• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Go Pettibone

Pettiboner

THAT is a million dollar plan right there.
THANK YOU!
I am going with that for sure.
Welder Dave, Pettiboner's FAVE!

Welder Dave

Thanks for the update! Looks pretty good. It always nice to see how a repair turns out. If the welds are sound (no slag, lack of fusion or porosity) it should be good. The vertical welds would have been better to do up hand but as long as they have some penetration should be fine. I'd imagine it was pretty hot. I'd grind them a little smoother myself and round off the bottom edge because all the weld craters are there and that's where cracks can start.

Pettiboner

Yah that bottom one was a bit tricky.
No clearance for fishplates as the hoe swings around pretty tight. So I took your earlier advice and ground out the sides, filled them up with horizontal beads and then overlaid vertically. There's a lot of screwing around in there!!!
I also ended up grinding up from the bottom to get to the other side of the weld that I did from up top. Got a chance to practice my overhead.......
There was a lot of air chisel work to peen those beads and clean it all up as I came back out.
I will make you a deal Dave. If it never breaks, I send you that chegue!!

Welder Dave

Hopefully for you I don't live long enough for that to happen. You can call it your Art Deco repair.

Pettiboner

Welder Dave!! You still out there??
I was thinking of you the other day!! I could feel your consternation while I was testing the strength of that weld!!!!