• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

General Engine Overhaul Questions

CraneInnovation

Occupation
Structural Engineer
Hello all,

I just removed the carrier cab on my Gradall to help speed up the rebuild process (cab metal work and complete control system rebuild). I noticed that this completely opened up the engine bay. I know engines are typically fairly accessible on big trucks, but the one on my Gradall is obscured by the cab. Specifically, this has given me awesome access to:

The air compressor
The fuel injection pump
The throttle assembly
The head/valves
The hoses

The engine is a cummins 6BT5.9.

The engine runs pretty good right now, but I'm wondering if I should take the opportunity to service and rebuild these items anyway? Most of these tasks would get MUCH harder with the cab reinstalled.

Also, the engine is completely covered in fresh-looking oil. Should I just go ahead and do a head gasket?

Finally....what are your opinions on steam cleaning? Due to power steering and oil leaks, the entire engine and torque converter are totally covered. I assume pressure washing isn't the greatest idea?

Thanks for the input!

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I have been pressure washing my engines every year for over 30 years. I hope nobody says it's the wrong thing to do. Of course a little diligence is required and a cover over intakes, oil dipsticks, etc. I do not spray the distributor direct on the gassers.

tctractors

The little 6BT motor does have its drama's with its single liner seal etc, the cooling system items on the engine (W/Pump, Oil Cooler/s Vee belts and pulleys are worth effort, the air side including filters trunking, turbo and waste gate also any inter or after cooler (Ref Engine spec') would be worth a peep, but if it runs well its not realy worth pulling big lumps off it, the valve lash should be a must do after you have steam cleaned the thing into a new pin look, the mid section valve cover links 3 cylinders holding loads of dirt under it waiting to fall in the engine as you lift it, the lash is 10 and 20 thou (10 Inlet 20 ex) the parts are low cost its your shout.

tctractors

Old Doug

I would wash it and start it to see were the oil is comeing from before i put the cab back on.When i have money i have a tuff time figuareing out how far to go. If it was runing ok and you have a ideal that its not wornout then i would fix the leaks and run the over head.

02Dmax

Make sure your crankcase breather is nice and clean/free of restriction. If its plugged it'll make the tappet cover leak. How many hours are on the engine?

BobCatBob

I would take a few pic's and post on http://www.4btswaps.com in the Cummins section. I received a ton of help when rebuilding my Detroit 453. These guys will know what to do.

Steam clean with a 40 Degree head, stay away from any hydraulic hoses (ask me why I know this) or rubber. It will take the paint off though (if using steam/hot water).

Here's a link on the help I received while rebuilding the 453:

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?35985-New-guy-with-a-453N

Last edited: