• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Genie TMZ 34/19 Electrical Problem

Zhemagen

Hello all, I have a Genie TMZ 34/19 with hydraulic outriggers, serial number after T3402-115. I believe I'm chasing an electrical problem, I say "believe" because as the ground control and platform panels do not lower the outriggers at all, I'm a bit stuck. Until the outriggers are down, nothing else should function so it's difficult to tell exactly what does or doesn't work. The unit was bought, and brought to me, in this condition so I have no idea the last time the outriggers or anything else worked properly...but I think it's been a 'while' from the looks of it.

I do have solid, stable power to both boards and I am getting +5.0vDC on the control board test point. In checking for a membrane panel problem, I shorted a couple pins together to imitate the membrane overlay. Interestingly, the ground panel horn membrane button doesn't sound when pressed, however, when pins 12 and 16 are shorted on the ribbon connector the horn sounds. Also, when the membrane panel is connected, pin 1 appears to be floating. There is a voltage present bu it is tenths of a volt. Without the panel connected, pin 1 reads 5.0vDC. In an effort to override the panel, I tried shorting a couple sets of pins (outrigger auto level and outrigger extend) to actuate the outriggers.....nothing. Interestingly however, when I grounded pin 2 on the ribbon connector, both front outriggers deployed and lifted the front of the unit off the ground...so, the pump and at least the front two outriggers work. (By the way, don't ask WHY I grounded pins 2 as I don't have a good answer...just know that I did :) ) A couple other interesting behaviors. When first received, the platform control box "low batt" light kept flashing. Batteries are charged and measure good. After running a supplementary ground wire to ensure a stable solid ground, cleaning and reseating all connectors, the "low bat" light stopped flashing. After a while I got around to checking the boom safety switches as I understand the outriggers will not deploy until the unit thinks it is stowed. The retaining latches were released and two of the safety switches were not 'touching' (activated), so, I wedged a small piece of wood under them to ensure they were closed(?) (not sure if nohc or ncho...but I can assure you they are now "activated as if the boom were down and stowed"). Well, after ensuring all safety switches were 'activated' the four outrigger lights on the ground control display panel are now consistently flashing and the alarm is sounding every second.

I will continue to troubleshoot, but here are my two questions for the group.

1) This unit has the diagnostic display, but it doesn't seem to work. It will not light up even one segment. I have power and have ground continuity at J4...but nothing on the display when the buttons are pressed.

2) I'm also curious if anyone knows what voltage should be on pin 1 of the 16 pin control panel connector where the membrane overlay connects?

Zhemagen

Update: I've shorted pins 22 and 10 of P3 Outrigger to ensure the unit "thinks" the boom is stowed. Also, I noticed I do not have +24 volts at Pin 17 of P1. When I jump 24V to that pin, and jump 5v to pin 2 of P1, the pump does indeed function.

Does anyone know what supplies the signals to pins 17 and 2 of P1 Engine?