonder if they might be able to help locate a used base section ?
Looks like Stephenson Equipment is the Grove dealer in your area .
http://stephensonequipment.com/
We are getting a lot of rain this afternoon & supposed to change over to snow this evening :(.
shipping plates were always a weak point with that model with rear tilted boom cylinders. after that model the shipping points were moved forward with longer cylinders for better mechanical advantage. doubt if there is base section damage other than shipping plates. can be repaired and line bored. might be able to get a base section for less than cost of all the work. that would eliminate net of welds and third party costs.

td25c

Yeah dbl612 , the rear tilt boom cylinder arrangement was pretty common on the early hydro cranes . When they went to the forward mount system it also allowed for a lower profile boom mount & single boom lift cylinder possibilities . I'm sure early engineers debated the options .

What Renco has is what I call a first generation Grove truck crane . Probably mid 1960's machine with 80 ' boom .Dang.... It's almost 50 years old :) Then about 1968 Grove introduced the TM 250 . Still had the rear tilt boom cylinder set up with optional 92' boom . Also had extra reinforcement around the lift cylinder pin area on the boom .
If Renco decides to repair his boom he might want to copy what Grove did with the TM 250 .

It would have been cool to work for a company like Grove back in the early days designing boom & superstructure , then building prototype , and some lucky feller got to go out back in the yard and test pilot the new rig running it through and beyond the load chart . :D

If you scroll down to the bottom page on this TM 425 brochure they also show the 3 models offered at the time , a 15 , 25 , and 45 ton hydro truck cranes . I'm guessing this is dated maybe 1965 or 66 ?

http://www.manitowoccranes.com/~/me...rrent Product Files/TM425/TM425T-Brochure.pdf

Attachments

• boom%20diagram%20001[1].jpg
    boom%20diagram%20001[1].jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 202

Operator22

Just came across the picture of the tm225t with the damaged base section I have a 1967 Grove tm225t that we started to refurbish in 2009 but never finished Great old machine Would be too good to part out Carrier sheet-metal like new stainless, updated 46,000 pound rear ends rebuilt boom hoist cylinders, rebuild hydraulic pump in-line 671 Detroit, 68 mph highway speed fuller 9513 double overdrive transmission radial Drive and steer tire tires.

Operator22

Just came across the picture of the tm225t with the damaged base section I have a 1967 Grove tm225t that we started to refurbish in 2009 but never finished Great old machine Would be too good to part out Carrier sheet-metal like new stainless, updated 46,000 pound rear ends rebuilt boom hoist cylinders, rebuild hydraulic pump in-line 671 Detroit, 68 mph highway speed fuller 9513 double overdrive transmission radial Drive and steer tire tires.