• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Granite block vs. Cat 988

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
That's a B model and no way it could handle 50 ton. Logging machines with extra counterweight and short booms at best could only handle 30 ton and that one has a loader front.

Gavin84w

STD lift 988B which that looks like it is had a rated payload of 9600kg, lets be rely leniant and double it to say 19200kg, somehow i think relief valves and blown hoses would be the order of the day even before 19200kg.

Maybe 15 ton blocks but no way in hell 50 ton and just for giggles the 994 loader is rated at 35 ton.

I just hate seeing BS on these boards and links from it and there sure are a lot of people that come on here and are legitimate about learning something and i think we experienced guys owe them that, we gotta help breed the next generation somehow, BS sure ain,t the way.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
I just hate seeing BS on these boards and links from it and there sure are a lot of people that come on here and are legitimate about learning something and i think we experienced guys owe them that, we gotta help breed the next generation somehow, BS sure ain,t the way.

Yeah, the "50 tons" part might be BS, but on the other hand, the guy did a nice job of handling a piece that was obviously right at the limit of the machine's ability to handle it.

Is anybody here familiar with the weight of granite and the size of the machine able to give a rough estimate of how big that block was and how much it might really weigh?

LoaderMonkey

A 6x7x11 foot granite block = ~39.5 short tons.
A 6x6x9 foot granite block = ~27.8 short tons.

I can't judge dimensions well from the clip but think the block is something close to the if the person in the frame is ~ 6 feet tall.

JDOFMEMI

Keep in mind "rated" loader capacity is 50% of the full turn static tipping load, or what will just lift the tires when the machine is fully turned. The loader is wheels up in a straight line, so it is AT LEAST double of the rated load plus another 15 to 20% for being straight, not turned. Add to that that the block forks weigh less than the rock bucket the payload is calculated with, and you get another couple of tons.

I would estimate it to be about 25 ton, and the loader never lifted it, only took enough weight off to scoot it along the ground. With all this in mind, 30 to 35 ton would not be out of line. These numbers match up to LoaderMonkey's block weight estimate.

Remember, rated load is what the machine can function safely at repeatedly, with less than a skilled operator at the controls, so as to prevent accidents, as well as make the machine last longer. You can overload with a good operator, but machine life will suffer. That you have to weigh against the cost of a larger machine to do the work. Considering the 988B is at least 20 years old, I would say it has held up OK.

them1677

Tipping Load-Straight 76,776lbs, Articulated 43° 64,745lbs for std 8.3 yd3 bucket

I just got that off the Cat web site brochure on page 20. A new model, unless I read the info wrong, can handle 38 tons straight and 32 tons articulated.

Payload is 50% of the articulated static tip load. It looks cool anyway.