• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Got me another project.

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
Make sure you video the block being ventilated at 8000 RPM! - this kind of great footage sells well, and might even pay for a whole new engine! :eek:
Hah! I'd definitely make the news then. The headlines would read: "Suburban Denver Home Turned Into A Crater. Authorities Baffled". Great for my YouTube channel. Not great for business :)

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
No explosion today. No nothing. I got the pump back on and hooked up, and made sure it was fed with fresh fuel. I cranked it for a while, with the top vent off, expecting to see fuel coming out at some point, but that point never came. So I took the governor cover off, and put a little fuel in there, and cranked again, expecting to see the level rise, and fairly quickly. The fuel level did rise, just sllooowly. As in maybe 20 cranks to get 1/8" rise in fuel level. Before I took the pump off initially, I took the cover off, partially filled it with fuel, and put shop air in the inlet, and I didn't even get bubbles in the housing. That's when I decided the pump was shagged. I did the same thing today, and I got bubbles. so I know air can make it into the housing, but that vane pump is just not pumping. Or the relief is relieving too much. I can't play with it anymore today either, it's time to go feel Mary. or Merry. Or something like that.

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
One step closer today. I had no transfer pressure, so I took the relief valve out again, and found I didn't put the spring back in. The valve was going into full relief all the time. Bummer, except for I found the spring on the floor! I thought that thing would be long gone, but I got lucky, and cleaned it up and put it back in. So now I'm fueling. The last thing I'm checking is to make sure the pump stops pumping when I shut it off. I want to try to make sure I have control of that engine. Of course, the ventilated crankcase would definitely be more fun, I wanna hear this little piggy run.

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
Pressure regulator, not relief valve. There's a fly in my ointment. More accurately a leak in my hydraulic system. Looks like it's near the steering. The reason why this is important is because this is a closed-center system, and the pump wants to build standby pressure before de-stroking. Once it builds standby pressure, it de-strokes and unloads the engine, which unloads the starter motor. This would normally look like a brief heavy load on the starter motor 10-20 seconds in, and then the starter could continue cranking the engine without the hydraulic pump making that harder. Since I apparently have a leak somewhere, that pressure never builds. Or at least doesn't hold. So the hydraulic pump is always looking for it's 2200 psi (or whatever it is), and keeping a heavy load on the engine. In the Deere world, this problem has a long and storied past, and the band-aid is to wiggle the steering wheel back and forth while cranking, to keep the system from building pressure and allow cranking. Goofy, but effective. There is also a manual de-stroking kit you can buy (or make) to keep the stroke control spool valve in the pump from moving, effectively taking the pump (and the whole system) offline while you get the engine to fire. This kit is popular with guys who operate in colder climates. I'm going to either make or buy that kit and install it, because again, all I'm trying to do is get this thing running enough to get it in the shop, and out of the cold. It's been pretty mild weather around here so far, but that's going to change and soon.

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
She's a runner! I did almost ventilate the case because as soon as she chugged to life, it tried to rev to the moon. Thankfully I was ready for this and had a board handy to cover the intake. I must have installed the linkages wrong. There is a threaded hole in the pump body toward the rear that just had a short screw (plug) in it. I put a longer screw in there to force the regulating valve closed, and I can control rpm that way. So that tells me, I think, that the rest of the pump is probably ok. I'm going to take a closer look obviously, but for now it's running and actually sounds good.

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
Got er. I had installed a washer on the front end of the governor spring. That disrupted the balance of control inside the top cover. Just the addition of the washer put enough tension on that spring, it effectively prevented the governor linkage from closing the metering valve, so it was held wide open. Runs like a champ now.