• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

GM medium duty trucks will shut down for good July 31st no buyer.

mikef87

Occupation
owner/operator/mechanic/laborer/truck driver
I just bought a GMC 2500 HD back in March. That was a kick in the face.

mikef87

Occupation
Don't worry mike, the 2500 isn't a medium duty truck, they're stopping the single axle straight truck line, not pickups.

Like 5500 and up? My next service trucks are going to be 5500's Ford lost me for a customer, way to many problems on way to many trucks.

D5G

This is really a shame, gonna cost some bigg bucks to the owners I would be willing to bet.

Cretebaby

Like 5500 and up? My next service trucks are going to be 5500's Ford lost me for a customer, way to many problems on way to many trucks.

I don't think the 5500 is included in that.

Just the Kodiak and Topkick size

amunderdog

Last edited:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I have read awhile back, that Hino made trucks that alot of owners of small fleets swear by.

Toyota owns Hino. We have one in our roll-off company, 26K GVW, Air brakes, Allison Auto, Swaploader hook. It has been an excellent truck with very little problems. I drove it from B'ham AL to just north of Greenville SC to get the hook fitted and it was a very comfortable truck to drive, even as a cab and chassis. The Hino conventional http://www.hino.com/trucks/story_808.php

I had an '03 IH 4300 flatbed dump I bought new and had nothing but problems out of it - electrical shorts, guage malfunctions, computer issues and multiple A/C failures within the first 30K miles. Not getting enough pain from IH :Banghead, I bought a '05 7600 Tandem dump, what a mistake but it was my fault for giving them a second chance:cool:. Same problems as the 4300 and the A/C was still not working for the 6-7 time, when I sold it (seeing that truck leave the yard was one of the happiest days of my life:rolleyes:) I hope IH has worked the bugs out of their lineup by now. I would by another Hino without a doubt.

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
Thats real smart of GM. They might as well just give up on everything.

When your going broke you need to get rid of everything your not making money with that is costing you money.
They only sold 30,000 units a year or two ago now they are down to 20,000:( Tough to make money at those low units. No one is buying at the moment not even municipalities.

mikef87

Occupation
I have read awhile back, that Hino made trucks that alot of owners of small fleets swear by.
They where doing mostly city or regional type work.
http://www.hino.com/trucks/
View attachment 42389
http://www.truckertotrucker.com/listings/58224.cfm

If were going to be a truck this size, I would buy a Peterbilt. But the problem is parking them at your house, many municipalities have a ordinance saying No commercial vehicle over 10,000 lbs can be parked at a residence, with out a variance. Although the F-550 is over 10,000 lbs people it "blended" in a little better than a Pete 330 would.

Chaz Murray

kinda off topic but if anyone wants a 1972 chevy C50 Box truck....first one to pick it up its yours...free! located in Stockton Ca

RTSmith

Occupation
Amateur demolition & dirt pusher
When your going broke you need to get rid of everything your not making money with that is costing you money.
They only sold 30,000 units a year or two ago now they are down to 20,000:( Tough to make money at those low units. No one is buying at the moment not even municipalities.

But they've got to buy sometime. The muni's especially are still racking up the miles, just postponing replacement. Who'll be left to sell trucks when demand picks back up?

D5G

Our City was in the process of replacing all their Chevy 3500HD service trucks (20-30) of them with the 4500 Chevy/GMC's....but this sure is going to change things.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Didn't Izusu pick up the "top kick" and stick it with their S series?

The Topkick and Isuzu were co-branded for a while but I think the Topkick is officially dead at the moment.