• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Grizzly Trucks

HDX

HHHMMM A couple Tommy Moore blocks now and you will have the ultimate recovery vehicle. She is looking VERY UPTOWN Cory

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
Thanks guys....I actually had to look up what a Tommy Moore block was....Still staying focused on building the Grizzly into what I think it should have been with out losing the truck #1 status and image..
I plan on putting a lot of miles on the truck .Best part is I am having fun doing all this work and am happy with the direction I am going..
Aluminum tail gate and fenders next.......Stay tuned

Cory

diamondtguy

Occupation
Back to the drawing board I go...The dually thing isn't going to work...I would have to widen the rear fenders 3-4 inches a side and It just isn't going to happen...Not the look I am after...
Me brain is starting to hurt.....

wheels 001.jpg

wheels 002.jpg

wheels 004.jpg

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
Cory, if you need any dimensions on the humvee wheels let me know......our village cop car is down for repairs, Jim is using the dpw humvee pickup for a police cruizer.

Yea, I live in a small town...........

Ed

diamondtguy

Occupation
Cory, if you need any dimensions on the humvee wheels let me know......our village cop car is down for repairs, Jim is using the dpw humvee pickup for a police cruizer.

Yea, I live in a small town...........

Ed

Hi....yes I would be interested in knowing the width...What version of a Humvee is it....
Small towns are good...(I live in one)
Thanks.....

diamondtguy

Occupation
The Grizzly need a winter den so I spent the last few days building this one..It is 14W x 24L..I have had a few of these before and lost them both in windstorms...I will take some precautions on this one..
New tires and wheels will be here early next week...I have the solid works drawings for the fenders on my desk and will hopefully order the material next week when (if)I get back to work..Most of the aluminum is at home here for the new tailgate...
Front bumper is out getting sandblasted and coated
Tomorrow the nose comes off the truck..
Hopefully next year I can deal with the city of Mapleridge over the construction of another building on the property..

truck 001.jpg

truck 002.jpg

diamondtguy

Occupation
Nose is off now.I will be stripping the front off the Cummins as they have a dowel pin issue (killer dowel pin)that I need to check and install the dowel pin retainer..
All the hose's will be replaced and rerouted...as will some of the electrical..

grizzly 005.jpg

grizzly 006.jpg

Sometimes I have to just sit down for a minute and just take it all in.....
ATTACH]158836[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• COL_NewsGrizzly_2433.jpg
    COL_NewsGrizzly_2433.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 440

diamondtguy

Occupation
Stripped the front off the engine today..It is all nice and clean...You can see the dowel pin above and too the left of the bolt.It can creep out and fall into the gears...I don't have to tell you what happens next..I don't have the drawings to tell me the depth but I tapped it lightly with a punch and the pin went in..It may have been on its way out..
I believe H17 lots its original V12 to a dowel pin....

cummins 002.jpg

cummins 001.jpg

Jean told me the engine was purchased from Cummins when new..Paint on the front cover clearly shows this engine was assembled and painted Cummins beige and repainted at some point black

...cummins 004.jpg

HD Mech

Occupation
Heavy duty mechanic
Nice save Cory! That would have been terrible if it fell out, especially after all the work you are doing. The truck looks awesome!

diamondtguy

Occupation
Thanks.....made a little stainless clip today to cover the dowel pin...I just cut it by hand..Quick,nasty and effective....

pin 001.jpg

drillrigdoc

Nice fix on the kdp. Never seen one come out in 20 yrs but the stories are enough. Mines at 300k. Anyhow, do you still want dimensions on humvee rims? I have a set of the early type. Hope im not late!

diamondtguy

Occupation
Hi...I have never seen the pin come out either and I only heard about it a few years ago when a friend bought a early Cummins.The storys and pictures on the forums were enough for me to address it tho..Pretty simple to deal with it now and it gives me a chance to get to know this engine better..
I have the wheel issue looked after and they are sitting here..I will post pics later
I thank you for your offer to help...

diamondtguy

Occupation
Little things this week...Front of the engine is all back together.Dont think the engine has ever been apart so I pulled all the small parts off and cleaned them.Chased all the threads,never seized the bolts and put fresh gaskets in.I pulled the top off the intake for some service and I need to upgrade the valve springs to work with the Pac-brake..

grizzly 014 (2).jpg

Tilt hood is mounted on a piano hinge.Its held down with about 9 5/16 GR8 bolts..Naturally all but one broke so I had to drill them all out and re tap them.I re tapped them to 3/8 NC..

grizzly 001 (36).jpg

My new FleetGuard fuel water separator.I installed threaded inserts in the firewall for it..I will plumb it up this week.Truck will get all new fuel lines

grizzly 004 (27).jpg

I also need to make a bracket for the sensor (crank trigger) for the tach.

diamondtguy

Occupation
So....this does not happen to me very often.As in maybe every couple of years I get focused on something and haven't thought it through or absorbed everything that is going to go on around it....But it happened today.

Here is the bracket I made this morning for the crank trigger switch that signals the tach...I thought all was well till I looked at the pictures tonight and instantly noticed the serp belt would hit it.I will re address this tomorrow and re think it.
I have no shortage of aluminum here so into the scrap bin it goes..
Tomorrow I will put the belt back on (should have to begin with) and come up with another idea...

Cheers

crank trigger 003.jpg

callingtheshop

Great job and workmanship, a real pleasure to see that in this day and age, you know what I mean.
I think you have some easy accessibility to the exhaust now, might be beneficial to redo all the manifold hardware/gaskets before it craps out and makes the job a real bit**.
Thanks for sharing, I really enjoy it and am a bit envious.
Now back to my Toy as a warning CHEC has appeared on the instrument cluster and so far is a hair puller.

diamondtguy

Occupation
Callingtheshop...I have pretty much been yanking everything off that has bolts in and servicing it..This includes all the electrical stuff as well. The truck sat a lot and and the electrical and aluminum got rather fuzzy..
I will more than likely unbolt the exhaust manifold and separate the turbo.Much easier to deal with the bolts now and I do have a full set of gaskets here..

Today I redid the bracket for the tach sensor.I found a pad on the other side of the engine with tapped holes in it..Fan clears the bracket by about a 1/4 of a inch.I also ran the wires for the sensor through a pc of 3/8 stainless tubing so they are not floating around or sitting on the engine.Wires have shrink tube on them where they enter and exit the tube..

things 005.jpg

things 006.jpg

things 007.jpg

things 008.jpg

This guy has been hanging around here most of the day eating nuts and apples in the front yard.After lunch he went down to my pond and had a swim..

things 004.jpg

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
Corey,hope there are no food scraps or fruit under the big tent. Little black bear may tear in and be shocked to be face to face with a grizzly