• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

GM medium duty trucks will shut down for good July 31st no buyer.

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
Sad they will be gone forever.:(
Wonder what that means for parts? Wonder what I should buy for my 1984 GMC 7000 before the parts are gone? How much is available after market like brake pads rotors and clutches?

Wonder what happens to what new inventory is on the lots I guess it will be a firesale to get people to buy them. What was it like when they just dropped the Sterling line up? Sad guess I'll get an IH in the future. I don't want a Ford from Mexico. This will help Ford sell more trucks in the future.

Monday, June 8, 2009
GM ready to drop Flint Assembly's medium-duty trucks
Robert Snell / The Detroit News
General Motors Corp. has scrapped plans to sell its medium-duty truck business after a fruitless four-year search.

President and CEO Fritz Henderson said the business has not been successful financially.

GM had negotiated with Isuzu Motors Ltd. as recently as February to reach a deal that would have kept the truck division in Flint through 2014. An earlier failed agreement with Navistar International Corp. would have relocated jobs to another factory.

Advertisement

About 400 hourly and salaried workers are employed on the medium-duty truck line in Flint, which produced 22,000 vehicles last year.

The medium-duty truck business is based in Flint Assembly, where workers will either be offered buyouts or be deployed at other facilities, Henderson told reporters today.

Production of the Chevy Kodiak and GMC Topkick medium duty trucks will stop by July 31.

Last edited:

td25c

It's sad to see any company division like gm medium trucks come to an end.They built a great truck throughout the years.I would say parts will still be available from aftermarket sources .They run a long time,Hear is a picture of our 1966 chevy c-60.All the repair parts for it have been aftermarket for many years.

Attachments

• red truck 001.jpg
    red truck 001.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 1,788

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Penske bought Saturn from GM and I think that is a bold step into manufacturing for that company. But what I don't understand is why they didn't buy GM's medium duty truck line instead of Saturn? To me it would seem a perfect fit to manufacture your own rental truck chassis.:beatsme

Of course a common layperson such as myself, doesn't know all the interworkings, corporate structure or earnings potential of Saturn vs GM Medium Duty but it still has me scratching my head.:beatsme

Sad state of affairs even though I never liked the GM medium duty line (or Ford for that matter).

Speedpup

Occupation
Penske will not manufacture anything. GM will make the cars for him under contract for two years then he will bring his Saturn line up from an overseas manufacturer. Which will mean more jobs gone in the USA. i am sure he will have some good input for the new models he buys.

Speedpup

Occupation
It's sad to see any company division like gm medium trucks come to an end.They built a great truck throughout the years.I would say parts will still be available from aftermarket sources .They run a long time,Hear is a picture of our 1966 chevy c-60.All the repair parts for it have been aftermarket for many years.

cool truck means my 1984 7000 can last 18 more years. ;)

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
GM will make the cars for him under contract for two years then he will bring his Saturn line up from an overseas manufacturer.

Which non-US manufacturer will be making Saturn for Penske?

Turbo21835

Penske bought Saturn from GM and I think that is a bold step into manufacturing for that company. But what I don't understand is why they didn't buy GM's medium duty truck line instead of Saturn? To me it would seem a perfect fit to manufacture your own rental truck chassis.:beatsme

Business wise, it makes sense for the Saturn line. Simple reason is the fact that there is a huge customer base for the Saturn. Something like 2.5 to 3 million is what Penskee says.

Dont let the two year deal fool ya. Think of it this way. Gm continues to build the Saturn line, Penske buys them, and then sells them. This continues the line. Two years down the road GM is in a better position financially, and they purchase the Saturn line back, bringing them back into the fold.

HEO Girl

Here, there, and everywhere in Maine and beyond
Occupation
Fence & Guardrail Installation
Wow . . I feel like I'm in Economics class *starts taking notes*

I never would have thought of it like that Turbo . . . But then again I really don't keep up alot with this stuff. It's strange to see such a large company like GMC struggle so much though . . It just doesn't make sense to me, you'd think they'd have allllll kinds of money.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Dont let the two year deal fool ya. Think of it this way. Gm continues to build the Saturn line, Penske buys them, and then sells them. This continues the line. Two years down the road GM is in a better position financially, and they purchase the Saturn line back, bringing them back into the fold.

In a time when car sales are at there lowest in years, how does it work out that GM produces the cars, Penkse buys them and then re-sales them for a profit? If the Saturn line is profitable enough for a "middle man" (Penkse), then why sell the line in the first place?:beatsme

JDOFMEMI

Good reading there amunderdog

Notice how Penske got to take credit for the revitalised company that was saved by the 60 series engine, which was released in 1987, a year before he took over.
Looks like he got a real sweetheart deal along the way.

oriden

Occupation
Equipment operator/ truck driver/ wrench operator/
the local GM dealer called my Dad, looking to see if he would like to replace his 98 pick up with a new one at " a deal to good to pass up" your not even at the lot they already up your ass for you wallet!

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Thanks for the link umunderdog. Puts it in perspective in the huge business and Wall Street world. I didn't know that Penske had a hand in Detroit Diesel, you, learn something everyday. (I guess I need to concentrate on moving dirt instead of arm chair quaterbacking the auto industry:rolleyes:)

Notice how Penske got to take credit for the revitalised company that was saved by the 60 series engine, which was released in 1987, a year before he took over.
Looks like he got a real sweetheart deal along the way.

Gambling with the companies debt on new R&D resulting in poor earnings was "swept under the rug" in the article as well.

Speedpup

Occupation
Business wise, it makes sense for the Saturn line. Simple reason is the fact that there is a huge customer base for the Saturn. Something like 2.5 to 3 million is what Penskee says.

GM is not expected to turn a profit until 2011 at the earliest. That is if things go well in the economy and with fuel which is now 62% higher than in DEC. 08. Fuel prices take billions out of the US economy. I forgot what it was for every penny it rises but the amount was huge.

My hope would be he takes over the manufacturing and lets Saturn keep running here employing people. He was also said to be wanting electric cars to sell.

oriden

Occupation
Equipment operator/ truck driver/ wrench operator/
speaking of electric cars GM seems to be dooing a good job at that already, check out the chevy volt set for release in 2011

Speedpup

Occupation
We are now near the point of not being able to make a meduim / heavy truck in this country. What is made here in the USA IH?

Speedpup

Occupation
speaking of electric cars GM seems to be dooing a good job at that already, check out the chevy volt set for release in 2011

New GM Battery plant in Warren MI.:usa

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
We are now near the point of not being able to make a meduim / heavy truck in this country. What is made here in the USA IH?

We have the Pete/KW medium duty line that has a new diesel/electric hybrid model. Are the Freightshaker medium duty's still made in US? The Hino conventional is assembled in the US but is still Toyota. IH makes chassis for themselves and Ford in Mexico.

Speedpup

Occupation
We have the Pete/KW medium duty line that has a new diesel/electric hybrid model. Are the Freightshaker medium duty's still made in US? The Hino conventional is assembled in the US but is still Toyota. IH makes chassis for themselves and Ford in Mexico.

Freightliner went to Mexico recently or is in the process. I thought KW and Peterbuilt were from Canada?

found this

Kenworth Truck Company, a division of PACCAR Inc, is a leading manufacturer of heavy and medium duty trucks. The company maintains its headquarters in Kirkland, Wash. and operates manufacturing plants in Chillicothe, Ohio; Ste-Therese, Que.; and Seattle and Renton, Wash.

Last edited: