• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Grizzly Trucks

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
Very true BP....we are very bear aware here...No edible garbage anywhere on the property..We don't even have garbage service here.
He was here twice on Monday as was the female with two cubs..They come every year for the apples and the nuts..We always get our fair share of apples and the rest go to waist so they can have them..They have to pass by Mary's garden and they have never touched her garden or our blue berry trees....
We live in Bear country here.Most people around just ignore them...Its the Coyotes and the odd Cougar that are the problem

I guess Mr.Bear just thinks the Grizzly is hibernating.

diamondtguy

Occupation
It was a very ugly day today weather wise.After going to the company lunch barbeque today I came home (to a oak tree full of bears) and decided it was a good day to try and pull the exhaust manifold and turbo off.Now lots of you have pulled exhaust manifolds off and know that it usually results in broken/seized bolts or broken knuckles...No such luck today.It all came apart with lots of effort but no swearing or headaches...

Not sure what I will do with the manifold yet.As it feeds the turbo I have to be very carefull to keep it clean inside..
Probably start with getting it hot tanked..

grizzly 001.jpg

grizzly 003.jpg

grizzly 004.jpg

diamondtguy

Occupation
Fuel system day...It took over 24hrs to drain the fuel tank through its 3/8 fuel line.There was about 15gal in the tank and it was just dribbling out the line (gravity)I knew something was wrong but didn't know what..
It has a high pressure/quality line leaving the tank but its only a foot long and then it connects to rubber hose with this arrangement....

grizzly 001.jpg

A standard aeroquip type hose end with out the nut.Just shoved into the rubber hose and clamped.There are two like this on the PS return line system as well..In theory it works but not my style.I then removed the high pressure hose and the fitting out of the tank.I had already seen something poking out but wasn't prepared for this..

grizzly 007.jpg

grizzly 006.jpg

A rather large pc of cellophane .Its been in there a long time and was already on its way down the hose but it was stuck.The days of floating around the tank were long gone..Its been in there for a while..
Poor truck its a miracle it ran..Clogged fuel line and the return system shut off..

Truck has a heat exchanger on it for the trans cooler.As I am going 5spd I don't need it but considered keeping it for extra coolant volume.A few test showed it only held about 12-14 oz of water plus what ever the 5/8 lines hold..Not enough to convince me to keep it on..I might add its stupid heavy for its size.

grizzly 004.jpg

grizzly 005.jpg

I currently have the drain pulled on the tank to have a good look inside..The pick up fitting for the fuel is not on the bottom its a few inches up which is good.I can put a stand pipe in the fitting if its to close to the floor..

It was a productive day....

Cheers

diamondtguy

Occupation
I put all new fittings and lines in the fuel system.I had about 20' of braided hose here and some ends left over from a project and just needed to buy some fittings for the truck..I will clamp all the lines up when I have the trans out.I poured all the diesel back in except the 1/2 a gallon that I got when I pulled the actual drain.It was in a bucket outside my shop and a curious bear cub pulled it over and soaked his front paws (along with my drive way).He left nice little paw prints down the rest of my driveway and then into the pond he went for a swim..

grizzly 004.jpg

grizzly 005.jpg

I baked the exhaust manifold on my wood stove for a few days to dry it right out.Then into the blast cabinet it went.Wasnt sure what I was going to do with it but I have some industial 1500 deg paint here so I coated the manifold..It may or may not stay..I use it on exhaust pipes but they don't get anywhere near manifold temps..

grizzly 008.jpg

Built a new intake elbow as I am adding a intercooler.Base is 1/2 SS that was water jet and then I slid some 2 1/2 tube in it..Straight forward and basic..I also disassembled the grid heater and gave it a good cleaning.All the electrical connections are being cleaned and inspected..

grizzly 001.jpg

Work called today and said Catalyst Croften just sent two more feeders for rebuild.I just did (sent) two rebuilt units a couple of weeks ago.So off to work I go tomorrow....I guess CC is busy..

And yes I have a cap on the end of the intake elbow....

grizzly 009.jpg

ben46a

Coming along nicely! That little Cummins, especially intercooled shouldn't see anywhere near 1500 at the exhaust manifold so hopefully the paint will stand up fine.

diamondtguy

Occupation
Not much to show this week.I got the bumper back from getting epoxy coated.I have the 12,000lb Warn winch tucked in behind it with out having to space the bumper out.I also added some 5,000lb swivel tow hooks I had.They are certified hooks that come with a bag of paperwork.Out of curiousity I read it and they have a 5-1 safety factor..The bumper will be on the ground before I ever test that rating..

grizzly 001.jpg

The dash has a air pressure gauge in it so I made up a bulkhead fitting and ran a 1/4 SS line to it.The front air bags are being plumbed with SS tube and swedge lock fittings.The gauge will moniter the front bags..

grizzly 002.jpg

I was told the truck had a problem of getting water in the fuel tank and the fuel gauge didn't work..Needless to say there was copious amounts of silicone/sealer around the fuel filler and the sender unit.I peeled it all off and pulled the sender out.I tested the sender and it works fine.I made new gaskets and put it all back together with SS machine screws.Sorry...I couldn't save the Robertson head stuff (yak)
I suspect the trucks on going fuel problems were the return line being shut off and its complete lack of fuel to the pump..

