• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Gold Rush Alaska

DirtHauler

Occupation
Heavy Highway Dirt Hauler
Looks like an 980B to me. I am sure someone will post a positive ID on it soon.

rabbit

Occupation
Plumbing and Exavation Contractor
Anyone notice the danger in working in that hole? Got water rushing in from the river and washing rock down. Where is Labor and Industries?

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
Rabbit, remember that its a tv show and that the appearance of more danger = higher ratings. Alot of people confuse reality tv with reality.

DirtHauler

Occupation
Heavy Highway Dirt Hauler
Anyone notice the danger in working in that hole? Got water rushing in from the river and washing rock down. Where is Labor and Industries?

They are regulated by MSHA and trust me, i seriously doubt there will be a season 2. MSHA makes L & I look like childs play. MSHA is probobly the worst of all the federal safety associations. They might be exempt from some laws by not having any employees but I still think they will be shut down after what was aired this season. You just can't broadcast a site like that nationwide without forcing them to do something.

Thats the same reason the S & S loggers on from ax men can't log in WA State anymore, they did not have permits.

Username

They are regulated by MSHA and trust me, i seriously doubt there will be a season 2. MSHA makes L & I look like childs play. MSHA is probobly the worst of all the federal safety associations. They might be exempt from some laws by not having any employees but I still think they will be shut down after what was aired this season. You just can't broadcast a site like that nationwide without forcing them to do something.

Thats the same reason the S & S loggers on from ax men can't log in WA State anymore, they did not have permits.

Negative, employees is not the qualifying factor for MSHA, ask the family-run rock pits and they can tell you that (and why most of them are quitting). Technically you can get away with being a barrow pit, but you aren't supposed to process material more than a scalper and it isn't supposed to leave the property. They lay claim to your soul otherwise.

d9gdon

I wondered why S&S wasn't logging in WA anymore. One of those guys is gonna get seriously hurt. The Dad is an absolute idiot. It is funny to watch them though, kinda like a slow motion train wreck.

d9gdon

980B. Looks like it's in pretty good shape.

They didn't make much off of gold this year, but I bet they made plenty off of Discovery channel. I do like the show though, glad to see it's coming back next season.

Boss

980B. Looks like it's in pretty good shape.

They didn't make much off of gold this year, but I bet they made plenty off of Discovery channel. I do like the show though, glad to see it's coming back next season.

Were selling a 988 B in better condition than that, and a newer model for $18k. I think he is a little overpriced.

d9gdon

big b,

I know what you mean about the old man. When the episode came on earlier this year and they kept advertising him saying "No guts, no glory!", I about puked. It was like somebody scratching their fingernails on a chalkboard. My 15 year old boy mocked him for days after that when I did something to irritate him.

Boss, he's cashin' in on his 15 minutes of fame. It's been on TV you know.

Out

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Saw one of the teasers for the show with a bunch of dust in a pan. Was wondering who salted the claim so they could come back next year?

roadrunner81

Occupation
Managing member KSR Excavating, LLC
Saw one of the teasers for the show with a bunch of dust in a pan. Was wondering who salted the claim so they could come back next year?

I don't know. They showed a teaser this week with big ol nugget in a pan. Its funny that I get irritated at their lack of efficiency but at the same time cant look away.

245dlc

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
I don't know. They showed a teaser this week with big ol nugget in a pan. Its funny that I get irritated at their lack of efficiency but at the same time cant look away.

Same here, I often wonder why they don't just load the wash plant with the loader, and when the plant breaks down or needs a cleanout they should be stockpiling more material with that "400" before that hole becomes a lake.

On another note I was wondering if any of you guys have done placer mining. My dad did for a bit in the '70's as a hobby with nothing but a homemaded sluice box, a shovel, and a 2" monarch pump.

Last edited:

roadrunner81

Occupation
Managing member KSR Excavating, LLC
There 400 is overkill for any of the support equipment. Would be better of with the 230 in the pit, loader feeding wash plant or maybe even an 80 or 120 excavator.

Cletus

Occupation
Operator of Older Equipment, Old Equipment Operato
The 980 AND the 270 were for sale when they left Haines last fall.
Todd ofered them to a friend of mine but I don't remember the prices.
I told my friend those were not the pieces he needed!
They had been "Rode Hard and Put Away Wet!" from what I could tell.:(

hvy 1ton

The 980 AND the 270 were for sale when they left Haines last fall.
Todd ofered them to a friend of mine but I don't remember the prices.
I told my friend those were not the pieces he needed!
They had been "Rode Hard and Put Away Wet!" from what I could tell.:(

I would have been surprised if they looked anything but. They were always complaining about how the loader wasn't keeping up. Why they want a smaller one is beyond me. With a 25t artic stockpiling, they could use a smaller loader to pull away tailings, but what are they gonna load the plant with if they sold the 270? Trying to think like dumb people is unhealthy.