• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Got a wild hair, what do you think??

nedly05

I currently have a 65 HP 5410 JD tractor that I love, it is a very nice machine, I got it for decent money, and it was VERY WELL cared for. I am very happy with this machine, but I am wondering if a skid steer would work better for me.

I am wondering if a 270 or 280 JD would better suit my needs. I would buy the tracks that go over the tires, I would want a rubber tired unit. I can convert my grapple, forks and snowplow to the skid steer attachment plate so I can keep them. I would most likely try and trade the tractor, chipper and winch for a skid with a bucket and chipper, then down the road get a 6 way blade and a grinder head.

What do you guys think? am I nuts, should I just keep the tractor and run it or venture out into the skid steer world.There are tractors all over the place here but no one has a skid steer, maybe a niche forming for me???

bobcat ron

Banned
Occupation
playing with the new 247 MTL
Skid steers are just one of those machines you really have to get some major seat time in to know which one is best, I'm not saying Deere is good or bad and hell, don't even think that Bobcat is any better (don't look at my screen name) Even if you are going to buy used, if you are planning to make those tracks really work for you, with all the experience I've had with those blasted OTT tracks, I bit the bullet and went for a CTL. CTL's are actually cheaper to buy used now compared to SSL, not sure why, but if you are thinking of a CTL down the road, grab them while you can.

nedly05

Thanks Ron,
I've never run a deere skid steer, just bobcat, I would lean towards bobcat, but they arent sold around here anymore and the deere dealer is just an our away. I am thinking a skid steer (track or wheel) could end up being a bit more versatile for me in the end:beatsme

nedly05

After doing a little research, I think the newer #'s the one I would most likely get is a 320. It is just under 70 HP so that's just about like my tractor. How many GPM are required to run a chipper, and snowblower, mower.....I have a 9" bearcat chipper that runs off the PTO, any way to make it run on a hydraulic motor?? That would be clutch, less to buy.

www.eelriversteel.com makes a nice looking track, that could easily be modified for snow removal by welding cleats or studs to them.

I think I'll call JD on wednesday!!!!!!!!

bobcat ron

Banned
Occupation
Good idea, and it all depends on the torque curve of the engine too, I know my Cat makes 57 HP @ 2700 RPM and it has 32 HP @ the aux. lines, so high flow would bump it up another 10 HP, but the engine can't keep up with that.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I would not even consider a Deere unless it was the new 300 series. I would not equate Deere tractor quality with their skid steer line they are not the same. Their resale has not overcome the initial 200 series release problems. The upside is you might find a 325 equipped right for decent money especially if you are trading in your tractor which will have great value. One thing to remember on high flow blowers is they take higher hp to run most effectively, especially at higher alt. Another point to remember is that the Erskine Blower and the Quick-Attach blower are the same/Erskine and Quick Attach are the same company.

I have owned HF blowers and the Erskine 2418 is the best I know of.

I ran the QA version last year in MT at 9000 feet on a CASE 440 HF. Awesome. Even at that alt. in heavy snow it would throw snow 40 plus' and the engine would not even pull down. With the right size machine and blower you can move a lot of snow more effectively than anyone else with lesser equipment.

bobcat ron

Banned
Occupation
The older Deere's before the 200's were good, ones like the 33 and 44 series, I still see a few of them around.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I've got the Erskine 2418, bought it before I learned about Quick Attach. A buddy of mine just bought the Quick Attach model and it was substantially less money than what I paid for my blower 6 years ago, there's no dealer mark up. I've had one problem outside of accidental damage with mine, one of the coils on the chute control manifold burned out. It was about $25 and took a couple days to get, fortunately in between storms.

nedly05

Thanks guys, some great input, any one have a pic or 2 of there machine with the blower?

Steve, how many HP is your machine, and is it hi flow??

Thanks again!

Construct'O

Occupation
Dozerwork,tiling plus many more!!!!!!!
I currently have a 65 HP 5410 JD tractor that I love, it is a very nice machine, I got it for decent money, and it was VERY WELL cared for. I am very happy with this machine, but I am wondering if a skid steer would work better for me.

I am wondering if a 270 or 280 JD would better suit my needs. I would buy the tracks that go over the tires, I would want a rubber tired unit. I can convert my grapple, forks and snowplow to the skid steer attachment plate so I can keep them. I would most likely try and trade the tractor, chipper and winch for a skid with a bucket and chipper, then down the road get a 6 way blade and a grinder head.

What do you guys think? am I nuts, should I just keep the tractor and run it or venture out into the skid steer world.There are tractors all over the place here but no one has a skid steer, maybe a niche forming for me???

Wild hair,sometimes thats good and then other times not sooooo,Good!!!

I had a deal somewhat like yours but different.:confused: Somewhat as in i had Deere tractor and wanted CTL.Checked with Cat and Deere.Cat is getting into Ag,but having Deere wanting to trade for Cat didn't go the best.

Got a better trade with Deere on new CTL,financed with low interest and extra attachment all at one time.Worked for me this time.

I would second the newer 300 series Deere skids.I would think a better trade with Deere for Deere then other brands.Never know tho until you check.

They just might have someone looking for a Deere tractor at a Bobcat dealer.:beatsme Good luck:usa

nedly05

Well I went up to JD today, and I looked at what they had on the lot. I was thinking a 320 would be just the ticket, but it is just a little but bigger than I had in mind. The 317 is not much different than the 320 in size, but enough so that I made up my mind to go with the 317. It does not have high flow, but the standard flow is 17 GPM which will run the the ES 2000 series blower which requires 11-25 GPM. Being in the middle of that should run it quite nicely. I kept the chipper I currently have, and I may either try to convert it to Hyd. from PTO, or sell it outright, and buy a little bit smaller chipper. The one I have will do 8" wood, so if I had one that would do 5 or 6 " that would be fine, as anything over that size can be burnt. I should have the 317 tomorrow, if everything goes OK, and the delivery can be made. So when she's here, I'll post pics!!:thumbsup

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Before you purchase the blower I would demo it first, if that is possible. The nonHF blowers especially with only 17 gpm are not going to be overly productive. If you are just blowing your own place out it is no big deal. If you are going to blow snow commercially you will not be very productive with it. It all comes down to the application.

nedly05

It's not something that will be used a ton to blow snow. Mostly my own place, We have plenty of snow removal equipment at work, but if need be the option is there. If I bring it to work, it will mostly be in the summer doing dirt work. Like I said it's my own machine, but if the need is there, Dad will say go get it.

Tracks,
Who has tracks, and what type do you reccomend? There are a lot to choose from. Something with good flotation in the 1000 to 1500 dollar range is perfect, there are some made out in WI that look really good for the price, they arent those chain and plate steel type.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
You don't want a blower that runs on standard flow, you'll constantly be cleaning out clogs. Sure they make them, but they also make underpowered economy cars too. If you're looking for any kind of production, high flow is the only way to go.