• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

genie boomlift decreased groundspeed

foolish

genie z34/22dc, electric motors. ground speed had been good, sat for a month and now very slow ground speed both forward and reverse, will not go faster. checked all batteries and they are good. have 51 volts to pr2 solenoid. not sure how to check ? on forward/reverse control in basket or controller in machine.
any ideas?
thank you, bruce

Tommy Bondo

Generally that would be an indication you have a proximity switch fault. Machine thinks it's lift is in the air even though in the stowed position.

03hdrk

Agree with Tommy. There should be certain conditions that keep the drive in low speed - boom raised, or rotated past a certain point, not sure if they would have put a reduced speed if battery voltage is low, but somewhere in the operators manual, there should be info, but you might have to read the whole thing. Genie has all manuals online - get your serial number and look at genielift.com go to support tab, then manuals on drop down list, then z-booms etc.. Toward the end of the service and repair manual you can normally find diagrams if you are able to use them. If your not able to read them you may find yourself throwing parts at it. I might be able to help you more, but would probably need to be able to get some pictures and be able to communicate on the phone. Definetly would need serial number. If you try to call genie, you will probably hold a very long time to find that they will not help you without and account and if the machine is over 10 years old - $75 for first call then $99 per hour after that - if you have an account.

Txhayseed

Do you have any error codes or the motor controller ?? Is just drive slow ? All other functions are fine and not speed reduced ?? The electric z booms have a travel or out of stowed position on the boom extend and primary boom raise. You can check both on ground control board with a meter looking for continuity. Wiring schematic is on web site. Calling genie direct with out some sort of idea is not very helpful. They will try to refer you to a dealer. They can not help you to much if you Dont have practical trouble shooting knowledge. They only have a hand full of guys that work in tech support and thats geared more towards vendor support. I would check controller and limit switches first using schematic you can download from genie if its just drive. Then check wheel motors. Battery voltage at batteries does not always= voltage is correct at motor controller or wheel motors. Bad connection, corrosion, ground squirrel, grizzly bear ect can chew up wires. Take the cover off and look. If all functions are reduced ID check the reostat. Again a meter and the wiring schematic can point you in the right direction with just a few quick tests.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
There's also a sensor that detects the grade angle. If the parameters are exceeded it goes into a reduced speed until the parameters are met again. Might be a problem there.

Txhayseed

Level sensor would keep you out of high speed drive but it would also limit your boom to less than 30 degrees. Level sensor also kicks your throttle/function enable out once active. If your boom raises up but still in low speed drive when stowed level sensor is most likely not an issue.you can check it to double check but they usually either work or they don't. Not usually intermittent issues with them.

foolish

thank you for all the help. i think i found the problem in the proximity switches. 3 had good resistance but 1 was very rusted and no resistance. so ordered 1 and hope it fixes problem.
voltage was good. no fault codes, most of other functions work except platform does not swivel, i am checking out the valves on that.
thank you, bruce

foolish

still have problem with ground speed.
i put on 2 new limit switches. did the flow chart for machine will not drive at full speed and it all check out ok, and no fault codes.
but there are 4 limit switches and it does not show how to check out ?#3 limit switch which i think is the 1 down under turn table.
which is 1 of the ones i replaced. i checked the continuity of each of the 4 wires to it and they were good. there is no voltage to any of the 3 wires to it, the 4th is a grd., with the switch in normal position or when it is in tripped position.
thank you, bruce

foolish

when the joy stick is pushed forward or backwards it will move faster the more it is pushed.
i don't know how to test it as there are 3 parts that rotate and a number of wires.

foolish

it is working. thanks for all the help.
i had 1 wire wrong on the limit switch by the turn table. and i checked connections of tilt sensor to ground control panel.
thanks , bruce