• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Got me another project.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I said, 2-3x.!! Lol
The vent wire is what’s stuck..
The bigger one is the vw retainer.. u wouldn’t be the 1st one that left it in (stuck).,
If u have some REAL GOOD penetrating oil, spray it down and let it sit overnight and try again..
OR
put it together and don’t worry about it.
Did u get a kit.?? 24371..??
Most importantly is to make sure the pumping plungers are free..

thepumpguysc

Occupation
R u taking out the delivery valve.?? By the looks of things u probably should..
Only problem is, # 9 HAS TO BE TORQUED to 90 inch lbs..
If the dv is stuck OR the plungers r stuck, the pump won’t pump..

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
Hadn't ordered the kit yet, that's a tomorrow thing. I did not take the delivery valve out. I will now though :). That pump head had been soaking in PB for a few days as it was. I actually used the PB and WD40 to clean out the passages. I think I'll just leave it in there.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Sorry friend, I don’t sell parts.
Was your flex ring intact or broken.?? Or did it have a solid weight cage.??
If it has a plastic flex ring, u should consider getting a solid cage..

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
Gotcha. Solid cage. The thing ran for a few minutes when I bought it a few weeks ago, and judging by how bad the pump looked, I can't even begin to explain that. Maybe the fuel in the pump was good, and the fuel in the tank was bad, and as soon as the good fuel was displaced by the junk from the tank, it went TU. I don't know, that's the only thing I can think of. Wierd.

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
Carburettor and Throttle Body cleaner spray is good for unsticking parts gummed up by old dried-out diesel.
Real quick too. The cleaning of the pump is going well. I think I'm going to pick up a rust dip this week. There's lots of nooks and crannies and small parts that I think a dip would really help speed things along. It's taking forever with a dremel.

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
R u taking out the delivery valve.?? By the looks of things u probably should..
Only problem is, # 9 HAS TO BE TORQUED to 90 inch lbs..
If the dv is stuck OR the plungers r stuck, the pump won’t pump..
My delivery valve is stuck in the rotor. I got the cap and spring out, but the valve itself is in there. I'm thinking there's enough pressure behind that valve that it'll just open when the pumping starts. Is that reasonable? Also what thread sealant should I use for those tiny screws in the pump head (the one for the vent wire, for instance)?

thepumpguysc

Occupation
If the dv is stuck now, it’ll be stuck later..
Go ahead and use whatever u want to on the threads..
U don’t have the proper tools to
do it right..
R u replacing the liner, blades, mv, dv, pilot tube, dv spring.??
Probably not..
U better go watch more utube videos..

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
Watching YouTube is what got me into this trouble in the first place. I used grease and got it out. It was stuck in there so badly, I don't see how any tool would have worked. Seal kit comes tomorrow. If I'm lucky I met get the motor running this weekend. Not likely though.

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
Learning a lot about pumps in this process. Like the fact I was woefully unprepared for this job. If there is a next time, I'll know better. Today's lesson is about the roller clearance. Since my plungers were stuck, there's no way I could have got a measurement when the pump came apart. That would have been preferable. I could have measured the ends of the spring, but I didn't. For today, I found a few pump spec sheets and I'm using 1.965. I don't even know if that's correct for my pump, but that's the closest I could fine and the rotor looks just like it did when it came apart, so I'm guessing it's ok.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
What r u going to do if this doesn’t run.??
Or if it does run and u can’t control the rpm’s and it punch’s a hole in the block.??
Is all this anguish worth it to save the money.?? for what.??

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
Tube is nice and smooth. Hopefully with new seals,
It'll stay that way. I don't experiment when it comes to customer machines, but this one is mine and I wanted to learn. This is how we do it right? We learn by doing. Well, at least I do. I don't consider it anguish. It's definitely a tedious PITA though; I've learned that much. If it doesn't run, I'll try to figure out where I went wrong. Same goes for it blowing up. Are you saying I'm going to make the local news with my 1.965? I can't remember now where I got that number.