• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Grizzly Trucks

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
Merry Christmas to everyone here.May we all have a good 2020....
For no particular reason the Grizzly has just been sitting in the tent.I have been battling pneumonia for the last month and just drive my 95 F-150 as it heats up in half the time...I did pull the truck out last week and warm it up and took it for a long drive on Christmas day.It was a nice day and I got the usual thumbs up,flashing lights and WTF stares....Its all good..
When the weather warms up I'll finish my A/C and put the new driveline brake on it..

Will_M

Merry Christmas to everyone here.May we all have a good 2020....
For no particular reason the Grizzly has just been sitting in the tent.I have been battling pneumonia for the last month and just drive my 95 F-150 as it heats up in half the time...I did pull the truck out last week and warm it up and took it for a long drive on Christmas day.It was a nice day and I got the usual thumbs up,flashing lights and WTF stares....Its all good..
When the weather warms up I'll finish my A/C and put the new driveline brake on it..

Merry Christmas to you as well and all the best to you in 2020.
Alberta weather hasn’t been very cooperative for working on my truck but I just got a tent of my own put up. Plan is to move the truck under cover next week then at least I can work on it out of the weather and not have to worry about snow getting in to what I’m working on.
I can’t wait for warmer weather so I can get back to cleaning and painting underneath, I’m hoping to start taking fenders off shortly so I can start fixing rust in the shop until I can then.

HDX

The new cab on the roof is one of these maybe diamondtguy, Maybe not the holy Grail of Grizzly cabs. Looking at it from over here I am thinking maybe a Ursadea cab Hope not for your sake because I know what a new cab just sitting there will do to a normal human being

diamondtguy

Occupation
Wow...I totally missed that one.I went back and looked at the pics and I believe you are correct..I stay in contact with them and will be going to see the stuff as soon as the owner is healthy again...

diamondtguy

Occupation
Got this today on F/book today ...Eric Reiss did a stop frame pic while watching one of the episodes of Rust Valley Resto.So here's a pic of Avery's truck that apparently was built out of left over pcs.Can't explain why they are all different colors....
Interesting that it has a grab handle on the front of the hood.My truck had one when new and at some point they pulled it off and welded up the holes.As the hood is .125 steel(read fricken heavy) it is a not fun to open by your self.A few owners of Grizzly's have hade aluminum hoods made...Maybe Avery's truck has one...I will probably get one built next year..

Averys truck.jpg

diamondtguy

Occupation
Don't know if you caught the last episode of Rust Valley Resto but there was a few shots of Avery's truck.Clearly shows a Hayes bear hood ornament.

Will_M

7DBC7644-FBEF-4252-BA3F-F6EC1251729D.jpeg D6DFE5FF-2DCB-49E4-B8DE-FFB18630E531.jpeg 1DB46119-3EF8-4A75-AED6-76E4D3B0A305.jpeg I got the passenger side fender off and stripped down. It had the same rubber coating as the cab floors but anywhere it lost its stick, it became a rust trap. It turns out the trick to removing the rubber coating is to use a woodworking chisel and rubber mallet, peeled it right off.
I’m not sure if I’ll be able to salvage it yet or if it’ll be better to just use it as a template to make a new one. I’ll take it in the the welder this week and see what he thinks.

diamondtguy

Occupation
There not as bad as I thought they would be....I have drawings here for the fenders and headlight boxes but mine are a little bit different...All the trucks built after mine have the eyebrow over the headlights,my headlight boxes were bolted on and the mounts on the front are a little different..
Your fenders are probably 10 or 11ga so if some one can form the pcs for you it shouldn't be a problem..

You can see on mine I had the little flare formed into mine..Yours I see were bolted on.Are they stainless or aluminum???..My truck just had a 90deg return on the outside of the fender when built.

Nothing like a inside job to keep you warm and busy...new fenders 001 (3).JPG

Will_M

The original flares were stainless. I’d like to get an edge put on them like what you have, they look good and the fewer holes in the metal the better!
The steel on my fender is quite thick, hopefully the welder will be able to work with it. If he sounds confident I’ll sandblast it before we start on the repair so we know for sure what we’re working with.7A957B25-4E3D-44E4-B436-6EEB8F38DA89.png

diamondtguy

Occupation
Yes....formed edge would look better.I just added a 45deg bend and then a return for the finished look...I ended up using the return to bolt the rubber "rub a fender" to as my tire/wheel choice required a little more coverage..

I also never reinstalled the light/reflector that they put under the headlight..Just didn't look right to me..
I actually prefer your style of headlight box with the eyebrow but chose not to change some of the unique (doesn't mean good) features of the first one built.

Will_M

I talked to the welder this morning, he figures the best option is to cut the headlight boxes off the old fenders then just make new fenders to match. He didn’t think it would be a problem to put a formed edge on them like the one you have. I’ll be dropping the fenders off with him to get going on it at the end of the month.

It’s funny you mention the light under the headlight, I was thinking it didn’t look right either so I was planning on doing away with them. I stopped at Kenworth this morning, picked up new headlight assemblies and signal lights so I should have all the parts needed to put the fenders back together once they are built/powder coated.

diamondtguy

Occupation
A little story...Took the truck to the job site yesterday.Its about 20 miles each way.I came home on the Lougheed hwy then got on to Golden ears hwy then to Abernathy Way.I was in 4th gear closing in on the first intersection and slowing down,stood on the brake pedal and it went to the floor.I thought f**k and tried it again.No pedal and cars coming up quick.Checked my mirrors and got in the soon to end right lane.As soon as I cleared the intersection I geared down and shut the truck off..
I sat and thought about it for a minute.I didn't smell any fluid leaks and my steering was fine (I have a hydra booster).There were no early warning signs..Light bulb came on in my head so I checked under the dash..The pushrod had some how come off the brake pedal..Its a tight fit but I got it back on..
Got the truck back home and put a new clip on the rod..
It could have ended badly but I had a clean escape route and was back on the road in 5 min.

Cheers.....

Mother Deuce

A little story...Took the truck to the job site yesterday.Its about 20 miles each way.I came home on the Lougheed hwy then got on to Golden ears hwy then to Abernathy Way.I was in 4th gear closing in on the first intersection and slowing down,stood on the brake pedal and it went to the floor.I thought f**k and tried it again.No pedal and cars coming up quick.Checked my mirrors and got in the soon to end right lane.As soon as I cleared the intersection I geared down and shut the truck off..
I sat and thought about it for a minute.I didn't smell any fluid leaks and my steering was fine (I have a hydra booster).There were no early warning signs..Light bulb came on in my head so I checked under the dash..The pushrod had some how come off the brake pedal..Its a tight fit but I got it back on..
Got the truck back home and put a new clip on the rod..
It could have ended badly but I had a clean escape route and was back on the road in 5 min.

Cheers.....
Glad had a positive result. It would have been bad to bend either yourself and or your ride.

diamondtguy

Occupation
Yes I would have been upset...This happened to me 6 1/2 years ago...We were both bent up pretty bad...Once was enough.I am glad yesterday was pretty un event
full and painless.....

Cory's accident photo.jpg image 3.jpeg