grizzly 003.jpg

Happy Thanksgiving...

diamondtguy

Occupation
It is very wet and miserable here on the mainland and I believe the Island is even worse.Blacktop is getting a little wet in the shed but the truck is dry..
Managed to make all new powersteering and hydra vac hoses for it today.Nothing really wrong with the old ones but I chose a different way of doing the fittings and I have routed them a little different .

grizzly 003.jpg

grizzly 004.jpg

Engine and trans are sitting there unbolted and ready to pull..Way to much for my cherry picker so I have arranged for a tractor to come here when there is a window in the weather...Pulled the e-brake handle out and gave it a quick resto/service...I really like the old school handle and will be putting it back in...Other than the chrome it is very similar to the one on my 36 Diamond T..

grizzly 005.jpg

grizzly 001.jpg

grizzly 002.jpg

Cheers

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
Good update Corey. Too bad you have to go outside for lift. Always a pain trying to line up times for all people to get together and the weather. Doing good though. Bp

diamondtguy

Occupation
Thanks BP...A friend actually offered to trailer his tractor over here and help me out.I am helping him out with his mid 70's F-250 4x4 cummins conversion....
As I said in post 289 I have lost 2 of these tents to windstorms..Yesterday (Friday) the front of the tent was over 2 feet in the air and the tent was getting blown every where.I scrambled around and tied it down to the truck...
Today the tent was mounted on 6x6 timbers both sides and full length..Mary and I were out there in the semi storm for about 2 hours.I also have it tied down to the truck..Storm was supposed to hit again tonight but all is quiet..
About 8 years ago I had a tent over the Diamond T lift straight up and over the truck and land in the back yard...It didn't touch the truck.I have since built a proper home for the Diamond T...Permit or no permit....I will be putting up another building....

I hope you boys on the Island and the west coast didn't get hit to hard....

diamondtguy

Occupation
Drivers side wiper motor sounds like a glass case full of ball bearings...I took it all apart and the magnets are just floating around in the can.Sounds like they are just banging each other every rotation...
Does anybody recognize the motor or the logo on it...Any suggestions on a replacement/refit one...

Thanks.....

grizzly wiper 001.jpg

grizzly wiper 002.jpg

grizzly wiper 003.jpg

grizzly wiper 004.jpg

diamondtguy

Occupation
Took some research but its a Marine pc...and it is priced like a marine pc.....Oh well at least I can get one..

HDX

diamondtguy, these are the ones I have. The big difference is the shaft length. Don't know if you could make them work, but if you can they'll be in the mail.IMG_3670.jpgIMG_3671.jpgIMG_3672.jpgIMG_3673.jpg

diamondtguy

Occupation
Thanks HDX...those are very nice but as you said the shaft length is much shorter...The truck has towers welded on the cab to work with the long shafts.I would have to pull the whole dash assembly out to make changes..I thank you for looking....

....I decided to try and epoxy the magnets back in the can...Truck only has 50,000 miles on it and as it leaked so bad I don't think Jean drove it much in the rain so in theory the wiper motors are virtually new.......Makes sense (kinda sorta)
I uses two part epoxy,did all the math(location) and glued them back in one at a time.Let them cure for 24 hours and reassembled...Much to my happiness the motor runs very nice and quiet..

I have been very busy on it looking after line/hose routing and I have the dual batteries all hooked up now..Plan now is to have the truck back on the road in the spring...

diamondtguy

Occupation
Things you notice when you CSI pictures...It would appear that my truck is the only one built with the flat style headlight mounts..Truck #2 (red one) and every other one I have pics of have the headlights recessed and the lights have a eye brow over them..I suspect this keeps the water out but as most of them have front fender issues from rust some thing wasn't working..I kinda like the recessed look and may put my own spin on the idea...The drawings are already made and the material was ordered today.I will build them as copys of what the truck had but may tweak it abit.

airbags full.jpg

march 9th 2014 046 (2).jpg

No pictures to show this week of the progress.I have been busy wiring up all the new gauges,mirrors,converting it to dual batteries and generally going over the electrical...and (Jean) I got the fuel gauge to work

diamondtguy

Occupation
Still busy wiring....Today I finished wiring up the gauges and wired up the heated mirrors.Also busy removing redundant wiring and a few switches that don't appear to do anything.Tomorrow I will focus on the wiring for the exhaust brake and on board air compressor...

grizzly 005.jpg

You can clearly see the difference in lighting in the small gauges..Two are standard clip in bulb and the far right one is the new internal LED.....quite the difference..

grizzly 004.jpg

Also sat down and changed all the bolts in the door hinges on the door post side..9 bolts per side,5/16 NC x1..They were MS bolts with nylocks and for the most part were ok but I replaced them with SS bolts,nylocks and some never seize..
Aluminum should be here tomorrow for the new fenders..

Tomorrow is another day...

Last edited:

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I'm fascinated with it. I've always wanted a Unimog, have a '56 Power Wagon. The pure utility of the thing is so appealing to me. I'm also curious why such a truck is 4x2?

Willie