• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Grizzly Trucks

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
Finished the cooling system off yesterday just as the rain started falling..I made a new support brkt for the cross over pipe..I should have trimmed the lower edge but was rushing to beat the rain and forgot..
Plate is 3/16 aluminum.I just painted it to stop it from going fuzzy.You can see in the pic the new A/C compressor,the crank trigger system for my tach and the barring tool on the balancer..
System is full again and the truck can be started..Tomorrow I think I will start on the new e-brake system..

grizzly 003 (142).JPG

diamondtguy

Occupation
I ran the A/C lines yesterday.They run under the cab then up between the back of the cab and the tool box.Then across the roof to the A/C unit.Connections are on the drivers side.Ready to get my friend to put the last two fittings on and charge the system..We had to put in line charge line fittings in it as there is no room behind the compressor.My friend knows what I am like and got me a rather large made in USA Compressor that apparently is much longer than the norm...Fittings are located where it can be serviced with the fender on but I will forgo that till we have leak tested it and finished...

My cables don't work for the e-brake system so I will order one from the manufacturer of the kit..I am also considering relocating the handle to left side of the driver on the floor..The stock handle is very hard to reach and I doubt you could get to it with the shoulder belt on..Manufacture of the kit make a nice little tunnel style one and it would be easy to use,out of the way and pretty obvious it was on when you got in the truck....

Grizzly 001 (162).JPG Grizzly 002 (168).JPG Grizzly 003 (144).JPG

diamondtguy

Occupation
Weather is good today so I plugged the truck in for a few hours as it hasn't run for a few months..I wanted to put it out on the driveway and let it run for a while..I pressure tested the cooling system but wanted to run it up anyways.A/C guy cant make it tell next week end and I didn't want any surprises....and I got one..
I was watching it run (fender is still off) and noticed the belt is running off the compressor pulley.I thought maybe I didn't get it on right..Fixed it and fired it up only to watch it jump again..Apon closer inspection the compressor is to far forward by about 3/16...My A/C guy hasn't a fricken clue whats wrong.He has only seen this once in 20 years...
I managed to sneak the compressor out with out moving or draining any thing..I have a call into a friend who has two compressors off of Cummins 12V's and he will measure them for me..
Glad I left the fender off...Never would have seen this with it on...

Grizzly 001.JPG

diamondtguy

Occupation
Finally got the right compressor today...I ended up having to look up the part number for a compressor for a 93 Dodge/Cummins...The bolt pattern is std but the length is unique for the Cummins brkt or a deal Dodge has/had with Nippon Denso the original supplier..
Hope to get it charged up on Sat.....

grizzly 001.JPG

Will_M

First batch of parts is back from powder coating, what a difference. The shop nailed it as far as texture and gloss are concerned.

I have the front axle off of the truck and mostly disassembled. Cleaning and painting that will be the next step then I’ll take it in for overhaul.9F640541-49A8-4F7C-BF92-E9EE3EF145D8.jpegC231A157-93C6-4DE0-AD62-B7A401DF3135.jpegC2EAE558-4F6A-4D43-9BEF-E690FB28C4CB.jpeg73ACACC2-881B-4D1A-A3B3-FEEF33FB2BCC.jpeg

diamondtguy

Occupation
Looks great Will....I have never seen textured powder coating before....I am still waiting for my A/C guy to come back and charge the system...

diamondtguy

Occupation
Not much going on here....Andy came by today and hooked up my compressor...He was in between calls...Should be back tomorrow to finish the lines.This compressor is much shorter so the lines have no issues with the engine mount.
Grizzly 001.JPG Grizzly 002.JPG

diamondtguy

Occupation
So most of you know I have some other toys...I have a couple of early Mustangs that are pretty cool builds..I keep my 67 a mile away in a friends 40x50 shop.It is free and it was there Idea so I have more working room..
A week and a half ago I get a call at 9pm (fri night)To get my ass up there as the shop is on fire..It takes 5min to get there and the shop is just a inferno.The building is concrete but the roof is wood..Shop is surrounded by forrest...We get there and the fire is so hot it has blown holes in the concrete.The roof has collapsed.It had a gas shop furnace in the building when the roof came down it breached the gas line..Building has lots of toys in it..We watched for a hour and I was told everything in the shop is destroyed...Home I go and grab the whiskey bottle...
You can see how bad the fire was and the fire dept isn't there yet..I am in the outskirts of town.Fire Hall is between my house and the fire but it is not a manned station....
storage.png codys shop.jpg

diamondtguy

Occupation
I get a phone call at 11..They finally figured out there is a 3rd concrete wall and the two cars might be OK....I hear nothing till a truck shows(4pm) up the next day with my 67...When the main shop roof fell they started pouring water and retardant onto the remaining roof.Some of it leaked in and kept the room damp and the temp down (that side has a fire door on it) the fire door was closed and my (red) carcover(wet) kept my car safe..My cover is damaged and I have a few spots on my trunk lid where the pigment in the paint darkened...Corvette has some very minor damage...
Cody who is 6'8" pushed that boat out on his own across that road base.You can see the starboard side was on fire..He was visibly upset when I got there and being attended to by the EM's..

This is what the found the next day when they pried the doors open...I will let you guys CSI the pictures....

So I just realized it is not a concrete wall after all..I see light through it...I am luckier than I thought...

thumbnail_IMG_0230.jpg thumbnail_IMG_9244.jpg

diamondtguy

Occupation
The building is destroyed..Lost...fully restored early 70's econoline in 70's early 80's style with a 5.0 5spd in it,Harley touring bike,3 quads,side by side.Spare pro gas body and rear wing plus all the tools and equipment...Cody was in the shop when it started.Main thing is he is ok..
Fire started from a battery tender or charger
remains.jpg

diamondtguy

Occupation
Yes....I would have been upset...The build was a lot of work..Finding all the decals and vintage Holman Moody stuff took a while.Along with all the other rare and period correct parts Car is pretty correct...Even found some NOS Westwood racetrack decals..I used to ride my pedal bike up the hill to Westwood and watch the cars in the late 60's and 70's..You could here the cars from our house.....
Cody wasn't hurt and that's what matters...I told him I look forward to storing my car in his new shop next year...He just laughed....
Before anybody asks.....Yes my car was fully insured...

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Wow, lucky is an understatement! That is my biggest fear is fire in the shop. As with you I have insane amounts of Blood Sweat tears and money in my shop. That is any man's worst nightmare. Good luck on you guys getting everything cleaned up and a new shop set up for him he sounds like one hell of a guy.