• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Gland wrenches - Case 580B

ValleyFirewood

http://www.amazon.com/OTC-6613-Variable-Spanner-Wrench/dp/B000F5JMEA/ref=pd_sim_auto_3

I had bought that set this summer to repack the cylinders on my Bobcat but it didn't come in quick enough. My Dad has been working on hydraulic systems for about 30 years and that is what he uses for small cylinders.

I ended up making one. Found a piece of steel laying around (I bet just about everyone on here has some sort of "scrap" metal pile.)

Cut a "U" into it with the plasma cutter, drilled in a few holes for the pins. (measured out center to center with a caliper) Used some socket head cap screws for the pins. Welded a short piece of pipe to the plate, that pipe allowed a long pipe to slide in.

It wasn't pretty but it was all on hand and took about 10 mins to make.

I had thought about using a pipe wrench but the gland nut is aluminum and I didn't want to tear it up.

As far as pins, I've had luck with heating the area around the pin and then a tap or 6 with a big hammer.

Last edited: